Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ford 9" I am building.

I can't get one of the axles all the way in. It starts to engage a little bit and turns the pinion but can't get it fully seated. It feels like the axle is hitting something solid.

Truetrac unit.

I had the housing checked for straightness and the differential shop said it was straight. Axles are brand new.

I could of swore I tested out the axles in the true trac unit months ago and it was fine.

Could the spider gears be misaligned like a trac lok unit? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have the axle in the wrong side? If you take the carrier out will the axles go in all the way?
I am positive I don't have the axles in the wrong side. I did double check everything.

The 3rd member is already on the housing for final assembly, but I believe I did test out the axles a few months ago when I got everything.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Do you have the axle in the wrong side? If you take the carrier out will the axles go in all the way?
I have one short axle and one slightly longer one in my 9 in. Switch sides and mark the pass/driver or left/right once you get it straight, also make sure the splines aren't damaged or twisted!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have one short axle and one slightly longer one in my 9 in. Switch sides and mark the pass/driver or left/right once you get it straight, also make sure the splines aren't damaged or twisted!
Maybe I do have one of the axles in the wrong side.

With the axle installed all the way I can't turn the axle or the pinion, but when I put the other axle in the other side when it barely engages I can spin it and then the pinion turns and the other axle does not turn.

·
Registered
936 Posts
on the side with clutches, the side gear is two piece.need to look and make sure splines are lined up. each half is 1" wide.need to put both axles in and pry bar on studs to get outer half to turn and line up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
on the side with clutches, the side gear is two piece.need to look and make sure splines are lined up. each half is 1" wide.need to put both axles in and pry bar on studs to get outer half to turn and line up.
This is what I saw on currie instructions, very similar or same to what your saying. Although my unit is not a currie.

If your double splines from Step 1 were aligned properly, you will have no problem just going ahead and proceeding with the install of this axle shaft. If the splines were slightly misaligned, you will want to insert the axle into the first set of splines, and then, with someone to help you, you will want to take 2 hammer handles or

the like, one on each side, and put them across the face of the axle (see
diagram at right) between the wheel studs, and then you will want to turn
the axles in opposite directions from each other and jolt them a bit which will
allow the clutch pack to slip, and the splined side gear to align with the clutch hub. This will then allow you to slide the axle the rest of the way in through the second set of splines and finish the installation of the axle shaft.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much force is this going to take say using 2 hammers for leverage bar?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Which axle can't you get to go in? The spline alignment with the side gear business is the Left axle (which also should be the shorter of the Two if they are different). How far out is the axle sticking? The inboard portion of spline depth is going to be close to the width of the axle bearing, about 7/8" (assuming it was figured properly when the axle was sized).
As to the amount of force...it will depend on the "break-away" torque needed to make the system slip. A number in the 250+ ft. lbs. on a stock Ford unit comes to mind...an A/M unit likely will take more. Hope this Helps, Lorne

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It's the long axle that will not go in. Is it possible to install the 3rd member upside down. Just thinking out loud.

But my long axle is the driver side.

·
Registered
16,050 Posts
Your 3rd member is installed correctly. Are the splines on both axles the same?? ie spline count and cut??

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Your 3rd member is installed correctly. Are the splines on both axles the same?? ie spline count and cut??
Both axles are 31 spline as far as cut they should be. How could I install it wrong? It's upside down? I thought you said in correct, my mistake.

I bought the axles at the same time same company.

·
Registered
16,050 Posts
Both axles are 31 spline as far as cut they should be. How could I install it wrong? It's upside down?
NO the 3rd member is NOT upside down in that picture.. If it was me, I'd pull the 3rd member back out and have a look at the splines in the carrier. Maybe slide the axles into it with it removed from the housing and see if both axles slide in the same amount.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me once (embarrassed) took axle in to have new bearing and seal pressed on, did not notice old race still in housing. I was trying to shove another one in.
Probably not, just something to check.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NO the 3rd member is NOT upside down in that picture.. If it was me, I'd pull the 3rd member back out and have a look at the splines in the carrier. Maybe slide the axles into it with it removed from the housing and see if both axles slide in the same amount.
I was really hoping I didn't have to do that, but maybe I have no choice.

·
Registered
16,050 Posts
Is there a chance that axle is to long for that housing?? J/A

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had the same thing happen to me once (embarrassed) took axle in to have new bearing and seal pressed on, did not notice old race still in housing. I was trying to shove another one in.
Probably not, just something to check.
Brand new axles with everything already on them. I thought all the hard work was done after putting together the 3rd member.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is there a chance that axle is to long for that housing?? J/A
It doesn't feel like the axle fully engages or goes in all they way.It slides in just enough to make the pinion turn. And it feels like the axle is hitting something solid.

I think I would be able to tell if it was too long.
It feels so good when it goes all the way in.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts