Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...in a big block chevy would you serously start looking into runnin a larger diameter cam?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You can get very aggressive lobes from a std. core. Why not list what you are trying to do and we can help you decide if you should step to the 55mm. There are more variables other than lobe lift that will determine this..

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can get very aggressive lobes from a std. core. Why not list what you are trying to do and we can help you decide if you should step to the 55mm. There are more variables other than lobe lift that will determine this..
Cam is Crower billet roller 806/775 284/304 116lsa. It is a smaller base circle than I am used to I just assumed with that lift they had to go to a smaller base circle. Is that right? I have never had a lifter durability problem but have been warned of it due to the small base circle. I currently use Crane pro series standard diameter lifters but will change to Crower or Isky.
This is a heads up stock suspension 69 Camaro and I do like to make short trips with it. The motor currently runs traction limited 8.50s at 160 in the quarter with a 32 jet in the fogger.
Thanks ahead for the help.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
No, smaller base circle camshafts are made for clearance with longer stroke engines and big rods, like aluminum. Only issue with the smaller base cams and lifters is that if it is too small, the lifter's oil band may fall below the bore creating a huge internal oil leak. As long as it doesn't do that, you are fine. I run the small blocks with smaller base circles all the time with no problems on the street. I don't see it being a problem in yours, even going to a std. base circle cam. You will just have to change pushrod length.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
common lobe lift is .450"....with 296 degrees duration @ .050" lobe lift.

somewhere beyond that, in a BBC is when you go to a stiffer / larger camcore.

only because the front of engine sees more actual duration than the rear cylinders due to cam twist.

some / many larger cores actually can run the same exact base circle, but just due to the larger and stiffer 9310 material, they do not twist, so a larger lobe or more duration is not allways the answer to more power..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts