Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im using a coated 3/16 cable. Has anyone done the same and if so can you post some pics. thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Mine is held with a cable. Tech said kit was ok.

Tim

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
From the 2010 rulebook:

6:3 WINDOW NET
A ribbon-type or SFI Spec 27.1 mesh-type window net is
mandatory on any full-bodied car required by the rules to have a roll
cage. Window net must be securely mounted on the inside of the
roll cage, with the permanent attachment at the bottom. All
attachment points must be designed in an attempt to protect the
driver and avoid contact with track surface or guardwall. Eyelet
clips, dogleash hardware, hose clamps, etc. prohibited. Penetration
of webbing, except as performed by manufacturer, prohibited. Any
modification to net must be performed by manufacturer. A ribbon
type window net does not expire, unless it is torn or battered.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I am mounting my net this week and working through the bottom mount. Does a cable count as a "permanent attachment?"

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts
there are tons of cars out there with cable. i like the use a piece of tubing in the bottom and run a hiem joint at the main hoop end and a cable at the other end down to a tab on the rocker of rocker bar. that's with a swingout if you have solid door bar i don't know why you would use cable?

·
Registered
280 Posts
2 different guys teched my car and when asked about window net install had no issues. If I could post pics I would.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I plan on solid mounting at the door bar, just thinking out loud in case. My net should be here by the end of the week and once I can put it in the car, I'll be able to tell more.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
The bottom of mine has a rod end on the one side (rear) and the front side has a peice of cable with a crimped wire saddle. This is considered permanent IMO because the bottom can't be detached, it only swings down when the top is detached. If that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I agree 100% with what Comax Racing says and here is why,

I have a 12 pt Cage and a Swing out door bar in My Nova and I have a cable going thru a piece of 3/4" wide Flat Stock that runs thru the bottom hoops of the Net then it's bolted to the Main Hoop to a welded tab with 5/16 x1 grade 8 Bolt and all steel Lock nut but at the front of the bar I Put 3/16 A.C. Cable and then used loop type smash down Cable crimps and there is a small tab welded to the frame down by the sill plate that the cable goes thru and has the same type Connection (once you crimp them they are NOT coming apart if you did it right) and have been thru 3 seperate tech stations this past summer and fall and the only one that even looked at it was the NHRA Tech Guys and the one hollered at the other and motioned him to come over and I thought OH BOY here we go but I walked up and the one said to the other "Hey Look at this....this is sweet " and the other Tech Nazi agreed and told me that they see about everything you can think of but this set up was VERY NICE so you can take that for what it's worth all I know is I now Have a Season long tech sticker from the NHRA ......If you want I can go take a Picture and Post it ?
RC

·
Registered
737 Posts
^Please do post a pic

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
How I did mine

I use the spring to keep the net tight, hate it flapping around. Spring is 1/2 - 1/4 inch from coil bind so net will not go far if needed

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used 2 crotch straps from outdated 5pt harneses for the bottom mount bolted to the floor through the seat belt hole. no problems from any tech guy.

·
barndoorslammer
2,368 Posts
I know the rules say permanent bottom mount, but I just couldn't configure anything that would let me get in or out without some sort of acrobatics. I used the chassis engineering spring loaded rod top and bottom. No problems at tech....so far..:p

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I use a length of seat belt, looped through a bracket I welded to the door bar. It's "permanently" attached but adjustable so I can keep the net tight. It's been through literally hundreds of tech inspections, and survived a significant top end crash (where the net left marks on my arm through my firesuit).

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
I have all nets custom made to fit the main hoop, upper door bar and primary door bar. I fasten the net with 1/4" bolts into weld-ins to the main hoop and primary door bar. I use one buckel at the top front of net, this allows the net to drop down and you don't have to mess with rods, cables, etc. The nets cost a little more but it makes for a lot neater mount and there is'nt any mess to crawl over. Took quite a few nets that were mounted various ways out of cars after owners seen my way of mounting nets then replaced with a custom made net.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts