Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Building a mild 383 for a customer street driven pump gas car. Have world products sportsman II heads and will build your typical 383 short. What should I be shooting for compression wise and cam wise to achieve 450-475 hp range? Is it do-able with the current heads? Can this be done with a hydraulic cam or will I need to go solid flat tappet? He does not want a crazy radical idle but some lope is ok. Not sure a hydraulic roller is in the budget but might be able to convince him if its the way to go. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Roller is the.way to go but there are some good hydraulic came out there ..I don't see why that
383 shouldn't make 450 HP ..what cc is the chambers ..I made 550 with my 383 ..at 10.8 compression..and a little solid roller ..

·
Registered
527 Posts
Also had a 383 with Sportsman 2's, vic jr, 10.8-1. can't remember the specs but was a smallish solid roller with just under .600 lift, made 475 hp and 515tq on 91 octane. ran 11.20's raw, 9.80's on 300 shot at 3100lbs.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are 64cc and am unsure what piston to go with yet, either a flat top or small dish. Maybe my goals are unrealistic with the current heads but was just curious if it was do-able. Even if I got 450 hp that would be ok with me. I was looking at the voodoo and extreem energy cams in the hydraulic line, would I be better off with say an oval track type cam on a 106-108 instead? This is a street car that will see strip time maybe twice a year. Pretty generic build with no "great" parts thats why im unsure what to do.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I agree, 10.5:1 or so and a decent Hyd. roller cam. Something like the XR288HR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts