Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
A little higher on most stuff than here in Tucson,AZ area but most stuff in Indy is more expensive.........

·
Former RJ instigator
42,533 Posts
Last time I went to get a block bored and have a sleeve put in I like to have shit a brick, that was almost 10 years ago, holy shit has machine shop work gone up and yes that is about the norm today.

·
Trolling the Trolls
15,585 Posts
A little higher on most stuff than here in Tucson,AZ area but most stuff in Indy is more expensive.........
When you have the rep of Tony, Brian, and the rest who work there, a little higher price (not gouging) keeps the wannabees and brokedicks away. It is also about controlling the flow of incoming work.

Too high and no one will come.
Too low and you're busting ass and barely making money.

Finding that balance is not easy.

PS: My Honda head was bench flowed, decked, and valve seats cut at BES. It was a 20 whp bolt-on after basic tuning, 170 whp to 190 whp, need 10-12% more fuel due to better flow. The head was NOT ported by BES, but a local buddy that did GM V6 heads and Hondas.

·
Trolling the Trolls
15,585 Posts
Last time I went to get a block bored and have a sleeve put in I like to have shit a brick, that was almost 10 years ago, holy shit has machine shop work gone up and yes that is about the norm today.
Just the cost of running a shop is the huge part.

Me, building Honda trannys in home garage, $30 an hour. If I had a shop it would be $90 an hour and no one would come by.

·
Registered
882 Posts
You need to look at prices from several shops not just one. Price very around the country in different places look up 10 shop see what there prices are wright them down and add them up Divide by 10 and that will give you a better scope of what it will cost.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
My first engine builder let me help/watch him. I have to tell you, $327 to bore, hone, tap holes, cam bearings, freeze plugs, and wash is not a lot of money for the work involved. Think about the expense of the machines, electricity, and time spent....what are they making?? My guess is it would be hard for them to get $60 an hour on that job. Glad I didn't get into that field of work.

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
Thats cheaper than some people. I was quoted $450 to bore/hone and bolt on torque plate. Really? Its easier these days to sell what you have and go buy another motor built instead of dealing with lazy machine shops that get pissed off when you question work

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have paid more than that before from two different machine shops that did very poor work. We are talking overlooking very obvious things, not quite ordinary builder stupid, but not far off.

I used another shop that was cheaper than the above prices, but in the end that guy like to take shortcuts as well. Like when honing a block he wouldn't wait for the block to cool down fully and one side of the engine would have 1-2 thousands less clearance than the other side.

Now I have access to a badass shop with a guy that teaches me how to do my own work, I'm not fast at doing anything but it is done right.

If those prices are for actual good work, then there is nothing wrong with them. I actually really like that they post the prices, the shitty shops I used in the past would always quote lower and break it off in my ass for me to finally get my motor back. But that is how sup-par shops work, they know they only get one chance to screw you.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
We are not a race orientated shop but we charge. 15 per hole to bore 75 dollars per head on v8 plus parts unless it's some crazy design 40 for cam bearings 35 to resurface normal sized heads etc

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
My first engine builder let me help/watch him. I have to tell you, $327 to bore, hone, tap holes, cam bearings, freeze plugs, and wash is not a lot of money for the work involved. Think about the expense of the machines, electricity, and time spent....what are they making?? My guess is it would be hard for them to get $60 an hour on that job. Glad I didn't get into that field of work.
This

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts