Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am having some issues with this engine I am trying to get together. Problem is it is running a Jessel Belt drive, and there is nothing stopping the Hub from pressing on to far since it doesn't have an oil pump on the crank anymore. We decided to build a spacer for the that issue. Now we are running into an issue of what seems like not enough crank snout with it spaced out as far as we need it. I am running a Lunati extreme duty 4.000" stroke crank. It's pressing on only 1" before it lines up with the alternator. Is 1" sufficient? Also, the total length of the snout from the jessel front cover where it's stepped in all the way to the tip of the crank is 2.875"s. Is that a normal length, or has this crank shorter for some reason? Lastly. I have 3 different ARP crank bolts for LS1's (2 shorter, 1 longer). With the longest of the bolts and the hub only pressed on 1" it doesn't even touch the threads. Sorry for the long read. I could really use some help on this. Thanks in advance. Pic of what i'm working with-

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I get a part number on that from you? It looks to be exactly what I need. Are you running F-body accessories? It looks like you are running a one piece hub without a custom spacer between it and the jesel belt drive. I've called ATI and they don't know what the hell i'm talking about...

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would take a pic and send to Jones Racing .... Soon as i sent him cell phone phones and showed him what i wanted to do he went me a new hub and mandrel EXACT fit and great service !!! I would have paid any price and it was less then 160.00 !!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Casey. Ill call them tomorrow. They do have great service. My external oil pump is from there. I will update with results if there is anything he can do.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like we may have found a better resolution to this. Going with a truck hub since they stick out further. It's actually an inch longer which will take up the difference we need. The other thing we have to do is build a spacer on the front side now since it's going to press on to far causing the lip that the washer from the arp bolt normallly contacts to be over the crank. We could have ran what we had and spaced it out, but it was only going to have 1" pressed onto the crank which may have been ok since normally they are only pressed on 1.25-1.30. But now that I have to order a new hub anyways we are going to go the truck hub route. Here are the part numbers from ATI if anyone ever runs into similar problems. 916430M (Hub) and sk629b (bolt on HTD drive, for external oil pump).

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Looks like we may have found a better resolution to this. Going with a truck hub since they stick out further. It's actually an inch longer which will take up the difference we need. The other thing we have to do is build a spacer on the front side now since it's going to press on to far causing the lip that the washer from the arp bolt normallly contacts to be over the crank. We could have ran what we had and spaced it out, but it was only going to have 1" pressed onto the crank which may have been ok since normally they are only pressed on 1.25-1.30. But now that I have to order a new hub anyways we are going to go the truck hub route. Here are the part numbers from ATI if anyone ever runs into similar problems. 916430M (Hub) and sk629b (bolt on HTD drive, for external oil pump).
I'm not sure that hub has a HTD drive on it. I think it has a small serp drive... 2 or three ribs. I "think" this is what it looks like.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's not how they told me it was. They said it was a normal hub and that the specialty htd gear bolted on to the backside of the hub where the a/c pulley would be. Ill call and verify Monday. Thanks for posting that though, cause now I need to verify.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
This is the balancer I used from ATI for an F-Body with the HTD drive.
I also milled down an oil pump drive and used it as the spacer for the belt drive.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
That's not how they told me it was. They said it was a normal hub and that the specialty htd gear bolted on to the backside of the hub where the a/c pulley would be. Ill call and verify Monday. Thanks for posting that though, cause now I need to verify.
Cool. Take a pic of it when you get it. It would be nice to have a bolt on hub... I hate having to make shit all the time... Gets old.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I called ATI today to verify. Rob over there has been a great help with all this. He said there is no small belt drive for the AC on this particular hub. I hung up with him and had a local performance shop order the parts. They should be here by the end of the week. I will update when I receive them with pics! Thanks for all the help everyone

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
OK, this is what I ended up doing to run a alternator. Parts list below.

ATI hub part # 916037A
BMR alternator bracket. part # BMR-AB001 (modified)
One stock oil pump drive gear. (modified)

You will need mill down a stock oil pump drive gear to .575" for use as a hub spacer. You will also need to eliminate the round spacer at the adjustment arm of the BMR alternator bracket and mill off .609" off the alternator holding bracket. Do this and you can run a Jesel belt drive cam, stock alternator, full size ATI damper, and a ARE dry sump oil pump and have plenty of engagement of the hub on the crank snout. I'll post some pics later.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the update on that. I should have all the parts tomorrow there was a bit of confusion on the parts list and everything didn't ship til Monday. Ill post pics asap.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got the parts. They are going to work out awesome, even though they aren't quite the full inch extra I needed to space it out. So we'll have to make a spacer behind still, but not as big as before, and we'll have more of the hub actually pressed onto the crank instead of only the inch we had before. I'll post pics of the new hub installed as soon as i get the engine back. I do have a couple pics of what it looks like unassembled though-

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
I got the parts. They are going to work out awesome, even though they aren't quite the full inch extra I needed to space it out. So we'll have to make a spacer behind still, but not as big as before, and we'll have more of the hub actually pressed onto the crank instead of only the inch we had before. I'll post pics of the new hub installed as soon as i get the engine back. I do have a couple pics of what it looks like unassembled though-

Cool. And please post the part numbers and any modifactions and spacers you make so others will have the data when they do a search.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Hey, did you ever finish this up? Got any pics? I should have a mock-up soon with a crank sensor. I got a bracket from Kurt but I have to make some spacers to make it work (Not Kurts fault)... Nothing is where he designed the part for, but it should be an easy modification.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
BUMP. So these spacers that you guys are talking about are only needed because you are not running a stock style oil pump, correct? Also, will it work with a stock style oil pump as I just want to run a fuel pump off it?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
The one I'm going to use is a Y body balancer with the HTD cogged hub. Bob at AEI is whipping up some new drive systems to use this balancer and his fuel pump mount and tensioner. He should be debuting this setup very soon. It works with the ATI 917289 I believe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts