Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine mentioned to me that a company near me is looking for assistant aircraft mechanics.He said I would basically be a mechanics helper,yes probably the BITCH !!!!.My job in law enforcement is starting to get to me.After 21 years I am thinking of retiring 15 hour days running around getting called in for all types of nonsence, 2 hour drive homes yadda yadda yadda !!!! I would be working on leer jets/helicopters and doing some other duties such as parts inventory and helping in fabrication.He said they would teach me and send me to school. If anyone does this kind of stuff what are the days off/hours and pay like? It does sound interesting.

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
Nah, you don't wanna do that!...

Hey, but can you PM me the details for this "go nowhere" job!... :yawinkle:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
My mother ,father ,stepfather, brother, and grandfather are or were all aircraft mechanics. Better than law enforcement. I have a two year degree in criminal justice and 6 months of volunteering set me straight.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
A buddy of mine mentioned to me that a company near me is looking for assistant aircraft mechanics.He said I would basically be a mechanics helper,yes probably the BITCH !!!!.My job in law enforcement is starting to get to me.After 21 years I am thinking of retiring 15 hour days running around getting called in for all types of nonsence, 2 hour drive homes yadda yadda yadda !!!! I would be working on leer jets/helicopters and doing some other duties such as parts inventory and helping in fabrication.He said they would teach me and send me to school. If anyone does this kind of stuff what are the days off/hours and pay like? It does sound interesting.
You've done your time, get out and do something different. Sounds like a cool job.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mother ,father ,stepfather, brother, and grandfather are or were all aircraft mechanics. Better than law enforcement. I have a two year degree in criminal justice and 6 months of volunteering set me straight.
Thats pretty cool the whole family is in it.I could of pulled the plug a year ago just hung on for the 4 % raise.They are just wearing me out too many meetings/stats/eggheads that have never been cops trying to reinvent the wheel.It has always been interesting to me.

·
AMP Racing member
3,473 Posts
I'll give you the perspective from my side. I fly a Business jet. We have a mechanic that works on or plane and a couple others as well. He doesn't work hard all the time, but he does work hard some of the time. We've called him on a Saturday early afternoon to fix a problem. He was at a BBQ with his family. This is rare, but it can happen at a small shop. Business aircraft don't fly Mon-Fri 9-5

It can be a fun job, but know going in, that once you get qualified, you will likely get pulled away from something you really don't want to.

That being said, my mechanic has had a lot of weekends off. Me - I've missed a lot of races because I work a lot of weekends. If I lose my medical, I'd seriously consider becoming an A&P.

Good luck with your descision.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll give you the perspective from my side. I fly a Business jet. We have a mechanic that works on or plane and a couple others as well. He doesn't work hard all the time, but he does work hard some of the time. We've called him on a Saturday early afternoon to fix a problem. He was at a BBQ with his family. This is rare, but it can happen at a small shop. Business aircraft don't fly Mon-Fri 9-5

It can be a fun job, but know going in, that once you get qualified, you will likely get pulled away from something you really don't want to.

That being said, my mechanic has had a lot of weekends off. Me - I've missed a lot of races because I work a lot of weekends. If I lose my medical, I'd seriously consider becoming an A&P.

Good luck with your descision.
Thank You
I know the deal with working weekends,I get called in all the time.I have weekends off but if I get that call its go time.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thought u wanted to move away from there....?
Yes !!! With out a doubt!!!A bit delayed but we are coming down. We are are coming down in April.Unfortunately my mother in law was just diagnosed with cancer so we are on hold with putting the house up for now.It was actually going to be put up after the holidays.We had the real estate and everything ready to go.My buddy has been tormenting me that last week or so to go for the interview,even my wife.I am just miserable at my job lately.Like I said I could of retired a year ago.Even if its for a year or so.

·
pist'n Broke
20,936 Posts
sorry to hear about your mother in law. come on down when your ready, me and the wife are getting deep into real estate investing pm me when ur ready maybe i can find what ur looking for....i could have retired 4 years ago if i went into the air force for 20 years ago as i had planed .....but u know plans change, oh well live and learn....good luck with the job!!

·
Aviation Section
25,376 Posts
No, No, and No!, put in your time and get your Pension in the job you have now, and then I would still tell you no as aviation and aviation maintenance is a dead field. I am flight crew and an A&P.

Now if you don't need the money after you retire from the job you are in try it but it is not what you think, especially for a newbie with no licenses. Dave

·
Aviation Section
25,376 Posts
That's why all 121 Pilots have an instrument rating, so that we can get there even if we can't see! Dave

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
FUCK the city ! Retire.. you guys have the variable supplement still, right? Get a job doing something you enjoy, try not to touch your pension for the next few years.I work for DSNY, the job has become miserable in the past 2 years, 7 more and I am outta there.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FUCK the city ! Retire.. you guys have the variable supplement still, right? Get a job doing something you enjoy, try not to touch your pension for the next few years.I work for DSNY, the job has become miserable in the past 2 years, 7 more and I am outta there.
Yeah still got the variable,I will have banked $12,000 as of this Friday,21 years on,9 years as a Lt. I could of left last October but we got 4 % raise and I am in a pretty good unit so I stuck it out.I do 35-40 a month in O/T but its wearing me out,so is the hour to two hour drive home.My Capt is a good guy and takes car of me,but the NYPD has gone down the tubes the last ten years.Way too much responsiblity and liabilty on my end and way to micro managed.Thanks for the pep talk I gotta pull the plug on this job !

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, No, and No!, put in your time and get your Pension in the job you have now, and then I would still tell you no as aviation and aviation maintenance is a dead field. I am flight crew and an A&P.

Now if you don't need the money after you retire from the job you are in try it but it is not what you think, especially for a newbie with no licenses. Dave
Got my pension locked in .I am actually a year over.It sounded interesting thats why I am looking into it.
Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts