Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pro's, cons, advantages,disadvantages...

Lets hear some opinions.

·
Medium Pimpin!
8,852 Posts
Id go with the Ar. You can do so much with it. Minis only like to be feed with factory mags which arent always the easiest to find. Theres a reason why Ars are the choice for some many people around the world.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My mini would jam with wolf steel cased ammo, and wouldnt shoot that straight. Traded it and $160 for a dpms ar and would never go back. jmo

·
Friendly Shit Stirrer
17,285 Posts
If you want to mess around with it, AR.

If you want it to go "bang" every time, no matter what, Mini-14.

The AR has far more accuracy and customization potential, whereas the Ruger is more of an appliance.

Paul, Have you ever been prairie dog hunting? I have a bet/contest for you. Prime season is about to start in south dakota.
Lets bet a dollar per miss
Lets bet 5 dollars per jam
Are you game?
I have 3 ar15s
1 Les Baer
1 Colt
1 Stag
I have shot 500 rounds per day with only cleaning the barrel. Guess what I don't have any jams. So do you feel lucky?

Also to give you a chance. I have some old surplus wc-844 and wc-846 ball powder and thats what i'll load with.

·
Registered
12,909 Posts
I had a mini-14 years ago. I always liked Ruger stuff. Had a bunch of three screw revolvers, 10-22's, bolt guns. But that mini just shot like shit. Get the barrel hot and it's over. They may have improved since then, but I don't know. All AR's after that.

·
Race Pages Magazine
2,532 Posts
Sorry but those are ac 556s not mini's.
Same difference, more or less. Like AR-15/M-4...

Since its commercial introduction in 1973 the Ruger Mini-14 rifle found wide acceptance among both civilian shooters and a variety of police and security forces around the world. For government users, Ruger produced two specialized versions of the basic rifle - the Mini-14GB and AC-556. The former is still a semi-automatic only weapon, but is fitted with protected front sight, flash-hider and a bayonet lug. The latter is a selective-fired weapon, and thus can be classified as a true assault rifle. All weapons in the Mini-14 family share same basic design, although there are differences in certain parts; for example, AC-556 rifles had slightly longer receiver, which hosts the fire mode switch at its rear part.

·
Registered
55,322 Posts
Paul, Have you ever been prairie dog hunting? I have a bet/contest for you. Prime season is about to start in south dakota.
Lets bet a dollar per miss
Lets bet 5 dollars per jam
Are you game?
I have 3 ar15s
1 Les Baer
1 Colt
1 Stag
I have shot 500 rounds per day with only cleaning the barrel. Guess what I don't have any jams. So do you feel lucky?

Also to give you a chance. I have some old surplus wc-844 and wc-846 ball powder and thats what i'll load with.
werd

mini's are about the worst shooting guns ever made.

·
photobomber
2,512 Posts
werd

mini's are about the worst shooting guns ever made.
Mine shoots fine. Never had a problem with it, but then again, I don't expect MOA accuracy out of a $700 semi-auto.

I don't know why the AR ballwashers get all upset about this. Yes, today's AR is a very reliable gun, despite dumping carbon all over the bolt, needing a "forward assist", and having a charging handle instead of a proper op rod. It's a far more refined platform than the Mini-14 will ever be, but then again, it needed to be.

·
Race Pages Magazine
2,532 Posts
Mine shoots fine. Never had a problem with it, but then again, I don't expect MOA accuracy out of a $700 semi-auto.
Why not? I get 0.5MOA out of my $800 build all day long...

I get about 3-4 MOA out of my Saiga, and that'll work no matter what - even packed with the entrails of my slaughtered enemies as lubricant - and that thing was $269.

Using those two as a benchmark, the Mini doesn't graph well. in price vs performance, or price vs accuracy. I think it caters a a rather niche market that wants a wood-stocked (I know your Mini is the stainless/synthetic), more "traditional" rifle. Ruger knows that they have lost a metric crap ton of market share in the past decade, and have tried to improve the Mini's shortcomings, but with "traditional" turning into "old school," and modern advancements, I think the Minis spot in the lineup is rapidly shrinking.

Plus, factor in that Bill Ruger wasn't exactly a friend to civilian firearms rights...

·
102,312 Posts
We went from Mini-14's to AR/M4 a few years ago. Me personally I never handled the Mini-14, but I am glad we got the M4 because of famaliarization.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts