Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Creepy Ass Cracka
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for a little advise, or a "what would you do". I've been working at a very busy independant shop for a little over a year now. Before that i worked at two GM dealerships for 11 years. I've been "in charge" at this shop for the past 4 months and trying to balance my own work and the work of the other techs. However I'm at my nerves end with a few of them. They don't listen, won't do things properly, don't take care of shop equipment and fuck up customers cars. I spend more time putting out "fires" in the shop then doing my own work. Once it starts cutting into the money I make it really starts bugging me. The owner takes care of me but theres no way to keep track of everything I do. These guys are constantly wanting to borrow my tools and asking me to fix the work assigned to them . I worked hard to get where I'm at and don't like loaning out shit. Now I'm an asshole because I won't lend them a hand or give them a tool. I've completely cut everyone off from borrowing anything or helping them. Am I in the wrong?

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Start sending them bitches home.Make them buy there own tools.Take no prisoners.Good luck with that.It is VERY tough finding good help.

·
Creepy Ass Cracka
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Start sending them bitches home.Make them buy there own tools.Take no prisoners.Good luck with that.It is VERY tough finding good help.

I wish I could send them home. Shit, I would fire them. But its not my place to do it. My boss won't do it because we are so busy right now that we just need some "bodies" in the shop to get work out.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Now I'm an asshole because I won't lend them a hand or give them a tool. I've completely cut everyone off from borrowing anything or helping them. Am I in the wrong?
Ya your an asshole, but to them, if it wasnt for assholes like you (and me) little shits like them would not be around, PHUCK them! Take care of #1, thats you!
You need a "UFM" book (u fuck me) book keep track of everything, when you get in your car when you leave at night, just scratch your day in point form down in your book, you may need it some day.
I am also a mechanic for a heavy construction equipment dealership. I have guys bugging me all the time. I only now help the guys that want to do good!
Good luck!

·
Habitual Linestepper
1,457 Posts
If you have the authority to do so, can the ringleader in front of the others and be pissed off when you do it. Some of the others may shape up, if not can them too. Never have your livelihood suffer due to people who don't care about theirs ,if you can help it. Good luck.

·
WTF did I do now?
1,678 Posts
Just looking for a little advise, or a "what would you do". I've been working at a very busy independant shop for a little over a year now. Before that i worked at two GM dealerships for 11 years. I've been "in charge" at this shop for the past 4 months and trying to balance my own work and the work of the other techs. However I'm at my nerves end with a few of them. They don't listen, won't do things properly, don't take care of shop equipment and fuck up customers cars. I spend more time putting out "fires" in the shop then doing my own work. Once it starts cutting into the money I make it really starts bugging me. The owner takes care of me but theres no way to keep track of everything I do. These guys are constantly wanting to borrow my tools and asking me to fix the work assigned to them . I worked hard to get where I'm at and don't like loaning out shit. Now I'm an asshole because I won't lend them a hand or give them a tool. I've completely cut everyone off from borrowing anything or helping them. Am I in the wrong?

You should move to ohio and work for us~!!!! Your problem is not unusual anymore! This biz is not like it was 15 years ago when we started our shop!

·
Registered
475 Posts
When I started at a dealership in 1983 as an apprentice I got some really good advice. If you have to borrow a tool once that is fine. If you have to borrow a tool twice you need to buy it.

Buying tools is an investment in yourself. It was not always easy but you can't fix cars without tools and you should not be in the loan business.

To answer your question you are not wrong. If one of these guy's starts to buy some tools and shows you that he is trying then give him some help and loan him a tool. If not you are wasting your time.

·
Get you some
3,419 Posts
yep I totally know how that goes. I would stay there if the pay is good because its the same no matter where you go. I am shop forman at a busy gm dealer. A good leader does just that LEAD. Take some apps and start writing them up or letting a few go. Once they know you aint phuckin around then things will start to come together. As far as the tools go make them sign them out when they use them. Its not going to happen overnight but if you control the work flow you also control their pay.

·
Registered
56,906 Posts
When I started at a dealership in 1983 as an apprentice I got some really good advice. If you have to borrow a tool once that is fine. If you have to borrow a tool twice you need to buy it.

Buying tools is an investment in yourself. It was not always easy but you can't fix cars without tools and you should not be in the loan business.

To answer your question you are not wrong. If one of these guy's starts to buy some tools and shows you that he is trying then give him some help and loan him a tool. If not you are wasting your time.
Very well said!!! If these idiots can't take a hint with you not helping them, they'll get the hint when the door hits them in the ass!!

·
Cut me in or cut it out!
2,650 Posts
I am very much like you. And I've had to put up with pretty much the same thing. The last shop I was at for 13 years I must have saw 40 guys go through there, and 90% were the kind that did as little as they could, didn't care about whether the car came back in two days, and always wanted to borrow my tools. And I was the one that had to look at the car when it came back. Now I was paid slightly better and I got a few perks, but it is never worth all the stress that you get from it. Its like you get punished for being better then most of them. Now it is rewarding to be able to fix stuff that most can't or don't want to take enough time to figure out, but that doesn't pay the bills. That is why I'm working out of my house now.
Its a shame how many of the mechanics that are in the work force that are lazy, incompetent, and dishonest losers that I sure wouldn't want touching any of my cars! I am proud of every car I fix, whether it is a 2 year old high end sedan or a $500 beater. I feel good that I can do a better job then most of the fuckers out there!
Ron

·
Ask me about my Weiner!..
7,278 Posts
I dont mind loaning out tools to someone just getting started.. We all know how expensive tools are, and when guys are getting started, typically they have to start making money, before they can spend it..

If they ask me to borrow them, they take care of them and I'm not constantly looking around for my stuff when I need it, then I'm fine with it.. But after a while if they dont start trying to atleast get some basic stuff, then I'll cut um off..

As far as not being able to get your stuff done because of everyone else, get used to it. As you work your way up, it will get worse.. Finding "bodies" right now, someone that can half ass follow instructions, and who doesnt fuck up everything they touch, thats considered a good "tech" right now.. It's sad, but if ya go getting rid of the people who can find their way out of a box, your going to end up not being able to find people, or finding people that need you to pull their pants up for them after they take a piss. We've been looking for someone for yrs, just some monkey to turn a wrench and do what we ask of them, havnt found a fuckin thing. Managing a shop sucks.. I've been doing that since I was 18. Now I find that I'm having to wipe the office people asses too, which means I've been putting in a minimum of 18 hr days in the past 2 weeks, and sadly it's gonna get worse... People are getting lazy, doesnt matter what the field is. I've been finding that my motivation has been going down hill, for some reason. Our office crew used to be good at what they did, now they cant put in a invoice without fucking up the whole damn operation. Cant fire the bastards, cuz you wont find anyone to replace them. If you do, then ya gotta train um, which makes things harder.. In our shop right now, you have me and the boss man, the other 3 monkey's just answer the phone, and I shit you not, even thats getting to be too much to ask for. They think it's a competition, they count how many phone calls they've taken that day, and how many the others have taken.. If they think they've taken enough, they will no longer answer the phone... I dont know what the fuck is going on, but I'm burned the fuck out, I was burned out 2 yrs ago. But, what do ya do?? Your not a alone, if that makes ya feel any better.

·
itsjunk
2,118 Posts
i went to work doing insurance repairs on motorcycles out of highschool, you get 2 weeks training with one of the techs and then your supposed to show up with your own tools and be ready to work, if you dont have the tools to do the job you got to either rent a box from them at an outrageous price or pack your shit and go home. i could understand a little more leniancy in a garage becuase some specialty tools cost a shitload and people need time to buy them but otherwise dont lend anyone shit and if they dont like it send them home. That job tuaght me alot about being prepared.

·
Registered
19,500 Posts
Plain and simple automotive retail sucks. Ive worked with my fair share of phuckups and total morons. What a phucked up industry we work in. ive been doing this for over 20 years, Im currently in fleet repairs, but still I still see my share of the dopes that scatter this trade. Good luck.

·
Registered
16,501 Posts
Here's an idea. As far as the tools, if you're in charge why don't you start a "tool purchase" program at work.

It would work like this.

1. Joining is voluntarily.
2. Weekly dues are say $25-$50 a week (you should decide this amount this depending on various factors such as salaries). This is their money for buying tools.
3. Each tech gives you a prioritized list of personal tools they need - I would suggest helping them do this since you have more experience.
4. Once a month (or as needs arise) each tech takes the money and buys tools on the list.
5. At any time they can chose to take their money and quit this voluntary program.

When a tech comes to you to borrow tools but has not "joined" the program (or quits the program), you now have leverage. This is the time to tell them that "No, you can't borrow my tools because you aren't making a reasonable attempt to get your own" or "This is the last time I will loan you a tool. If you join the program then I would be more willing to help you while you are working on getting your own tools".

See how this works? You teach them how to manage themselves and no longer are the fall guy because they have a choice. Plus it does help them get their own tools - something a manager in your position should accept as part of your job. Win-win.

I know how this shit works. 35 years ago I was working a summer job as a mechanic. A co-worker "friend" whom I knew from high school borrowed my 1/2" breaker bar - and broke it. He promised to replace it but of course never did. I borrowed the show owner's timing light and accidently laid the pickup against a hot exhaust pipe - the next time the snap-on guy came by I bought him a new one and kept the "damaged" one. That's the way I was brought up.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Your in a tough spot. Start documenting all there phuck ups, etc. Have your boss give you the power to have them released if they don't straighten up. Take it from a guy who gave a phuck, worked hard, took pride in my work only to see all the hacks around him over selling work and making big money for 22 years in the same dealer. Now we lost are franchise and are dead slow. I believe alot has to do with the "warm bodies" we hired when we were "busy". If you don't do something NOW, you'll be looking for a job when the work stops coming in because of the other guys who don't care. Good Luck!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts