21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7,515 Posts
^ believe so.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Would not doubt it, few yrs ago a header shop sold all of its assets i think it was hooker all the benders welders etc.
On a trip to California in 1986 i went to Hooker Headers place in Ontario. Just down the street to the west the Goldenrod streamliner sat outside at Summers Brothers.

We get there, a small old industrial looking building. Go in the door and it's all carpets and desks with air lines and 220 Volt electrical outlets on the walls. Workbenches had photocopies and file folders on them.I was told they make them in Mexico now

·
time to go racing yet ?
35,925 Posts
On a trip to California in 1986 i went to Hooker Headers place in Ontario. Just down the street to the west the Goldenrod streamliner sat outside at Summers Brothers.

We get there, a small old industrial looking building. Go in the door and it's all carpets and desks with air lines and 220 Volt electrical outlets on the walls. Workbenches had photocopies and file folders on them.I was told they make them in Mexico now
this place i think was in the south, like alabama, they where a header shop as the equipment being sold included the collector formers, vibratory polishers for ceramic coatings etc... must have been 10 mandrel benders, tons of welders, alot of support equipment, i was thinking hooker as alot of those companys bought out moved to the south.... this auction was within the last 5 yrs, maybe another header shop that did high volume.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hooker parts were made in Mexico for awhile. Three years ago I think I found one of the last pair of Hooker 2 3/8 - 5" collectors on the planet. I got those from Smiley's Headers in California. Smiley sent them to me without payment! I sent him a check as soon as I received them. At the same time we were reworking my old headers. They were built with Hooker J Bends originally. The new bends we used fit like shit. The tubing is smaller and fits loose in the collector. Fast forward to last month I blew up a header tube. The bends we used were Chinese Hooker J-Bends. I had to use a tubing expander to get them to fit tight enough in the collector. What do you do? I just needed a repair to last a few seasons. everything has gone to shit.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Regardless of where they are made,
they are still expensive as hell for super comps.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
this place i think was in the south, like alabama, they where a header shop as the equipment being sold included the collector formers, vibratory polishers for ceramic coatings etc... must have been 10 mandrel benders, tons of welders, alot of support equipment, i was thinking hooker as alot of those companys bought out moved to the south.... this auction was within the last 5 yrs, maybe another header shop that did high volume.
I think that may be where they made Hedman Husler headers. I think Bob Vandergriff owned that. I thought they were still around though.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The one I can think of in the last 5 years I think was Stahl....could not find a buyer for the complete operation, so they just folded it and auctioned off all the equipment and inventory.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Bought a car with a set of hooker headers back in 2006, terrible welds no clue how old they were.

Posted pretty much this on another forum not long ago, gonna add some more thoughts this time.

The Holley cast alum valve covers that I bought are made in china, says right on the box.

I don't like it but it's unavoidable for a consumer these days and only going to get worse now after the election. The BIG company's lobby politicians to change laws & regulations that help them import and hurt manufacturing here. It makes them lots of Money. Basically if you wanna compete then your gonna buy cheap unless you can afford the luxury to spend more and if things are gonna change it's not gonna be at the store, it's gonna be in congress. The ave person makes less and pays out more just to get by and I don't blame them for trying to stretch a buck. How has our dependency changed since the china virus, is it still the same, prob worse. Would you expect a racer to not exploit an option not outlawed? Would you pay more taxes or use the tax breaks? I don't like it but I don't see it changing unless people demand it be at a higher level than the store and I can't afford to buy 100% USA. Wish I could, sure some on here can and do, glad if so.

What also hurts American part co's is they often have many tiers of a part and china will copy the best version and sell it cheaper than their cheapest.

I've gotten comments on my videos over the ebay china heads, which I find funny. Cause lots of people seem to have no problem with cheap china turbos or LS swapping a foreign car all over youtube LOL, plenty of other examples. Also I'm sure many spend less than I do on good American made parts, I bought over $100 in ARP washers alone last winter and plenty of other American made good or bad parts(gotta return $100 in Crower new keepers that have terrible machining). I'm sure those people also spend more at walmart than I do LOL Still like I said I don't really blame basic consumers, they ain't the ones making HUGE profits selling out their own people.

In my opinion many American co's need to stop trying to sell consumers inferior products with pricing tiers and just sell their best at a reasonable price. For example it's been said, why are SBC lower degree heads still so high? These days if the product is good I'll buy it if it's made on the moon.

Your always gonna have cheap or bargain type people who buy as much as they can used anyway BUT if they can buy better new from china. For example some cheap new heads vs old worn out used that also then cost more to fix than the new china heads.

I'm sure my ratio of American vs china parts is changing each year and more often I find that the parts I buy trying to support an America co, is just a name on a box of foreign products that cost more than if I'd gotten it nameless off ebay. Like the Holley valve covers, I paid more for a name vs generic plain china covers and the reviews say they crack easy, so don't over tighten them.

I could go on and on but the truth is American co's need to adapt cause with the recent election, things are not gonna get better anytime soon. I'm Flint area so I've already seen it, the days of workers with lots of extra cash are going away. The younger generation won't have the money and don't have the patriotism.

Pretty sure some on here won't like my opinion as you can't make everyone happy, an if I cared I wouldn't make the videos that will guarantee I never get any sponsors like my Jegs crate engine review LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hooker is part of Holley which is a private equity company. The majority of their products are made in china. They buy good companies and outsource to China and we get stuck with crap products. MSD,RACEPAK,NOS,are just a few. Simpson, Detroit Speed will be garbage in a matter of time.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Last set of hooker headers I bought was in the late 80's. Had made in mexico stamped on them.

·
Registered
20,311 Posts
Made in the USA, or assembled in the USA-it is my understanding if the parts come from China, or somewhere else, but are assembled here, they can claim the product is USA. Some kind of legal mumbo jumbo, I guess. Guessing a good 80% of stuff we buy comes from overseas, and with people not wanting to go back to work, more will be outsourced. Best thing you can do is try and send the junk back if inferior, although not always possible, let them eat it.

·
time to go racing yet ?
35,925 Posts
The one I can think of in the last 5 years I think was Stahl....could not find a buyer for the complete operation, so they just folded it and auctioned off all the equipment and inventory.
stahl was very small compaired to this shop. think he only had 1 or 2 benders, and they where priced pretty cheap if i recall.

i did come across 1 manufacturer, but its not the one im thinking of, the link below is AP exhuast

the other header company i recall had alot more shit, a ceramic coating line, etc..... i have a few photos saved due to the machinery being custom made items like the photo below.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts