Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have a car that is running and the spray all hooked up...

408ci iron heads closed chamber 10.5:1 true compression on pump 94
Holley 140gph pump
two 12-803 regs (nitrous and motor run off same fuel supply)
Cheater plate with .047f/.055n jets
Super powershot purge solenoid
Currently 31 degrees total on motor, but going to try and bump it up a little on motor to possibly 34

This will be running on pump gas 94 octane, so I know I will have to pull timing. My question is how much will I need to pull? Also, currently running an NGK FR6 plug- with these jets, how much colder of a plug do I need? Fuel pressure recommendations?

Friend has a flow tool, but he has a .067" holley jet in there to flow with...will that work for now?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
we run joes car 40 on motor and usually pull 14* THats 26* to go 11.40's with the same jets i think....did you get that jetting from joe?> lol

Id start lower though because you have a little more compression. To be safe start at 20* then look at the plugs and add timing one degree at a time

WHat an fr6 plug ?

We run ngk 9's in joes motor, Do not use a projected tip plug....

I have a nice pic of two plugs and shows the heat move a lot with only 2* less timing....The pic is on my phone so if you wnat to see it, send me your phone number and i can text it to you

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Tony,

The jetting I threw in there is the smallest I have. I bought a jet pack, and decided to throw those in for the smallest hit and go from there....I thought Joe was running a bigger hit?

14 degrees dropped? I guess with the pump gas its a must...is the .055" a 150shot? I thought it was less in a cheater plate like mine.

FR6 plug is an NGK 6 plug, projected tip though I believe....Is there a visual difference between projected and non projected tip? And do I need to go down to as far as a 9, or would 8's be ok?

I wish I could send you a phone number for you to text me, but my current phone is an OLD SCHOOL flip phone that does not accept any pictures through texts and doesn't even have a camera LOL dinosaur shit...can Joe facebook it to me somehow? And what do you mean by the "heat moving alot"?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I pull 4deg from 34 on a 63n/53f in the plate. From my understanding a projected tip plug will act like a wick(get hot). You'll want a non projected tip and prolly a -8 heat range. Good luck dude!

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just some other stuff to add....it has 185psi cranking compression, cam is a 251/260 at .050, .590ish lift solid flat tappet 108 LSA installed straight up

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
DO NOT....DO NOT use a projected tip plug.

THe strap is too long and will pop and bang as you try nitrous,,,,,

Get a a ngk -9 plug NON projected tip.

Joe has fantasies sometimes, and will try to test and tune. thats when the car gets 60+ nitrous jets and sometimes even 70's....LOL ( the tracks DONT agree with him, and has had multiple reminders that he has NO roll bar..LOL )
THE 11.50 tuneup is 52n 47f...that gets him in the mid to high 11.40's with as much as 14* pulled, IF the air gets worse we may add a degree or two to keep the car where it needs to be.

I will see if i can text the pic to Joe and he can put it on his facebook. One plug has the heat athe bend, and we pulled 2* and the heat moved to the middle of the strap. Mph stayed the same. Honestly we should have kept retarding it, but kind of ran out of time that day.

DOnt know what intake you have, but his two hottest plugs are 3 and 4. the rest of the cyl all look the same. THose two cyl show the most heat on the straps, so those are the plugs i check first

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DO NOT....DO NOT use a projected tip plug.

THe strap is too long and will pop and bang as you try nitrous,,,,,

Get a a ngk -9 plug NON projected tip.

Joe has fantasies sometimes, and will try to test and tune. thats when the car gets 60+ nitrous jets and sometimes even 70's....LOL ( the tracks DONT agree with him, and has had multiple reminders that he has NO roll bar..LOL )
THE 11.50 tuneup is 52n 47f...that gets him in the mid to high 11.40's with as much as 14* pulled, IF the air gets worse we may add a degree or two to keep the car where it needs to be.

I will see if i can text the pic to Joe and he can put it on his facebook. One plug has the heat athe bend, and we pulled 2* and the heat moved to the middle of the strap. Mph stayed the same. Honestly we should have kept retarding it, but kind of ran out of time that day.

DOnt know what intake you have, but his two hottest plugs are 3 and 4. the rest of the cyl all look the same. THose two cyl show the most heat on the straps, so those are the plugs i check first
I will stay away from the non projected tip stuff...Just need to figure out the part number for the -9's in the small 5/8 hex stuff

If you can text Joe the pic and he can get it to me, it would definitely be cool...if not, no biggie...To be honest, im probably not going to get much tuning on this thing...maybe 1 or 2 hits if im lucky before the bottle empties and then packing it in since I also am going to be working on some motor passes with some changes I made to improve that area of performance.

Im running an Eddy Air Gap manifold, which I believe is the same manifold Joe is running. I need to school myself on plug reading before I head out so that I actually know much better what I am looking at when I pull the plugs

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK so it is a projected tip as I did some more research and found that out....But how cold should I go? Is a -8 enough, or should I go colder to the -9? Is there a downfall if the plug ends up being too cold?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I just bought some -8 tonight for Friday. They are 5673-8 stock #3249. I do not run a -9. I would almost think a 9 would be cold for that shot, maybe not. I am spraying 100 shot 53N/47F with 32 degrees timing down from 36. Tried 30 and timing mark was too close to base from what I could tell.

Good luck. Just be patient and take your time. Read your plugs.

James

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just bought some -8 tonight for Friday. They are 5673-8 stock #3249. I do not run a -9. I would almost think a 9 would be cold for that shot, maybe not. I am spraying 100 shot 53N/47F with 32 degrees timing down from 36. Tried 30 and timing mark was too close to base from what I could tell.

Good luck. Just be patient and take your time. Read your plugs.

James
I am running an iron head which is why I am thinking Tony is recommending the -9's?

Are you on pump fuel as well? what fuel pressure are you running? dedicated cell for the spray, or just teed off with a second regulator?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I have a holley black pump split into two regs. I set the FP for the N2O at 5.5 flowing through a 73 jet. Cast iron heads on my SBC. I do run 110 fuel just to be safe. I do not have a separate cell for the 110, I just run my car on 93 normally and run it low on fuel before track day and then put in the 110.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
I will stay away from the non projected tip stuff...Just need to figure out the part number for the -9's in the small 5/8 hex stuff

If you can text Joe the pic and he can get it to me, it would definitely be cool...if not, no biggie...To be honest, im probably not going to get much tuning on this thing...maybe 1 or 2 hits if im lucky before the bottle empties and then packing it in since I also am going to be working on some motor passes with some changes I made to improve that area of performance.

Im running an Eddy Air Gap manifold, which I believe is the same manifold Joe is running. I need to school myself on plug reading before I head out so that I actually know much better what I am looking at when I pull the plugs
sorry, u said u need a 5/8 hex plug, so i gave the series.. no really knowing what your head really needs for a plug style..

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Yeah, I guess just gave you what mine runs. Being mine is sbc and you have a mopar, it may not be the same number plug. The 5673-8 is a taper seat, small hex 5/8, and is short to clear my headers.

Hope that didn't confuse you.

Good luck
James

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys, no worries about the plug suggestions, I ended up with the ones that Tony recommended as his son runs a somewhat similar setup and cylinder head.

I got everything ready today and my bottle filled...Heading to the track tomorrow for a rental day, and hopefully after I fool around on some motor passes I can try this thing out on the hose and see what she does!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts