Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever gotten a damper with built in magnets from ATI for a SBC. I just got off the phone with them twice trying to figure out how to order this damper with built in magnets. I understand how this all works, putting the pointer at the timing you want to run (36 degrees BTDC), then look at where you magnetic pickup is, and make sure you put a magnet there, and then every 90 degrees. In doing that I have the magnetic pickup pointing right around 235 degrees ON THE DAMPER. When calling them they told me to order it by telling them where I want the first magnet ATDC???? So if I need one at 235 degrees ON THE DAMPER, from what they are telling me I need to tell them I need the first magnet at 125 degrees, as in 125 degrees ATDC?

·
Registered
9,271 Posts
No, first magnet at 55* atdc
360* - 235* = 125*
Puts you at 0 or TDC.
Now add 55* more because you want a magnet every 90*
So if a magnets at 235* then the next will be 325* then your next will be at 55* after TDC.
You 4th magnet will be at 145*

Make sense??

·
Registered
825 Posts
Or you could call Chris at Innovators West and he will be able to help you in about 2 minutes without requiring you to figure out where the magnets need to go. In addition, you won't have a damper that is doo doo brown and growing white fuzzy stuff on it in 2 years.

Chris and IW did a custom damper for me in about 4 days.

Jason G.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Or you could call Chris at Innovators West and he will be able to help you in about 2 minutes without requiring you to figure out where the magnets need to go. In addition, you won't have a damper that is doo doo brown and growing white fuzzy stuff on it in 2 years.

Chris and IW did a custom damper for me in about 4 days.

Jason G.
That is real sharp !

Steve

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
When I have my timing pointer pointing to the 36 degree mark on the balancer(where I lock my timing, 36 degrees BTDC) , my magnetic pick up is pointing to 235 degree mark on the balancer(235 degrees BTDC) Don't you want a magnet at the pickup with the balancer set to the timing you are going to run?
My calculations would show a magnet at 35 ATDC, 125, 215,305

·
Registered
27,121 Posts
I don’t think they put the magnets where you want them, I think they evenly space them, and you adjust with the slide for the pickup where you want them. It covers a wide range of advance, and retard.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don’t think they put the magnets where you want them, I think they evenly space them, and you adjust with the slide for the pickup where you want them. It covers a wide range of advance, and retard.
You definitely have to tell them where you want them. I thought when I told them which pick up mount I was going to use, and that it was a small block chevy they would know where to put them, but they dont. They need you to tell them where you want the first magnet, how many total magnets, and what distance between each of them. An MSD trigger is 4 magnets, spaced 90 degrees apart. But with a MSD trigger, and 3 bolt chevy pulley, you cant orient the crank trigger wheel in different ways, to get it one of the magnets to line up best with your engine timing and pick up mount location. With the ATI set up, you cant move the magnets at all once done, so you have to get it right the first time.

·
Registered
9,271 Posts
So magnets would be first one
55* after TDC
Next 145*
Next 235*
Last at 325*
Listen to me....
If you want your timing at 36* according to your pointer and you say the pickup is at 235* mark, 4 magnets every 90 * will put one right at 235* btdc, next one will be 325* btdc, next one at 55* atdc, next one at 145*
Then back at the 235* mark....
Get it....
Make sure you'll have enough adjustment on you pick up at the 235* mark.
So tell them you want 4 magnets...90* apart... You want the first magnet at 55* after TDC.

·
Registered
27,121 Posts
I must really be stupid. I’ve never requested where they put the magnets for a sbc, and I’ve always figured out how to time it. Lucky me.

·
Registered
9,271 Posts
I must really be stupid. I’ve never requested where they put the magnets for a sbc, and I’ve always figured out how to time it. Lucky me.
Your not stupid...
They usually put the first one at 50*, 55*, or 60* but can put them where ever you want, in my buddies case with his dragster his pickup is at the 6 o'clock position looking at the front of the engine, so normal placing won't work....

·
Registered
248 Posts
Listen to me....
If you want your timing at 36* according to your pointer and you say the pickup is at 235* mark, 4 magnets every 90 * will put one right at 235* btdc, next one will be 325* btdc, next one at 55* atdc, next one at 145*
Get it....
So tell them you want 4 magnets...90* apart... You want the first magnet at 55* after TDC.
This is correct. I have been through this twice with ATI. Both time I told them where I wanted one of the magnets and to put the rest at 90 degree increments from there.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Listen to me....
Get it....
I appreciate the help with this! The thing I cant grasp, is when you say 55* after TDC... when looking at the balancer from the front, isnt 55* ATDC counter-clockwise of the 0* mark? This is what is confusing me the most. My balancer is marked 0 at TDC and then from 359 back to 0 going counter clock-wise. I thought the location of 55* ATDC is the same as 305* BTDC on the balancer.

IDK, all I know is when I called them to get it done they told me I needed to know where I wanted the first magnet.

·
Registered
9,271 Posts
I appreciate the help with this! The thing I cant grasp, is when you say 55* after TDC... when looking at the balancer from the front, isnt 55* ATDC counter-clockwise of the 0* mark? This is what is confusing me the most. My balancer is marked 0 at TDC and then from 359 back to 0 going counter clock-wise. I thought the location of 55* ATDC is the same as 305* BTDC on the balancer.

View attachment 92503

IDK, all I know is when I called them to get it done they told me I needed to know where I wanted the first magnet.
Sorry... I miss it in my post it should be 55* before TDC for the first magnet.

·
Registered
27,121 Posts

View attachment 92503

I guess it’s because I never, ever, had a problem setting my timing with what they sent me. I was always between 44 and 53 degrees advance. Always figured it out. No ones ever asked me where I wanted the magnets. Good thing too. I ain’t too sure I’m smart enough to have even told them.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry... I miss it in my post it should be 55* before TDC for the first magnet.
Yup! and that is how all my confusion started. When I calculated I would need one at 55* BTDC I called them up thinking I could just order their "shelf stock" ones. They offer a "shelf stock" part number for their 3 most requested sbc 4 magnet dampers... 50*, 55*, 60*. But when I called to order they told me the 50*, 55*, 60* listed were ATDC not BTDC. When I mentioned to the guy on the phone so "if I ask for a magnet at 55*, I wont actually get one at the 55* degree location as it is marked on the balancer?" Phone went silent. I just wanted to make sure before I spent $350 on something I couldnt return, that they were asking me for the degree mark ATDC, even though their blancers are marked for BTDC. He said I lost him, so I said I will get back to him lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts