Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I put too much ATF in my 727 torqueflite auto and my dads says I need to drain it and put more in but how much does it take?thanks

·
Registered
431 Posts
The best way is to use jack stands, drain it out, adding fluid back to it untill it engages in reverse, with it running at idle obviously, then add fluid until it shifts on it's own(providing it's stockish) and then test drive slowly adding fluid until it shifts correctly. This will take time and patience, do not "gouge," on it until you know in your heart it's full enough or you will be rebuilding, again. Good luck.

·
Registered
355 Posts
or drop the pan, add 4 quarts, start it up in neutral check it from there. i believe it takes like 5 1/2 or some stupid shit. you dont have to do all that bullshit. just go drive it down the street like a normal human would. or you can do what i do and make a full pass with it. if its gona break atleast your close to your house lol.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
11 quarts total capacity. 5 quarts for a fluid and filter change. Put in 4 quarts and start car, put in R for 10 seconds, then each gear until you reach low gear, let off the brake and let the tires rotate in low and shift manually up to 2nd and 3rd doing the same thing. Step on brake to stop tires from turning and shift into R and rotate the tires. Step on brake and shift into park. Check fluid level and add as necessary. Dextron is suggested but Type F is fine as well.

·
Registered
566 Posts
OK I put too much ATF in my 727 torqueflite auto and my dads says I need to drain it and put more in but how much does it take?thanks
pull the speedometer bullet out and let it drain till its down to just a dribble. it will read full in neutral (torque flites are supposed to be checked in neutral) while running and you wont have to refill.
the bottom of the speedometer bullet opening is the same level as the full mark on the dipstick.

·
Tire Waster
7,086 Posts
pull the speedometer bullet out and let it drain till its down to just a dribble. it will read full in neutral (torque flites are supposed to be checked in neutral) while running and you wont have to refill.
the bottom of the speedometer bullet opening is the same level as the full mark on the dipstick.
Good stuff! I did not know that.

·
Registered
559 Posts
40 years in the business and NEVER saw a torgue-flite give up because of over full. low fluid is a whole nother story.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts