Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know guys out there with 434sbc with stanard piston ring lands and getting away with heavy doses of nos..
Do u really have to have lower than norm ring lands or can u get a way with a better ring package....
If so whats the best rings out there for a 600 shot :D

·
Administrator
136,626 Posts
You can get away with it but your tune ups are gonna be critical. There will be a lot less room for error. I have run them .275-.350 down.. .300 seems to work best for me. The farther you move them down the closer the area between the 1st and 2nd ring become. Meaning more prone to collapsing the ring land... The higher you go up the more risk you run of burning the rings. So you will need to find one that works for your compression height.

My compression height was 1.150" on the 460 and was able to get a proper ring stack .350" down but it cut the 3mm oil ring below the top bore of the wrist pin. a 3mm package was a very poor choice.. It also have two .043 rings (1st and 2nd) also a poor choice. I ended up having the ring stack moved up .050" and it helped the oil ring but still had problems..

I went to a shorter stroke 422 CID (from a 4.25 to a 3.875) and moved to a 1/16 1/16 3/16 with support rail with a .300" ring stack.. Motor liked that ring stack.. also the rings showed the proper amount of heat in them.. No oil in the chamber and no oil ring problems..

Hope this helps..

Oh also I recommend hellfire rings with the proper hone for them. I used the C&A G-2000 TS rings with very poor results.. Gap the top at .0075" per inch can the second .002" bigger..

·
Registered
442 Posts
You guys both know what I'm doing. 350 Big shot plate with the 434, 1" compression height, standard JE piston, conventional total seal rings. Monte - how crazy is that? With a good tune up, what % chance of it living would you give it?

The reason I ask is I'm trying to make some winter decisions with the car and if it's a time bomb I may do something different.

nos81bu - you sell your mtr yet?

.......as always thanks for any input!

·
Registered
228 Posts
YDLUZ said:
You guys both know what I'm doing. 350 Big shot plate with the 434, 1" compression height, standard JE piston, conventional total seal rings. Monte - how crazy is that? With a good tune up, what % chance of it living would you give it?
I run off-the-shelf 1.00 JE pistons in my 434. Made 14 2kit passes without a hitch until I ran a different fuel. Then it lifted the land on #6. I have heard the same thing direct from JE..... going from say 1.00 to 1.125 isn't going to gain much of a safety margin. They told me as long as the tune up is good, it will make no difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts