Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Outlaw 10.5 guy ran at the ADRL this weekend,

@ 3030 we have run 4.42 @ 169 with a 1.113 60 foot with plain old alcohol

We took out 240 pounds switched to M-5 and ran 3.36 @ 171 with a 1.094 60 foot.

The EGT and O2 readings say the the tuneup is close now with the M-5 and it is "Supposed" to pick your car up 4-5 hundredths in the 1/8th ...

And 240 pounds is "Supposed" to pick you up around a tenth in 1/8th..

Anyone have any ideas, I can understand track conditions could keep the car from ET'ing any better but only picking up 2 MPH from a drop of 240 and switching to M-5...

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
My Outlaw 10.5 guy ran at the ADRL this weekend,

@ 3030 we have run 4.42 @ 169 with a 1.113 60 foot with plain old alcohol

We took out 240 pounds switched to M-5 and ran 3.36 @ 171 with a 1.094 60 foot.

The EGT and O2 readings say the the tuneup is close now with the M-5 and it is "Supposed" to pick your car up 4-5 hundredths in the 1/8th ...

And 240 pounds is "Supposed" to pick you up around a tenth in 1/8th..

Anyone have any ideas, I can understand track conditions could keep the car from ET'ing any better but only picking up 2 MPH from a drop of 240 and switching to M-5...
lol you picked up 2 mph and a full second

·
T/S 368E
32,517 Posts

Sounds like you're asking in the wrong section.
Congrats on the world record!!

·
I kill parts
10,317 Posts
I'm guessing he meant 4.36.

I think the general rule of .1 per 100lbs is a law of diminishing returns at these power levels.

Not sure what all you changed in your tune up, but the guy I help with put over .020 fuel back to it, pulled 5 degrees of timing and it still torched itself going into high gear switching from M1 to M5. - Plasma'd the head, deck, and block plate. After that, I haven't tried it myself.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Sounds like you're asking in the wrong section.
Congrats on the world record!!

These are just the guys I am used to talking with... I dont hang much on the other boards...

and yeah people are probably wonderin why I was complaining about 3.36..... and at only 171 MPH at that....

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm guessing he meant 4.36.

I think the general rule of .1 per 100lbs is a law of diminishing returns at these power levels.

Not sure what all you changed in your tune up, but the guy I help with put over .020 fuel back to it, pulled 5 degrees of timing and it still torched itself going into high gear switching from M1 to M5. - Plasma'd the head, deck, and block plate. After that, I haven't tried it myself.
I have some pretty reputable people saying 150 pounds will get you .05 to .06 in the 1/8th

So I was kind of going off of that.. We were a bit fat on reg Alcohol

But we have been tuning with the M-5 the last 3-4 times out, but were have problems with making the 1-2 gear change with out blowing the tires off, this was the first weekend we actually made a few few clean passes..

Alan Dudley is helping with the engine tune and he is pretty happy with the EGT's 1150... and the O2's being in the 5.5 range..

We are going to retard the cam and see if that will pick up some MPH, and Moyers Guys says we can safely run 1300 on EGT's so maybe a little leaner will help.

I cant complain we took a real Outlaw 10.5 to an EX10.5 race and qualified for their fastest field ever, but were thinking we could get a 28 to 32 out of it and really expected it to run 175-176

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Jeff,
Weve had great experience with the M5, and havnt ran anything since we switched. We made absolutely no other changes, and went to the same track, with close DA readings. With plain alcohol we ran a best of 7.83 @ 175MPH. With no changes except the M5 we went 7.69 @ 178MPH.

·
T/S 368E
32,517 Posts

Just teasing, I knew it was a typo. I'm not one of the asshats that rip everyone.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Jeff,
Our EGT's are 1200-1300 all the time, depending on where we race. Not sure if it applies to non-injected cars, but they say to not worry about EGT temps as much, but that they are more there to let you know if you have a problem. With our EGT temps in that range, and our O2 in the 5.1-5.2 range, were still WAY fat, and dont see any bit of heat on the plugs at all.
Theres a good article on camshafts when running alcohol, and they mention an alcohol motor should be between 5.5-6.5 on the O2 reading, so were going to lean it out a bit more this weekend and see if it wont go faster.
Keep us informed on how you do.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kyle what is your combo you are running??

We are a 537 Chevy OLD Bowtie Heads, We have Dudleys MFI running 3-160lb injectors per hole..

We use a Bruno with a 3 speed Liberty and a Chance Converter.

I was not at the track with Todd this past weekend I had a MAKO race to run in Tulsa on Saturday, So I dont have a clue what the plugs looked like and Todd doesnt know what to look for with the M-5... But we are going to push the tuneup a little and see if we can get it to respond... the MFI has the abiltity to use a High Speed lean out but we have to have it wired into the box (no one was using it so they stopped adding the wire for it)

I want to put a Dry Kit Nitrous system and use it to lean out the big end but Todd is a little worried about doing that..

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
We have a 605c.i. big block ford motor. All aluminum with c-460 heads that flow an average of 516cfm @ 28" of water. Kinsler mechanical injection with 92 lbs/hr injectors, and 2.9" diameter stacks.
Umm...car weighs 2450, powerglide, 4.30 rear gear. Been 1.07 sixty foot, but is usually around a 1.10.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Freudian slip there Jim...

Hey have you been racing any???
lol i knew what you were meaning.......... went 4.23 @176 first weekend out with the twin deal I'm liking it

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Jeff,
Our EGT's are 1200-1300 all the time, depending on where we race. Not sure if it applies to non-injected cars, but they say to not worry about EGT temps as much, but that they are more there to let you know if you have a problem. With our EGT temps in that range, and our O2 in the 5.1-5.2 range, were still WAY fat, and dont see any bit of heat on the plugs at all.
Theres a good article on camshafts when running alcohol, and they mention an alcohol motor should be between 5.5-6.5 on the O2 reading, so were going to lean it out a bit more this weekend and see if it wont go faster.
With the turbo 3.9 was lean 3.6 it was a lot happier

·
Registered
3,460 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Jeff,
Up in the 5's on the O2 seems lean i though low 4's were the safe zone.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Some one please correct me if I was miss informed, but I was told that alky runs 1/2 the reading on the O2 when compaired to gas.

Ex 5.0af Alky = 10.0af gas.

True or false??

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I read an article that said an ideal AF reading on alcohol is 5.5-6.5. RPM data loggers sells their O2 sensor, which we use, and I think the instructions said the ideal is somewhere around 5.6 or something.
Were at 5.3, and still WAY fat, when looking at the plugs and how much raw alcohol comes out of the headers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts