Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to buy a 870 for a great price from a private party.I know the guy and feel somewhat certain the gun isn't stolen.

However I like the Ronald Reagan motto of trust but verify.The last thing I want to do is buy a stolen shotgun.Is there a database to see if the gun is stolen before I buy it?

I have the serial number but nowhere to check.

·
cynic/realist
15,961 Posts
Take it to the police and have them run the serial#.

·
102,312 Posts
Take it to the police and have them run the serial#.
What he said. Little advice have it in a gun case, with a lock when you take it to have it checked.

·
25,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What he said. Little advice have it in a gun case, with a lock when you take it to have it checked.
Hmm.Considering what happened in Detroit a couple days ago I would be leary of walking into the lobby with a firearm.

What happens if it is stolen do I get cuffed,stuffed and charged with a felony?

The only way I'll go that route is if I go with the seller and watch him do it.If he won't I'll pass on the deal.

Thanks gentlemen.

·
WTF?
12,518 Posts
How about just jot down the SN and walk in with a piece of paper?

·
Car ramrod
10,130 Posts
YOU CAN GO IN THERE WITH THE SERIAL NUMBER. TELL THE COP IT IS A GOOD FAITH CHECK AND THE SITUATION. NO CUFFS WILL COME OUT

·
WTF?
12,518 Posts
YOU CAN GO IN THERE WITH THE SERIAL NUMBER. TELL THE COP IT IS A GOOD FAITH CHECK AND THE SITUATION. NO CUFFS WILL COME OUT
Exactly. And why would you even need to take the gun with you?

·
102,312 Posts
Yeah, just walk in, lean on the counter and say, "I've got a gun..................................."
Knowing Dave by just the feel of how he post, I don't think that is how he would deliver that.

Take the seller with you, and a serial number but no matter if it comes back hot, you or the seller better prepare for a longer stay.

·
cynic/realist
15,961 Posts
I wouldn't deal with anyone who I thought might have stolen guns, to begin with.

·
WTF?
12,518 Posts
I wouldn't deal with anyone who I thought might have stolen guns, to begin with.
He said "I know the guy and feel somewhat certain the gun isn't stolen." ,

but seems the price is why he wants to make sure. Get the serial number, take it (not the gun) to the Police station. If it's stolen, he can tell the Police who has the gun. Pretty simple if you ask me?

·
cynic/realist
15,961 Posts
some certain it's an iffy deal. not the kinda people I'd hang with.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
man I'd call the cops.
I could see it get shity real quick for the guy who owns the gun if it would come up stolen for some reason.

·
25,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
some certain it's an iffy deal. not the kinda people I'd hang with.
Let me reinterate I'm 99% sure everything is cool but I only trust my father and brother 100%.It is more of a piece of mind thing.................I like piece of mind.

I'll get this done tomorrow and report back.

I'm not a gun expert so forgive if I misspeak or type I guess

Remington 870
Slug barrel and smooth barrel
Nice soft case
200 shells of el cheapo Federal birdshot
All of the above for 300 bucks
Only used for a couple days of blasting clay pigeons on another friends farm.He is getting divorced and selling all guns except his .45.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Chances are the cops won't run the # for you unless you bring the gun in. That way if it's not clean they keep the gun. If the seller doesn't know for a fact it's clean he won't do this because he will go to jail and lose a gun that he probably has some money in.

·
25,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It checked out guys.He dropped the price to 250 and I have another 870 to add to the collection.

I called my local PD and they said we can send an officer out or you can bring in the serial number.They weren't very receptive to bringing the gun to them.It took all of 5 minutes to verify it wasn't stolen.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I called my local PD and they said we can send an officer out or you can bring in the serial number.They weren't very receptive to bringing the gun to them.It took all of 5 minutes to verify it wasn't stolen.
My local PD won't run #s unless you bring in the gun or an officer has it in his possession ie they won't do it unless they can take the gun if it's not clean.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts