Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after getting the news my car iscan be fixed one of the broken things I can handle is a couple of dinged up SS kooks tubes. I'm taping off one end and filling the tube up with water and placing it in my deep freezer. Hopefully the structure won;t breach but either way the tube is damaged and needs replacing. I've read the water freezing will push the dent out.

Gregg

·
Registered
525 Posts
Ive fixed a bunch of smashed tubes on regular steel headers by sealing off on both ends with plates and putting a tire valve stem in the collector end fill it with air and heat up the dent with a torch the dents pop right out. SS is probably a little harder but it should work.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well after getting the news my car iscan be fixed one of the broken things I can handle is a couple of dinged up SS kooks tubes. I'm taping off one end and filling the tube up with water and placing it in my deep freezer. Hopefully the structure won;t breach but either way the tube is damaged and needs replacing. I've read the water freezing will push the dent out.

Gregg
This sounds like a good way to 'split' a header. Rosebudding the header dent to heat it up and quenching it with water sounds much better.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This sounds like a good way to 'split' a header. Rosebudding the header dent to heat it up and quenching it with water sounds much better.
describe the technic ? hurry before it splits the tubing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Gregg

·
Former RJ instigator
41,192 Posts
hurry before it splits the tubing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Gregg
\
LOL well get it outta there dude!!

Just as he described, heat the header up with a rosebud tip on a oxy/acetaline rig, after u get it turn red hot, quickly dab some water on the dented area, the dent will usually pop right out, its take some getting used to but you can do it.
The concept is similar to the dent doctors trick, except they use a heat gun and dry ice, but its the same principle.

Goodluck, Cp

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
I do metal work and the hot metal/quenched with cold water will shrink the metal, if you have a raised spot where the metal is stretched this technique will work. The guy that filled the tube with a little air (a regulated air supply that you can increase, kinda like using a hydraulic pump) and heated the area with a rosebud has more effective technique. The best way is to cut the area out and replace that portion of the tube.
I've never tried to fix stainless like that (heating and stretching) and i don't think it'll work. Stainless has wierd properties, esp when heated, and it'll get 'grainy'. It is worth a try since it is already screwed up and maybe you'll get lucky, the worst that'll happen is that you'll know not to try that again.
Let us know what you try and how it came out, oj

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
Sometimes you can find a trailer hitch ball close in size to the header tube. Weld a long pipe to the threaded end of the ball for pounding it in the tube to knock the dents out. Some heat helps also.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Why not just replace the dinged section.

Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts