Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use the Harbor Freight auto dimming helmet? Is it OK for occasional use? Any recommendations for an auto dimming helmet?

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have seen these go both ways. I have seen the Harbor Freight helmets die in a couple of weeks. I have seen them last a year. Personally I would spend a little more for something more reliable. I use Speedglas but they are quite a bit more money.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
That is all we had in tech school. They work fine for light duty, if you are gonna be doing a lot of welding splurge on a better hood.

·
[email protected] JoeCool Performance
2,076 Posts
I have one and it works great!! A lot easier than the one I had to hold with one hand and weld with the other. Haven't had an issue with it yet.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I have a Hobart auto, and a Chicago Electric (harbor freight) at my shop. On certain jobs there are times when it will be an entire 8hrs of tack welding - The HF junk will have your eyes burnin where as the Hobart is fine.

But... thats a $300+ versus $40 shield.

For occasional use the HF stuff is fine.

·
veritas aequitas
2,204 Posts
the real question here is how much are your eyes worth to you?

kind of like buying a motorcycle helmet. if you have a $5 head then buy a $5 bucket to cover it,otherwise spend the money on a nice helmet, that includes a welding helmet. it's money well spent.

·
Registered
887 Posts
you only have two eyes that have to last you your whole life...sooooo my advice would be to not buy the cheapest you find...look at the specs and make an informed decision ! i dont know the specs so they might be as good as say....a miller or lincoln BUT check it out SOMETIMES there is a reason somethin is cheaper

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I got one from TSC and no issues. Just make sure nothing gets between your helmet and the arc. It will go clear quick.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
home use vs professional use. My HF one works fine though the battery has died many many times and my HOBART one did better when I welded all day for a living on MIG and TIG but was worthless on 1/2" drag rod or heavy wire on 1/2 to 3/4 inch plate. My good old heavy ass hood was the best for that.
There's always a right tool for the job then there's overkill.
Don't buy one off some truck sales phuck either! No better than your local welding shop ones!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
My dad and I both have harbor freight auto darkening helmets. Find coupons online, got mine for like $32. Peel the gay flame stickers off...lol

·
Registered
474 Posts
the real question here is how much are your eyes worth to you?

kind of like buying a motorcycle helmet. if you have a $5 head then buy a $5 bucket to cover it,otherwise spend the money on a nice helmet, that includes a welding helmet. it's money well spent.

BEST ANSWER RIGHT THERE>>>> THE Harbor freight, Northern Tool, and even some of the Early Snap'on helmets were all from same plant in CHINA. Some lasted a decent amount of time. THEY advertise that its a minimum shade 3 in static state and goes up to a 12. HOWEVER they do not pass the rigourous inspections for safety as do a SPEEDGLASS(3M), OPTREL (SWISS MADE), or a Huntsman/Jackson now owned by KIMBERLY CLARK. All huge SAFETY CORPORATIONS. When you buy a helmet for occasional use in the garage they are find cause the chinese lenses are 1/15000 of a second flash time which means. you have to flash your eyes 15000 times to equal 1 full second of arc flash to your eyes. NOW, THE SPEEDGLASS, OPTREL, and JACKSON.. 1/32000 How many times are you on and off that button, and what are your eyes worth. Id spend the money and buy the good one but I like my eyes.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
BEST ANSWER RIGHT THERE>>>> THE Harbor freight, Northern Tool, and even some of the Early Snap'on helmets were all from same plant in CHINA. Some lasted a decent amount of time. THEY advertise that its a minimum shade 3 in static state and goes up to a 12. HOWEVER they do not pass the rigourous inspections for safety as do a SPEEDGLASS(3M), OPTREL (SWISS MADE), or a Huntsman/Jackson now owned by KIMBERLY CLARK. All huge SAFETY CORPORATIONS. When you buy a helmet for occasional use in the garage they are find cause the chinese lenses are 1/15000 of a second flash time which means. you have to flash your eyes 15000 times to equal 1 full second of arc flash to your eyes. NOW, THE SPEEDGLASS, OPTREL, and JACKSON.. 1/32000 How many times are you on and off that button, and what are your eyes worth. Id spend the money and buy the good one but I like my eyes.
Well said. You really do get what you pay for.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts