Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok when I bought my rear end years ago I couldn't afford disc brakes AND the rear end so I had the rear end built with gm ends so i could re use my stock drums. Well I'm way past the point of needing better brakes so either I need to find a set of discs that will fit on my gm ends or swap them out for 9" ends.

Just wondering what is the going rate for having someone chop off my gm ends and weld on some 9" ones.

Any recommendations on an inexpensive rear disc setup would be great too. 72 Chevelle with 15" pro stars. Rear end is a Fabricated 9" from Moser with 35 spline axles Yukon nodular center with 3.70 gears, spool and billet pinion support.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
what hold the axle in? if you know the axle offset. finding a cheap set for 12 bolt ends is pretty easy. aerospace is $430 for 5/8 stud, 12 bolt bake kit.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a little horseshoe plate that bolts to the housing that retains the axle.

·
FUCKING ASSHOLE SINCE '61
7,350 Posts
Ok when I bought my rear end years ago I couldn't afford disc brakes AND the rear end so I had the rear end built with gm ends so i could re use my stock drums. Well I'm way past the point of needing better brakes so either I need to find a set of discs that will fit on my gm ends or swap them out for 9" ends.

Just wondering what is the going rate for having someone chop off my gm ends and weld on some 9" ones.

Any recommendations on an inexpensive rear disc setup would be great too. 72 Chevelle with 15" pro stars. Rear end is a Fabricated 9" from Moser with 35 spline axles Yukon nodular center with 3.70 gears, spool and billet pinion support.
Where are you at?
Give me a call if you are not too far away.
I have some stock big Ford ends from another job we could put on and you shouldn't have to change anything...
Just swap to Ford brakes.

OR...
I have a couple of sets of Lincoln Versailles stock from the factory disc brake
setups, caliper mounts for a big Ford.
The calipers and brake pads are available after market (Rock Auto)

OR, you could JUST swap the drums for discs

Try Willwood Brakes
www.willwood.com
I looked under 1972 Chevelle and this is SOME of the ones I came up with
#140-2112-DR Street
#140-0263-BD Drag race

These are for a 10/12 bolt rear end

I would put on some good late aftermarket discs on.

OR you could put some Ford Explorer discs on.

All kinds of options.

952-212-1118
Rosemount/ Apple Valley. MN.

Your Pal, Gary

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gary Im right in Saint Paul by the fairgrounds. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
If you brought it in clean and bare , probably 180/200

If you brought it in complete assembled 350/450

If you dropped off the car and left 550 / 750

Those prices wouldn't include parts and oil and bolts and however it was done.

·
Registered
597 Posts
By the time you buy housing ends, have the installed and buy a cheap disc kit, you will have spent as much as buying a new disc brake kit. Just buy a wilwood, baer, strange or aerospace 12 bolt disc brake kit.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have a 8.8 with late model 9" housing ends and found this brake kit on E-Bay. Comes with everything needed including E-Brake cables for 300.00 ..

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
By the time you buy housing ends, have the installed and buy a cheap disc kit, you will have spent as much as buying a new disc brake kit. Just buy a wilwood, baer, strange or aerospace 12 bolt disc brake kit.
I don't want garbage that's not what I mean by cheap. Just something affordable. It has to be some nice thick rotors so this heavy car doesn't warp them .

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The baer "deep stage" rear kit is nice for a heavy car.
I am in the process of installing mine now.
It is a well engineered setup with thick vented rotors, and will clear most 15" beadlock wheels too.
Just get whatever kit you want designed for your 12 bolt ends.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I had 11" drums on mine, and all was well on the street as far as stopping power, but they faded fast at 145mph.
My local track has a short shutdown so I have to get on the brakes quick.....
I know I'm adding weight, but safety first for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts