Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lookin at putting in a G5r in a limited street duty car (only see's limited local driving nothing heavy duty). It's clutched only for 1st gear and will pop out of gear when throttle is lifted. Doesn't seem like a hugh deal to me??? Dont plan on downshiting or road race.
Any insight would be great
Thanks
BobH

·
Registered
796 Posts
I agree...we have the same tranny in our N/A car and like Brian said...even the pits/staging lanes can be a PITA.

·
Registered
648 Posts
why?

I agree...we have the same tranny in our N/A car and like Brian said...even the pits/staging lanes can be a PITA.
whats the deal with it being a pain..cause you have to hold in gear??? looking at a car that runs one /track only.. its a clutchless.. do you have to lift off throttle when shiffting or just yank gears ..

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's a pain because even going through the pits when you have to lift of the throttle it's out of gear.then you gotta pretty much stop to get it back in gear.I think you will get tired of it on the street with in a couple of trips.

·
Registered
406 Posts
whats the deal with it being a pain..cause you have to hold in gear??? looking at a car that runs one /track only.. its a clutchless.. do you have to lift off throttle when shiffting or just yank gears ..
Yeah, b/c if you arent in 5th gear, all the other gears it trieds to spit it out of gear and into neutral when not under a load. So if your putting around the staging lanes and lift the throttle for whatever reason, you can keep it from popping out by either "pulling" or "pushing" (depending on what gear your in) and keep it from doing so, but it is not easy, and it will fight, and clank and clunk and ratchet back and forth un til you either get back in the gas, or it finally spits out........which then you must stop completely to get her back into gear.

If to try and drive it on the street, the trick would be get into 5th gear as fast as possible and pray you dont have to encounter a situation when a down shift is needed cause it aint happening, and if it does it wil sound horindous trying

·
Registered
839 Posts
You can barely hold it in gear. I drove mine around local streets. As soon as you lift slightly, the trans looses momentum and, bam it kicks out. Even first gear. Rolling forward at a street lights sucks. You have to HOLD it hard in gear and you feel the shifter whacking back into your hand. If it does come out, you have to be stopped to get it back into gear. Not streeter friendly

·
Registered
648 Posts
is it track freindly

You can barely hold it in gear. I drove mine around local streets. As soon as you lift slightly, the trans looses momentum and, bam it kicks out. Even first gear. Rolling forward at a street lights sucks. You have to HOLD it hard in gear and you feel the shifter whacking back into your hand. If it does come out, you have to be stopped to get it back into gear. Not streeter friendly
the reason I was asking was im looking at a car that has one in it... I thought it might be fun to run a clutchless 5speed for awhile... i dont care about street manors.. track only.. does this set-up blow away most all other mannual4 speeds ect... another words is there any comparison to say a mustang with toploader VS, this clutchless 5speed ????

·
Registered
406 Posts
the reason I was asking was im looking at a car that has one in it... I thought it might be fun to run a clutchless 5speed for awhile... i dont care about street manors.. track only.. does this set-up blow away most all other mannual4 speeds ect... another words is there any comparison to say a mustang with toploader VS, this clutchless 5speed ????

If no need for street manors, then even though they can be a pain in the ass at times, there is no more fun than driving clutchless 5 speed in my opinion, period.

Here is an incar of mine last year, with the exact tranny in question
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygYw8xec6ck

·
Eddie Haskell
7,851 Posts
The clutchless transmission either use an over running dog or a face plate to line up the gears when you lift it comes out of gear. Now all the gears are spinning at different speeds and the only way you can put it back in gear is stop them. Stop the car and start over. If you try to find a gear you will be crashing parts. You can't lift. You cant even run these things on a chassis roll. These guys that own them are trying to keep you from making a mistake. I run a pro shifted trans on the street and it is trickey to down shift. If you still want to get one go to the track and talk to someone in real life or that guy that frequents here from the stick shift club. I think Darren Mag ran his Liberty Equilizer on the street but I never rode in the car with a clutch. There are better options Lenco, B&J or Jeffco good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
399 Posts
What do those guys who do those pump gas drags or power tour use then.

Im not good with names but i now a guy with a pink nova has a manual and a guy with a beautifull white chevelle i think his name is schimdt has a manual.That Chevelle is bad ass to the max

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Thanks guys. Burned the clutch up on that very pass, but sometimes thats the nature of these things if you arent careful.

Anyways, street driving will be what i would call a "chore" at best, but if you are die hard it could be done for SHORT drives

Been forever since iv'e seen ya on board, welcome back Biotch now :-GMAB

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Yeah, been in the "dont want to see or hear about it" race mind set for months now.

LOL been there done that..........I bought a Yamaha YFZ 450 when I took my break...............And you bought a crotch rocket

Watch out for those Oklahoma Troopers......I heard they can be real cocksuckers if you get caught speeding :-D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.