Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird ask but...somebody I know says that the below combo delivered him [email protected]...in the 80's(3500lb chevelle)
I'm not a chevy guy so I don't really know what combos work...but this seems like BS.
STREET DRIVEN.

Bow Tie block, with a LA Billet Kryptonite billet crank with a 6.535 Carillo rods, the cam was a Crane F256 solid flat tappet, Crower enduro rockers. Heads consisted of GM Production 990 heads that flowed 380 CFM @ 28 inches, topped on the Dart intake was a 1050 Dominator. Ohh and I almost forgot............93 octane, 9.7 compression. NO nitrous.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
That engine combo sounds capable, but even a decently prepped drag car in the 80's likely only went 10 teens or twenties at 133 mph, that's the suspect part for me.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
My 440-6 Cuda ran 10.30's tuned by Scott Shaffirof.
small cam 10:1 4:10 gears 100LL, all MOPAR performance parts1980

·
Registered
438 Posts
until we hear about more trick shit I 'd say pass me another beer . nice block crank and rods but compression and cam ??? I think it's 150 hp short

·
Registered
651 Posts
The most important word in the OPs post is 'street'.

Some people will say that an engine idling & shaking with a 1200 rpm idle, 7" of vacuum, hydroboost reqd for brakes, & 4.56 gears is a street car. Others like me would say a street car would idle at 800 rpm, have enough vacuum to operate the factory brake booster & have no more than 3.55 gears...........

·
Registered
26,670 Posts
TELL US HOW PLEASE
Well, number 1, we don’t know the size of the engine. Let’s say for arguments sake, it’s a 427” 0.030 over, and they did a good valve job on the heads. And you loaned it out to an NHRA stocker guy for a month. There ya go. It is possible. The MPH to me is a tad low for a 9.80. We’ve been over 140 when running that number. But, we were a tad fast for that et. So, it’s in the ball park.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
78,344 Posts
Well, number 1, we don’t know the size of the engine. Let’s say for arguments sake, it’s a 427” 0.030 over, and they did a good valve job on the heads. And you loaned it out to an NHRA stocker guy for a month. There ya go. It is possible. The MPH to me is a tad low for a 9.80. We’ve been over 140 when running that number. But, we were a tad fast for that et. So, it’s in the ball park.
3500# CHEVELLE?.....THE MPH IS EXACTLY WHERE OUR 760HP SMALL BLOCK IN THE RX7 WAS...SAME ET AS WELL

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Yes, a well prepared stocker with an automatic today runs very close to those numbers, but the tires & driveline technology wasn't there in the 80's to run 9.80 with 133 mph hp.

The engine size isn't really relevant - 427, 454, 496 whatever....... Any of them could have done it

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
I was thinking it was possible??? But looking back, I WOULD BET IT'S BS TO ME!

I have/had the bowtie block LA crank deal. 499 inch with the 3.75 stroke. MOST LA cranks I have seen are 3.75 stroke. So that being said, you need RPM for that size stuff to run.

AND THEREIN LIE THE PROBLEM:

So Crane F256 (256 @ .050) cam flat tappet cam (usually wants WAY more compression then 9.8 to work well) and low compression along with those 990 lazy down low heads! THEN you add in the 3500 lbs car, it is leaning way more to the "it's not happening" side then the probable side, like 99% NO WAY to the 1% possible!

We did a 356 inch Cleveland back around 93. OEM ported 4v head 12.5 to 1 stick at around 3000lbs that ran 129 but 10.70. Each chassis/combo is different just don't see it happening like that back in the 80's.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I would also add that the Crane F256 camshaft uses a very gentle/mild lobe profile.
A stock class camshaft is orders of magnitude more aggressive.
I had helped with a 428 FE ford with the F256 camshaft (I believe the same lobe is used) It idled nicely and made some vacuum. Certainly not an all out race grind.
My brother used the F256 cam in a 390 - same deal - nice street grind.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Weird ask but...somebody I know says that the below combo delivered him [email protected]...in the 80's(3500lb chevelle)
I'm not a chevy guy so I don't really know what combos work...but this seems like BS.
STREET DRIVEN.

Bow Tie block, with a LA Billet Kryptonite billet crank with a 6.535 Carillo rods, the cam was a Crane F256 solid flat tappet, Crower enduro rockers. Heads consisted of GM Production 990 heads that flowed 380 CFM @ 28 inches, topped on the Dart intake was a 1050 Dominator. Ohh and I almost forgot............93 octane, 9.7 compression. NO nitrous.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts

I have/had the bowtie block LA crank deal. 499 inch with the 3.75 stroke. MOST LA cranks I have seen are 3.75 stroke. So that being said, you need RPM for that size stuff to run.

So Crane F256 (256 @ .050) cam flat tappet cam (usually wants WAY more compression then 9.8 to work well) and low compression along with those 990 lazy down low heads! THEN you add in the 3500 lbs car, it is leaning way more to the "it's not happening" side then the probable side, like 99% NO WAY to the 1% possible!

We did a 356 inch Cleveland back around 93. OEM ported 4v head 12.5 to 1 stick at around 3000lbs that ran 129 but 10.70. Each chassis/combo is different just don't see it happening like that back in the 80's.

·
Registered
26,670 Posts

I apologize guys. I missed the part those number were ran in the 1980’s. Never happened.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts