Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you like your job? What's a decent pay for someone who works in parts at a high(er) end dealer? I got offered $50k a year salary plus commission ($12-24k per year) with no cap. Right now I'm making $40k a year at a job I hate but get a steady 15% raise every 6 months, which stops in 3 years at $76k. Trying to decide if I should go to the much easier, higher paying job I would actually enjoy (somewhat) or keep at the physically demanding job that will earn me more money in the future. What would you gentlemen do?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I work at a very high end dealer, I am the parts manager here too. I could make more working at a higher volume dealership ie BMW, Merc etc etc. but we are family owned and often times its very laid back. I love my job and the people with it, to me thats more important than bringing home a few more $$$k a year at a place I could hate. Sorry if that doesnt help you much but its the truth.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I don't know anyone in the parts part of it but everyone else at a dealership usually says it sucks. I'm sure like everything there is more than meets the eye.

·
Registered
20,220 Posts
sales are a big deal, your expected to produce-sometimes its the diff bet. you and someone else hitting the road-just food for thought

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I put in ten years over 2 different dealership parts depts, one sucked, one was awesome. Parts is fun if you're good at it. Just because you work there doesn't make you good at it. Sounds like they've offered you a very solid deal though. I'd compare benefits too, that's where you'll win or lose. If a dealer offered me what they're offering you, I'd go.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I have dealt with many automotive dealerships over the years and have found that you cannot compare a job with one dealership with another. Many dealerships are family owned, have been in business for many years, appreciate good employees and treat these employees very well. Such dealerships have great morale and are very good places to work. On the other hand, many dealerships are owned by "primadonnas" who think that their poop doesn't stink and often treat employees as though they a pile of that poop. Also many dealerships are owned by corporate conglomerates wherein the employees are just a number . . . . . In summary, there are good and bad family owned dealerships and good/bad dealerships owned by corporate entities.
Before making the move, I would talk to people at the dealership - including others in the parts department, service technicians, sales people and even the receptionist. See what their attitude is and also ask the person doing the hiring, why did the person that you are replacing leave this job? Like Jason306 mentioned, benefit package will be something you will want to look into very carefully.
Good luck with whatever direction you take.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've worked at the same dealer previously as a driver (pick up and deliver customer cars). The service manager is a complete douche bag but the techs are all awesome guys and same goes for the majority of sales and service people. My sister-in-law has worked in their parts dept at another location for a long time and they offered her the manager position at the location I previously worked at, so she'd be my boss. So the person I'd be working for isn't a problem, it's just the job itself

·
Registered
515 Posts
I am on my second parts job working for gm dealerships. The first one was very laid back place but really no money to be made. The parts manager didn't even make 50k a year. Job number two is better pay but more demanding as far as sales go. I would like to get out of the dealerships though if I could find a better job closer to home.

·
16,373 Posts
45 years in Ford Parts. Was a Mgr. since 1981. Most experienced countermen in this area at a large dealer make between 70-90k per year. Mgrs. 125k.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I forgot to mention it's at a Land Rover/Jaguar/Fisker dealer
Shouldn't be hard selling a good dollar amount, nothing is cheaply priced on those cars. I know we buy from them when we need to. Also nothing is cheap to fix on them dam cars.

·
Mother Hen
51,761 Posts
Well put Carolinagirl. I was trying to be nice. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Was I not being nice? I just meant that luxury cars and people who drive them rarely get parts on the secondary market, they come from the dealerships. Try getting a BMW key from anywhere other than BMW.

·
On the roller...
15,881 Posts
45 years in Ford Parts. Was a Mgr. since 1981. Most experienced countermen in this area at a large dealer make between 70-90k per year. Mgrs. 125k.
That's pretty much 3-4x more than the parts guys in Southern NJ were making around my home town.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Was I not being nice? I just meant that luxury cars and people who drive them rarely get parts on the secondary market, they come from the dealerships. Try getting a BMW key from anywhere other than BMW.
Yup. There isn't very much aftermarket support for Rovers and Jags. People who own those 2 makes aren't cheap either. 85% of the cars I picked up for service, the owners would say "they have my credit card on file. Fix whatever is wrong and drop it off when it's done"

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I worked in both a GM and Chrysler store in parts and hated both. The commission targets were constantly changing. Low pay, long hours, little or no benefits, and having to deal with egos from the ownership and sales force chased me away and I never looked back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts