Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting a part time job along with my full time job...wondering if anyone else does or has done that. Im single, no kids and would rather go to work then sit around my house when i have nothin going on. I am a Journeyman Diesel Technician at my current job..

Wondering what some good part time jobs are also...

Thanks!

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
81,314 Posts
I AM ABOUT TO START!

·
#Tittipicsmatter !
6,242 Posts
I work full time as a deputy sheriff. I have worked part time in a fiberglass shop for over 10 years. Hopefully I can retire in 10 years and make fiberglass my full time gig.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I am a mechanical designer/engineer and CNC machinist during the day and build bikes/cars at night along with the whole hydrographics thing! I guess I have three jobs:rolleyes:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Got 3 of em. Helicopter, ICU, and the ambulance. I work 6 days on then have 8 days off at my full time job. Usually work a couple of days at one of the two part time jobs during my 8 off.

·
Registered
501 Posts
My wife is a stay home mom and she/we do a rural paper route to help pay the bills. Shit work but flexible hours we can work around the kids. One late night a week putting the flyers together so we can still spend time with the kids. The money really helps out. I am a full time auto mechanic. Changing employers next week from a dealer flat rate to hourly small shop.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Electrical designer/draftsman for an Engineers office 3 days a week. Remodeling/handyman as many days a week as I can. Usually 3 or 4. Buy and sell cars and bikes on the side. Is that 3 jobs?

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I used to,full time cop,part time auto restoration,patch panels,smoothing firewalls,little welding/fabrication.I work lots of O/T now so its impossible to do it.I am hoping when I retire I can do part time race car chassis stuff in a shop and go back to my little part time auto resto stuff.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See id like to do little car stuff on the side, but its hard to get side jobs around here. whats the best way to go about getting them?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I did when I was single and younger prob 15 years ago. I would leave here and go to a friends used car lot and work on his stuff every evening until midnight or so and then get back up and do it all over again. They bought a lot of stuff with bad motors at the time as well as other stuff with major mechanical problems. Don't think now I would have the energy to pull that off anymore.

Prior to that when we were road racing I would leave my job at the dealer in the evenings and go work on the race cars for 3-4 hours every night and then an hour drive home.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
See id like to do little car stuff on the side, but its hard to get side jobs around here. whats the best way to go about getting them?
Word of mouth. Do oil changes, brakes, tune-ups for friends. Work for cheap or beer. Consider it a hobby at first. The word will get around that you do good work and are reputable. Set an hourly rate for yourself and only take on the jobs you want. After a while you'll have more work than you can do. Getting the work from referrals also helps weed out idiots that claim you broke something else while you had the car.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Back to one job now. But for 4 years I worked 2 jobs.

Desk job 8-4:30 m-f then drove a tow truck 5pm-8am m-f and a double shift every other saturday. I would work 5-10 at the shop then take the truck home, on call till I dropped of the truck on the way to my regular job. Plus worked on some race car stuff at night.

Made for very little family time, but the money was GREAT.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I've done pretty good so far... but it takes time to make a dollar. No reason to not establish your little side fab shop as a business and take advantage of the tax breaks. Get a very low overhead rental (mine is less than $300 a month) and do what you love and are good at - the clientel will slowly start to come. It's pretty hard to do any serious work without a 'store front' - Just working out of your garage just doesn't cut it.

·
Banned
14,510 Posts
Thinking of getting a part time job along with my full time job...wondering if anyone else does or has done that. Im single, no kids and would rather go to work then sit around my house when i have nothin going on. I am a Journeyman Diesel Technician at my current job..

Wondering what some good part time jobs are also...

Thanks!
Bartender is the part time job to get, but it's tough to find a P/T gig if you don't know what you are doing. You need to find a beer and a shot type bar, your customers will help you make drinks.:drinkers:

And, please, clean your fucking hands before you get there.

Good luck.

Tom

·
Banned
14,510 Posts
Back to one job now. But for 4 years I worked 2 jobs.

Desk job 8-4:30 m-f then drove a tow truck 5pm-8am m-f and a double shift every other saturday. I would work 5-10 at the shop then take the truck home, on call till I dropped of the truck on the way to my regular job. Plus worked on some race car stuff at night.

Made for very little family time, but the money was GREAT.
Family time?

How can you work at one job until 8Am when you are supposed to be showing up to another job at 8 AM?:rolleyes:

Not only are you late every day, you have no time to sleep?

Tom

EDIT: NM, I see what you were doing.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the ideal for me would be small work out of the garage, oil changes, brakes. Minor engine work, replacing worn out parts and things like that. Maybe get a part time gig at a parts store, but i dunno if i could handle some of the people that walk into those places lol

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
the ideal for me would be small work out of the garage, oil changes, brakes. Minor engine work, replacing worn out parts and things like that. Maybe get a part time gig at a parts store, but i dunno if i could handle some of the people that walk into those places lol
You can get this going immediately. Just put out the word. Friends, relatives, etc. I personally would skip the parts store gig. However, let those guys know what you're doing and they can send work your way. Reputable mechanics are hard to find. When the word gets around you do good work and are honest you'll have more work than you can do.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts