Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my first test for becoming a Millwright this Wednesday. I'm just wondering if anyone is a Millwright, and if so, any advice, information, etc. for the test? How about the trade in general? Any information, tips, warnings? Looking for any and all information and it is greatly appreciated. It's no guarantee at this point, as I said, I take the first test Wednesday. I'm very much looking forward to it. I need a career change drastically.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I have been a millwright for the last 13 years, I enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I've been a Millwright for 16 yrs and it is a good trade. I enjoyed the work. The best and most money making stuff is large plant shutdowns, I did the circuit for 5 yrs and made a pile of cash, if you can work long hrs without a break 30-40 days straight and 12hr/day then $$$$$. If you can back it up with a welders ticket or electrician you will always have work.

It does take its tole on your body, I had to quit the job because my back is fucked but if you work on small stuff it will let you do it longer, I used to do 400MW steamturbine major overhauls and it killed me.

·
Registered
819 Posts
evidently you applying for a non union millwright job? A math test is all you have to take to get into the apprenticeship....

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Specilized millwright here. Gas and steam turbines. Great job to get into to. I would sya try hiring on to one of the 4 big turbines compaines here in the states, Seimes, Alstom, Mitsubishi, or GE

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Advice: If you hear something move look to see what it is. It might be headed your way. Always think safety safety safety. The other guy might not be even aware you there. Millright can be a very good job, or a very bad one. All depends on what the facility is like and who you work for.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Specilized millwright here. Gas and steam turbines. Great job to get into to. I would sya try hiring on to one of the 4 big turbines compaines here in the states, Seimes, Alstom, Mitsubishi, or GE
I agree with this but try to get on to blading, if not you get to do all the rest of the shit heavy work.:) GE here.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
be safe the number one thing. were suposed to be one of the safest places but the bosses still push you to break the saftey rules. just had 3 guys get time off for lo/to and the boss was right there with no tag on it and walked away scott free.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
I retired a couple of years ago at the age of 53. Like others have said it beats up your body some and after 33 years I wake up with some aches and pains but who doesn't. Its easier now with all the safety rules that are in place to protect the workers but sometimes it actually made the job harder. I worked for a specialty steel producer in Pennsylvania so it was hot if they were running and cold if they were down. Our Winter shutdowns were fringed and we would go outside to warm up as the steel slabs would hot the cold. I actually loved my job till the new, lazier generation came aboard. They would rather sit around all day texting and talking on their phones. Most of the guys that failed our hire policies was because of testing positive for drug use. Our new hires make about 27.00 an hour plus some fantastic health benefits and retirement payments.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I work on the big air compressors and dryers. Mainly in oil refineries and chemical plants. Its not a bad gig to get into. Always a need for this type of work and lots of overtime hours. I've only been doing this for two years and it can take alot out of you.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I agree with this but try to get on to blading, if not you get to do all the rest of the shit heavy work.:) GE here.
Mitsubishi here. I do it all from blading to transitions to vanes. Sorry, thats buckets and nozzles to you GE guys. Starting on the 1st, i move from the tech side over to engineering

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I've been an Industrial Millwright for 14 yrs now. Great job at the rite place. Always trust your instinct. If it feels wrong it probably is. Only complaint compared to other trades, you can't find side jobs like a plumber /eletrician /auto mechanic can.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I retired a couple of years ago at the age of 53. Like others have said it beats up your body some and after 33 years I wake up with some aches and pains but who doesn't. Its easier now with all the safety rules that are in place to protect the workers but sometimes it actually made the job harder. I worked for a specialty steel producer in Pennsylvania so it was hot if they were running and cold if they were down. Our Winter shutdowns were fringed and we would go outside to warm up as the steel slabs would hot the cold. I actually loved my job till the new, lazier generation came aboard. They would rather sit around all day texting and talking on their phones. Most of the guys that failed our hire policies was because of testing positive for drug use. Our new hires make about 27.00 an hour plus some fantastic health benefits and retirement payments.
alot of our saftey rules make the jobs harder. can spend over a hour on lo/to to do a 5 min job. that has a saftey gate that wont allow the machine to start anyways... its the rules you gotta follow but then the bosses give you grief. i am part of the younger generation.. the problem i have found is all the young guys are on night shift and the bosses are all new and know how to be a boss not a mechanic. rather then listen to you they wanna be the hero and try to get it back to production with a band aid. you end up doing the same job 3x a night. then day shift bitches about it.

the work usually is not bad its all the hoops you have to jump threw. we have about 170 mechanics. and seperate electricians.. the electricians are treated like gold and can always blame it on mechanical problems to get threw there shift without troubleshooting. after 2 days of changing parts it can be traced back to a bad wire or sensor. the contractors say its the same bs everywhere they go..

in summary works not bad its the bs you have to go threw to do the job thats bad.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys. All good advice and information. I have a strong mechanical background, don't do drugs and don't mind the long, hard hours at all. I'm looking forward to taking the test and seeing how I do and possibly moving forward in the trade. I am taking the test in Kennesaw. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been in 1263 for 19 years. Some good , some better. I miss the car plants the most, and dislike the powerhouse.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts