Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a interveiw tuesday with a local shop.be welding /fabricating and preventive maitenance on them.guy i talked to today called bout 9 this morning and said he was very pleased with my resume and wanted to meet asap. i applied with them in dec.i figured it was filled already and the holidays might slow it down.my old pay was 18 and im wandering if itll be close to that.if more thank god if close imma still have to take it even tho i put it on the application.he said to me he had over 100 applicants and i was best qualified so?unemployeement isnt for me.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
north carolina

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just want to make sure if the money is right being in shop there.repair and fabricating is what im interveiwing for.he told me they is no layoff with them they are always busy.so thats my drawing point.cant get past the jobs that turnover after 4 years and im not getting younger.

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
I used to work for CAT years ago and the techs there made decent money. I can't put an exact dollar figure on it because I wasn't one but I'd guess low to mid 20's an hour and just about all the overtime you wanted.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thats what i like to hear.im not a tech tho.ill be repairing the steel parts and i guess other stuff.he told me they are plenty of hours to work tho.i have to drive 38 miles but im use to it.if they offer school ill go too.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I think 18 is very low pay for a heavy equipment dealership. I dont know what qualifications you have, but I am a diesel mechanic here in ontario Canada, for Volvo (same as cat, just different brand) average out here is high 20's, Low 30's an hour!

·
Registered
466 Posts
who nos about a 3406 b peak motor half/bread

it stals then will restart in 2 minutes no fuel problem
its electrical brings up code 55

its in a 1991 ford with 41,000 original miles

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
i know that obama talked them into opening a new plant in the u.s. .... they are building one here in so. texas ...

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
I think 18 is very low pay for a heavy equipment dealership. I dont know what qualifications you have, but I am a diesel mechanic here in ontario Canada, for Volvo (same as cat, just different brand) average out here is high 20's, Low 30's an hour!
I don't know what Cat pays in US but finding a diesel tech job that pays is not easy. I use to be certified diesel tech several years ago book time. It was decent i've seen a trend dealerships going hourly $12-$18 per hour while the shop gets book time $80 plus an hour... I don't know how they buy tools and feed their familys like this. Finding good techs is hard and most still will not pay decent.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Dealer pay will vary widely with the region and whether or not you're union.

If you can start at 18 I'll bet you'll be moved up fairly quickly.

·
Registered
200 Posts
who nos about a 3406 b peak motor half/bread

it stals then will restart in 2 minutes no fuel problem
its electrical brings up code 55

its in a 1991 ford with 41,000 original miles
We used to call them "Peecs of shit". If it has that low of mileage everything on it probably needs to be replaced! Cat just about updated all of the electronic parts on them from figuring out the original designs were shit. Rack position sensor, timing sensor, engine speed sensor, rack and timing btm's and transducer modules were all updated and improved. code 55 is no active code. Unfortunately the original ecm's weren't smart enough to log any codes so unless you were hooked up to it when the problem was actually happening you have no idea what code it would be. Oil pressure sensors were originally part of the transducer module which is located on the bottom rear of the injection pump. It cost about 600.00 so they came up with a kit to install an external oil pressure sensor by the oil cooler. This was one of the most common failures and may be a good place to start. I can get you the part # for the kit if you need it just shoot me a pm.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I work for Matlad in asheboro, we paint hydraulic cylinders of alllll sizes for cat, and also machines like the small tire loaders,backhoes,skidsteers and bulldozers.

From what i hear, cat pays pretty good and they have great benefits and all the guys from cat ive met through matlab love their job, i say go for it!

·
Registered
682 Posts
I work for Matlad in asheboro, we paint hydraulic cylinders of alllll sizes for cat, and also machines like the small tire loaders,backhoes,skidsteers and bulldozers.

From what i hear, cat pays pretty good and they have great benefits and all the guys from cat ive met through matlab love their job, i say go for it!
sorry, Matlab, not matlad

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
when i said sumptin bout my old pay at my last jobs welding he said i was really overly qualified for the welding job.i just be repairing the steel parts that neeed resurfaced and replaced and he said possibly bearing replacements.i got a shi.load of certs for welding in mig tig pulse stainles all in 6g in destructive and xray testing.he said if i was welding hulls on mraps i should do very well there.but like i said this is interveiw.but he giggled when i said sumptin bout pay.so i figure they pay more.its a huge place.dyno,trans shop,rebuild motors,torque converter etc.so im hoping all gos well.i live between 3 mines in my area so i know there busy.i got freinds working at both and they always tear shit up.thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
I don't know what Cat pays in US but finding a diesel tech job that pays is not easy. I use to be certified diesel tech several years ago book time. It was decent i've seen a trend dealerships going hourly $12-$18 per hour while the shop gets book time $80 plus an hour... I don't know how they buy tools and feed their familys like this. Finding good techs is hard and most still will not pay decent.

The CAT equipment techs "I think" make more money than the CAT engine mechanics. The CAT dealer here in Macon Ga. has 2 shops. A truck shop and an earth moving shop and I think the earthmoving techs make more along the lines of what I was referring to in my first post than the guys at the truck shop.
I no longer work there so I cannot speak from facts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts