Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gravel driveway that I need to get covered with something thats going to stay put. I would prefer to go with Concrete, but the money isnt there right now for that.

Anyone have any input on the cost of having Asphalt put down ?

The area I want to do is approx. 30' wide x 40' long.

How thick should it be laid ?

TIA

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you just have light traffic I would make sure you have a good stone base and install 3" of binder and an 1" of topping. That size drive I think you would be about $3.00 to $4.00 sq ft. as an estimate. You might look in to roller compacted concrete. It's kind of a new thing. Concrete from a paver. Then you can top it with an 1" of asphalt. With the increase in oil prices we may start seeing alot more of this.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
For an area that small It would probably be more for asphalt. The cost to transport all of the necessary equipment will be the same regardless of job size.

·
Registered
20,012 Posts
Asphalt only looks good for a couple of years. In about 10 years your looking to do it all over again.Oil and stone is nice because you dont have to worry about oil leaks. If you get snow you have to be careful or you'll plow the stones away. Just rake it and it looks like new again. I like to just pave the high traffic areas so you don't drag the stones into the house or garage.

·
Registered
185 Posts
got my driveway done a couple years ago 300 feet long i think it is 3 inches thick, have a big turnaround by the house at the shop and it cost me 6,000 the price to put concrete down was 19k so i had to go with the pavement, it has held up fine so far, i think it has a lot to do with the person that lays it, this guy that put mine down has done this forever...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
It depends on the quality of work, 3" should hold up fine. Just have to sealcoat every year after the first. Like anything you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I don't remember the exact conversation, but my neighbour got his paved a wile ago. He mentioned something about the stone/sand ratio in the mix. I think the more stone you have the better it stands up. ie turning with a tri-axle trailer. Some companies cheap out and put more sand. Something to think/inquire about.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
just dont spill gas or put jack stands or a jack down in the summer.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Riversand makes the mix easier to work and a good smooth finish but a all limestone mix will hold up a lot better.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I put a concrete pad in front of the shop to work out side, going to use black crushed granite and oil for the rest, rake and roller, easy to fix. I painted the pad right away with water based driveway sealer, not sticky. Looks great and it was going to end up black anyway. Cleans up easy and dries fast.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I paid $20,000 for a 80' x 80' area behind My shop last summer 5" thick.
Da** thats quite a bit higher than I was expecting ...... I wish I would've thought about this during the week and could've called to get some bids.

This is a pic of the area ( taken almost 2 yrs. ago ) I want to do.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I don't know anything about the cost of asphalt anymore but what I do know is be careful on how they bid the job. Example you might get a good price for 3" of asphalt and it's cheaper than another bid for the same thing. Make sure you read the "compacted" measurement. Is 3" compacted or is 3" put down then compacted. Learned that from living in a private subdivision and we had our own streets done. I was part of the committee that was responsible for the contracts.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I don't know anything about the cost of asphalt anymore but what I do know is be careful on how they bid the job. Example you might get a good price for 3" of asphalt and it's cheaper than another bid for the same thing. Make sure you read the "compacted" measurement. Is 3" compacted or is 3" put down then compacted. Learned that from living in a private subdivision and we had our own streets done. I was part of the committee that was responsible for the contracts.
Doesn't matter what the contract says, be there when they do the work. Every contract gives you a compacted depth, then you may get a scam company. The guy has sawed off part of the bottom of his ruler and put the bronze tip back on. When he sticks the mix, looks like "x" inches, but isn't. Two things to do when they show up. Stand there with a ruler in your hand, and tell him you are going to take a core sample. If you hired a rip off company, the guy will be running to his truck to order more mix.......

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Chip seal would be the cheapest way to go
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
i would go concrete. you have aprox 15yds $100 per yd, multiple material and theres your labor $1500 plus depending on the base you may need some 304 base limestone i say around $4500 would get it done concrete is getting cheaper to put down because of all of the cut throat companys out there driving the labor price down

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
The guy that did all of my flat work and poured walls on my house said he would concrete my driveway for $2.35 a square foot last spring. My driveway is 350ft. long. It figured out to $8225.00 at 10ft. wide.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Wow, I guess its safe to say my parents are never getting there 1.5 mile long driveway paved.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts