1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading my
454 BBC , AFR 315 CNC, YSI Cog to EFI.

Camshaft Specs

Manufacturer
Crane Cams PN
16R000015 (custom) Duration @ 0.050 lift
246/252 degrees Valve Lift (1.7:1 rockers)
0.714/0.697-inch Lobe displacement angle
112 degree
I ditched my Vic Jr in lieu of a Pro-Flo XT. I chose the XT because I though it would be easy to port and has equal length runners. Anyways I did the process of using 4 dowel pins in each corner which Uratchko explained awhile back., worked perfectly. Problem was I could not position it without atleast 3 runners exiting onto the cylinder head wall. Redoweled twice, and settled on a position, welded the exit walls of 5 runners (4 front walls on one side and 1 rear wall on the the other) and both water ports, nothing lined up very well. After about 8 hrs of porting and I broke thru the wall. I was trying to achieve 35% of taper, I was at about 10% when I broke trough trying to straighten up a wall I had to weld.

I thought about just welding up the outsides of each runner but it already looks a little Frankensteinish and Im tired of working on it. Plus I m worried any more welding will really warp the machining surfaces.

My question is what to do. I think I will trash my XT and buy something else, expensive rookie mistake. I hate to go back to a carb intake because I cant port them for shit plus they just dont make sense to me when you have EFI. What intake would you guys recommend I buy.

Couple of questions:
1. I have looked before but is there anyone who sells a multi-piece manifold where you can line everything up and bolt together?
2. Is there anyone who make a EFI tunnelram for BBC that would fit my heads.
3. Lastly, not that I can justify the cost, but how does one get a sheet metal intake manifold made. Do you have to ship the engine to the intake shop? How much do they typically cost?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well I decided to fix my manifold more as a personal challenge rather than the smart thing to do. I will say before this project I could not one hand feed tig rod but now I'm a machine, 20 lbs of rod will do that. I still don't understand how this manifold fits the 355 heads on the edelbrock musi crate engine, ports were not big enough for my 315's. Maybe I had a bad casting since nothing lined up. Anyways I'm done, due to warpage I had to weld buildup and machine both the head and throttle body surfaces, I had never done that either but it fits my engine well. Anyways, here are the pics, enjoy.

·
Registered
20,372 Posts
I don't see how, this has same port dimensions for each cylinder, almost straight shot runners, and much bigger plenum volume.
Possibly the direction of flow from the carb pad has something to do with it vs this tunnel ram/log style plenum. Since you changed the taper how did you radius the port entry in the plenum area after increasing the top portion of the runners?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Possibly the direction of flow from the carb pad has something to do with it vs this tunnel ram/log style plenum. Since you changed the taper how did you radius the port entry in the plenum area after increasing the top portion of the runners?
I used a long carbide burr, still couldn't get a nice as radius as I would have liked liked.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,661 Posts
RUN THAT UGLY MF'R.....:)

·
Registered
20,372 Posts
I used a long carbide burr, still couldn't get a nice as radius as I would have liked liked.
Ok, I wonder if you should just cut the top off so you can get to it? Little less critical with no fuel in the plenum though...

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I love Frankenstein-lookin' shit like that. It just screams: "Out of the box wasn't good enough for me!"

·
Registered
115 Posts
What about edlebrock p/n 70855, tunnel ram efi base. With a couple of throttle bodies

Or is this a turbo engine ?

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
That's actually very nice build up work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts