Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to replace the axle bearings, all the grease has been pushed-out from the gear oil. Have maybe 200 passes on them. My local guy can't cross them and so far have not been able to find anything.

These are Moser 35 spline axles, I think the bearing OD is 3.15", need to double-check that.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 88128RA is the correct OD and ID, but does not have the groove for the o-ring. Now, I doubyt I need that, since the oil pushed all the grease out of the bearings, I need a way to stop that from happening again..........

·
Registered
5 Posts
If your axle housing end has a single lip seal, then the o ring is not needed. Moser and jegs do sell the correct bearings with o rings. These sealed bearings come with high temp grese. If grease leaks out bearing your housing could be bent. Check your housing vent so its not plugged. Install correct amount gear oil. Jegs sells o rings separately.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your axle housing end has a single lip seal, then the o ring is not needed. Moser and jegs do sell the correct bearings with o rings. These sealed bearings come with high temp grese. If grease leaks out bearing your housing could be bent. Check your housing vent so its not plugged. Install correct amount gear oil. Jegs sells o rings separately.
I wish I had a seal in there!

I don't run much oil in the rear, drag car only, I think it has 2 quarts at most. This is a FAB 9 housing. I doubt the ends are tweaked, been like this for a long time.

What should stop the oil from getting into the bearing? The plastic on the bearings doesn't really look like it is much of a seal.

The housing ends on my other race car (also a 9" Ford rear) was able to accept a seal, which I just did, no more leaks on that one!

I will try a bigger vent on mine, only 1/4" right now, bronze sintered filter. I will put something bigger that will flow better.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can put a seal inside the tube or a slinger on the axle, the axle will carry oil to the ends
Whatcha got for me to look at?

My biggest problem is that the housing ends are not centered on the axle tubes. Why I don't know, but that is how it was made. So, a seal in the tube wouldn't work since the axle is not centered in the tube.

I will get the housing ends changed over the winter and probably shorten the housing and axles at the same time. Just looking for something short-term. I am thinking of putting a seal in the end of the housing end and let it ride on the axle bearing retainer. Will probably chew-up the seal, but it should last a few races. Never sees the street, so I'm not too worried.

·
Registered
570 Posts
RW508ER is the part number for the bearing w/ o-ring that you are looking for. I would strongly recommend at least 4 quarts of oil in a FAB 9 housing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A temporary solution might be a "Seals-It" axle tube seal. It does require removal of center section for install. Be sure housing vent is inboard of seals. Tube seals available from Jegs or Speedway.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
RW508ER is the part number for the bearing w/ o-ring that you are looking for. I would strongly recommend at least 4 quarts of oil in a FAB 9 housing.
Wow that is a lot of oil! I only run 2 quarts in a drag only vehicle 3 in a street driven one.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is a Chassis Engineering FAB 9 housing. They had told me to get the rear level side to side and add oil until I could see it barely start flowing into the axle tubes, that would be enough. That was just a tad bit over 2 quarts. Made thousands of runs like that and the gears and bearings were perfect so that is how it will stay.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Mike get a felt or old cork slinger, like they used to use in transmissions years ago. Get the felt or cork and cut to fit over the axle snug and fit the housing snug so it'll stay at the end. It'll knock the oil off the axle rather than carry it to the bearing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The bearing is available from Mark Williams part number 58504. It is a sealed bearing derived from the old '57 Olds bearing RW508DR but with a larger 1.562 bore. It the housing utilized the M/W ends there is a prevision for installing a inboard seal that would make it a easy fix.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The bearing is available from Mark Williams part number 58504. It is a sealed bearing derived from the old '57 Olds bearing RW508DR but with a larger 1.562 bore. It the housing utilized the M/W ends there is a prevision for installing a inboard seal that would make it a easy fix.
Do you have a picture of your housing ends?

I will be narrowing this rear over the winter and will install housing ends that will let me run a seal and avoid all these issues in the future.

The 9" rear I have in our slow car came from Moser complete and their housing ends had the provision for a seal so I just did that one. The only problem with it is that I think the seal I used in there should have had no lip to it. The thickness of the lip moved the axle bearing out that much, which forced me to make a shim to go around the end of the housing end otherwise the brake caliper bracket would get bent when tightening the four bolts, if that all makes sense. The brake caliper bracket used to sit flush against the housing end, but after adding the seal, it would no longer sit flush. I think I just have the wrong seal in there (OD and ID are correct, but need it with no lip).

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have available housing ends for most popular brakes. Most have the provision for the inboard seal. This link is to the service bulletin that shows all the ends according to brake types. You need to match your type housing end and then search the site for the specific housing end. Hope this helpes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most all of the MW housing ends have a seal provision. This is the link to the service bulletin that to identify the end you need. You can find the housing end part number by searching our site in the search box. If you need further help call our tech line at (866) 578-7346. Hope this helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts