Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone working on the marcellus shale, i am thinking about dropping out of college to just work. I am a sophomore and about sick of school. I have talked to people whos family was gauranteed 30 years of work as a drilling operator and the field is booming.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Aug 24 2011
How much is higher education worth in cold hard money? A college master's degree is worth $1.3 million more in lifetime earnings than a high school diploma, according to a recent report from the U.S. Census Bureau.

The report titled "The Big Payoff: Educational Attainment and Synthetic Estimates of Work-Life Earnings" (.pdf) reveals that over an adult's working life, high school graduates can expect, on average, to earn $1.2 million; those with a bachelor's degree, $2.1 million; and people with a master's degree, $2.5 million.

Persons with doctoral degrees earn an average of $3.4 million during their working life, while those with professional degrees do best at $4.4 million.

·
Registered
37,960 Posts
anyone working on the marcellus shale, i am thinking about dropping out of college to just work. I am a sophomore and about sick of school. I have talked to people whos family was gauranteed 30 years of work as a drilling operator and the field is booming.
Try to tough it out and finish up and get your degree.

The Marcellus will be there in two years. Will your desire to go back and finish up after 10 years of hard labor get to you?

The degree (no matter what its in) will always put you ahead of the candidate for employment who doesn't have one ... rightly or wrongly.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The only thing reliable about the oil patch, is its unreliable!!!!

There is no guarantee what so ever......oil companys change their mind and funding more than anyone changes their underwear.

If i were to do it all over again, I would of stayed in school and actually got me a ed-ja-ma-cation!!!!!

·
Registered
669 Posts
There are a few companys out there but like these guys say stay in school. But its your decision, the company I work for is Trican Well Service in Mill Hall, Pa. If had the chance I would have stayed in school but pretty much grew up in it.

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts

I would stay in Morgantown...In two more years you could be the boss of those out there busting their humps. Or you could go to work for the Mines Communication Project going on in WV to make the guys there safer.

Unless it is an absolute necessity for your families survival, I would stay in school. I quit college, went back a few years later. It was tough. Then I went off racing for a living...quit to start a family and found myself back in school at night working full time during the day. Got a second degree. If I was smarter I would have changed majors the first go around and never quit to begin with.

Now I am just starting to get where I want to be. Could have been here 10 years ago w/ no student loan debt!!!

I mean really...how many engineers do you know w/ a degree in music ed and a poly sci minor??:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Not going to college probably set me back 10yrs. in my career. Trust me I'm not complaining things worked out but I had to do it the hardway. As for Gas Well work it's the goldrush around Sw. Pa you can't find equipment and lots of work available if you have any knowledge in the field. My neighbor operates cranes on well sites and with OT. somedays he can bring in a grand a day before taxes , but the downfall is he is NEVER home.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Finish school. It is easier to stay in than to go back. What you don't know is that the years you spend in school are going to be some of the best times you will ever spend.There is plenty of time later to go bust your hump day in and day out at a job.Get the degree, then decide what you want to do.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Stay in school!!!!!!!!! No need for me to go into a long justifcation, just stay in school, it will pay off. During the summer, if you can afford it, go check out the rigs, try and get a summer job working on or even around the rig. You will learn more about it that way than just dropping out of school.

Now is the time to stay in school.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I started in the oilfield over 25 years ago, when I started I had planned on going back to school, now 25 years later I'm still doing the same old shit. I love my job, but I work ultra deepwater, and get to travel the world. I'm gone more than 7 months a year, don't get to see my son alot, yeah I make good money, but don't get much time anymore to enjoy it. One thing about land work is that when a new place to drill starts booming it's easy for lots of people to get jobs, but any little slow down and you are on the streets. I'm lucky, after all of these years I'm well known in the industry, I've worked for all of the majors & will probably always have a job, but I still get scared during the downturns. The best thing about specializing in ultra deepwater is that these rigs will always work due to having long & expensive contracts. Choose wisely, remember this is a way of life not just a job, and you could wind up like me having 25+ years in, with a 4 year old, knowing that I'll still be doing this in 20 years to support my family.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Finish your degree. It opens up many more doors. I left a year ago with 9 hours left. Decided I'd finish by correspondence while I worked in the same field you're looking at. I'm still trying to finish those classes and the more time I go the harder it gets. Just get it done as quick as you can and then get out in the field. If they guarantee 30 years, there will be a job for you when you get done.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
With only 2 years to go I think you would be throwing away a great opportunity to have a degree on your resume..That is just my opinion though.
I live about 20 miles north of your current location and while the gas industry is booming they are really just getting started,believe me there will be plenty of jobs in 2 years when you are done with school.
By the way my son in law is an English professor there, and my daughter is taking her masters for psychology there as well.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I say go out and make the money (and save it up)! Then go out and get your degree. So many young kids are getting out of college loaded up with debt and can't find any job. You don't want to be one of them kids, do you?

Maybe in 5 or 10 years the economy will change up so that you can do something with a degree other than wipe your buttcrack with the diploma.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
If you think school sucks just wait until you try work. Get your degree while you are young and your brain still works. Plenty of time for work later.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well my mom said if i dont get a 3.0 and a B in calc i am done this semster.. they talked to the girlfriend and said it was basically all her fault and they are going to spend the money on my younger brother because they know he will be successful in life. they told her they are keeping the nova and letting me keep the jeep and the stuff i own but they are done giving me money. said they dont care what i do but they are going to worry about me in the future but i need to find an apartment and my own everything. i was called a failure and fuck up basically. a couple months ago dad said they will always be my parents and support me in my decision, looks like thats alot of hot air. i guess my brothers and family hate me cause i spent alot of time with her over the summer and i said was done with family vacations, i am 20 do i really want to go on a family vacation? I pay for more than half my tuition, all my books, and most of my food when i have the money. she is always comparing me to my younger smarter brother, it really pisses me off. so it looks like i better get the job and apartment searching.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
well my mom said if i dont get a 3.0 and a B in calc i am done this semster.. they talked to the girlfriend and said it was basically all her fault and they are going to spend the money on my younger brother because they know he will be successful in life. they told her they are keeping the nova and letting me keep the jeep and the stuff i own but they are done giving me money. said they dont care what i do but they are going to worry about me in the future but i need to find an apartment and my own everything. i was called a failure and fuck up basically. a couple months ago dad said they will always be my parents and support me in my decision, looks like thats alot of hot air. i guess my brothers and family hate me cause i spent alot of time with her over the summer and i said was done with family vacations, i am 20 do i really want to go on a family vacation? I pay for more than half my tuition, all my books, and most of my food when i have the money. she is always comparing me to my younger smarter brother, it really pisses me off. so it looks like i better get the job and apartment searching.
Damn, sorry to hear that, but this is a different issue than staying in school. If you pay half your tuition, find a way to stay in, even if it means a loan or grant. Go see the college guidence folks. Your parents are just worried about you and are trying to put some heat on ya. Give them a call and talk it out, maybe they will re consider. Stay in school!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For the love of God, dont get her prego. PULL OUT. Good luck!!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Didn't get the support you were looking for here so you started a new thread?

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7156535&posted=1#post7156535

·
bye
50,511 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts