Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got under my car and found a crack in the cross member about an inch away from where the ARB ties into the frame.
Anyone have this problem?

I’ve always thought this was a relatively flimsy piece of metal to act as a brace for the entire car when it comes to alleviating the twist.
This is a TRZ weld in kit.

Any braces or new crossmembers out there for sale? Should I have tried to box it?

·
T/S 368E
26,852 Posts

Good thing you caught it.
Be careful and safe when you do the repair!!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
UMI MAKES BARS THAT TIE THE LOWERS TO THE UPPERS,WHEN WE PUT THEM ON MY CAR IT TOOK 3 OF US ON BIG PRY BARS TO GET THE REAR END BACK INTO PROPER PLACE SO THE UMI BARS WOULD GO IN...…...I ALSO HAVE BRACES AT THE FRONT OF THE LOWER BARS TO THE FRAME.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Glad to hear that you got that terrible frame twist situation corrected . . . . . . . Is it possible that the crossmember had begun to crack before the new bars were installed??

·
Registered
66,753 Posts
As mentioned, grind out the crack and weld it up and then box in that crossmember. Or, cut out that crossmember and fab in a new piece that is either full square or rectangular tubing or even round bar if you can make that work.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the TRZ kit but my tabs are to the axel tubes and the anti roll bar is welded to my frame rails. Is yours the other way around?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Looks like the cross member was damaged by some grinding then cracked. Also looks pretty rusty. It could most likely be repaired by plating/boxing it in with some new material. The existing cross member is rusted and looks thin so getting a good weld might be difficult. Might be easier to install a new round or square tube cross member.

·
Registered
66,753 Posts
Wondering this also.
Yes, the OP's anti-roll bar is mounted to the rear end and the vertical links attach to tabs that get welded to that crossmember. Many years ago, I installed one on my buddy's Olds Cutlass and had the same problem. Had to go in a grind out the split and weld it up.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
iansshop said:
Wondering this also.
Yes, the OP's anti-roll bar is mounted to the rear end and the vertical links attach to tabs that get welded to that crossmember. Many years ago, I installed one on my buddy's Olds Cutlass and had the same problem. Had to go in a grind out the split and weld it up
Yes, mine is connected to my axle but the vertical links are mounted to the crossmember.
I didn’t know you could mount the links straight to the frame?

·
Registered
66,753 Posts
You can't. There is no way to as the width of the anti-roll bar dictates where the links will fall.

·
Registered
821 Posts
As someone has already mentioned...yes its cracked, but someone cut the lip of the crossmember clear through (right at the edge where the wiring is going over the lip) doing whatever that shiney line is. The bottom of it looks like a small bump of weld? Did you tack the bracket on in the wrong place, then cut it off & move it? 4 1/2" cut-off wheel? Lorne

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
As someone has already mentioned...yes its cracked, but someone cut the lip of the crossmember clear through (right at the edge where the wiring is going over the lip) doing whatever that shiney line is. The bottom of it looks like a small bump of weld? Did you tack the bracket on in the wrong place, then cut it off & move it? 4 1/2" cut-off wheel? Lorne
Good eye.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Check your very back crossmember too. Those crack real bad on those cars, especially the way yours used to twist.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Is this a concern at all for Fox bodies? Just picked up a TRZ under-axle for a Fox that I'm about to get glued in, would any kind of chassis-side reinforcement be worth doing?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Is this a concern at all for Fox bodies? Just picked up a TRZ under-axle for a Fox that I'm about to get glued in, would any kind of chassis-side reinforcement be worth doing?
If the kit includes the same small tabs for the upper heim in the pics on the TRZ website,I'd want to weld them to a plate then weld to frame.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts