Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on a basic SBC with just a v-belt going from the crank to the alt this alternator has stopped charging again. the last alternator out of no where did this too. seemed to start to act up right after making a pass. its a one wire setup. any clues as to why this is happening? thanks for any insight or things to look at.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Do you know what failed in them?
Do you have a disconnect switch?
Have you done any welding on the cars?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no welding done, no disconnect on the truck. not sure what failed as both just started to charge in the 8volt range for no reason.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
There is no possible way for an alternator to charge in the 8 volt range. How did you test them? If you are reading 8volts, it means your battery is at 8 volts too. If they are reading 8volts on a test bench, means they are dragging a prussumably good 12volt battery down to 8 volts, which is hard to do, and would require a large dead short. Large enough that there would be lots of smoke.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that was the voltage he had told me he read it at as teh truck has not be brought to my house yet to check it out. is it possible a bad battery could be doing this. im gonna be testing out all the wires when it gets here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Check all your grounds "Engine to frame, body to frame, battery to frame." Seen some strange things happen because of grounds, or not a consistant ground.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gonna have my friend drop truck off next week to check it all out. is it possible that during racing and taking the motor to 7k that i might be overspinning the alternator? since its only got a belt from it to the crank is the pulley maybe to small or something? just thinking out loud

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Get some good test figures and we will go from there. Alternator wont even think about turning on if doesnt see at least 10 volts in the battery.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
But what internals, could be something wrong in the system causing it. Do you know what parts went bad?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts