Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is better..setting the end play tolerance to low side or high side?

I thought by setting the final end play to low side because once it is in operating temperature the tolerance will be greater.

I've always set the end play to low side and I haven't got any trans failure yet. [ knocked on wood ] :) ...but someone I know insist that setting the end play to high side because once the trans is in operating temperature the tolerance will get smaller. :?

Is that person correct?

FYI...powerglide trans...he set it at .070"

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I personally would never let a trans with .070" end play leave my shop....

keith

·
Super Moderator
19,380 Posts
The end play has many variables. If its a glide and your setting it up with a front bearing ,you can go a little tighter because when it shifts to high gear and is loaded when the trans grows in length because of the flange plate flexing the bearing will tolerate the pressure. If your using a standard washer it will just melt.
Turbo's have similar issues.
Let me know more of what you are working on and i'll be glad to send you in the right direction.

Take care ,Hutch

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This glide have bearing instead of copper thrust washer. :)

FYI...I'm not rebuilding this Glide. Person I know is building this Glide and it is 3rd time in 7 quarter mile pass. :shock: He asked me to stop over and check it out for him. After thorough inspection and replaced couple clutches. I came to conclusion that the end play is excessive but he claimed it is not. :?

In my opinion the end play is too much. Too much end play can cause the sealing ring to exposed and fluid can leaked past the sealing ring.

I never had any transmission issue if I set the end play between .020" to .030" 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts