Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the right place for this. i have a 97 lincoln town car with 140,000 miles and i have noticed what i can best describe as a shudder. it does it every few minutes and last for about a second.my guess is the converter, am i close ? how much would i expect to pay to have it replaced if that is the case? thanks for any help....................

·
Registered
936 Posts
If the shudder is in 3/4 only then for sure torque converter clutch (TCC) or fluid is suspect.
The first solution is to service the transmission with MerconV per Ford spec, or some universal fluid with SHUDDER PREVENT (friction modifier). Often TCC shudder is present after the trans has been serviced by a shop or at home and the customer gets straight Mercon with no friction modifier (or is forgotten) or the current fluid has broke down over time/heat and friction modification is lost. THe simplest solution is to toss in a bottle of any variety of shudder prevent from your local parts store (on the transmission fluid isle). However it would be best to flush and use the proper fluid. If the fluid treatment does not help (often 99% does help) then the converter clutches are getting toasty and replacement is the next step...OR...some kind of TCC engagement VB or electronic solution which is usually a last case scenario.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts