Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried one of those new Comp Turbos that don't use oil? The idea that you can mount it any which way is very appealing, but if they don't work, it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
634 Posts
i think the issue with oil might be the logistics necessary to make a gravity drain work and/or the cost/risk of a scavenge pump. if i understand the water cooling correctly, the system remains open, allowing the water to be pushed out; therefore putting fewer limitations on turbo placement and possible making mounting one simpler?

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Their oiled turbos have a hard enough time staying together. Good luck with no oil!

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I ran some turbochargers in the late 90's early 2000's that had a small amount of oil in them but no flowing oil from the engine. They also had no wastegates with a vac/boost controlled variable ex housing. I think they were used in motorcycle/snowmobile stuff back then. I built a twin turbo Escalade using them and it drove nice but had some problems with the variable vanes. I think it was aerocharger or something like that, but my memory is not great......

Kurt

·
Registered
199 Posts
I ran some turbochargers in the late 90's early 2000's that had a small amount of oil in them but no flowing oil from the engine. They also had no wastegates with a vac/boost controlled variable ex housing. I think they were used in motorcycle/snowmobile stuff back then. I built a twin turbo Escalade using them and it drove nice but had some problems with the variable vanes. I think it was aerocharger or something like that, but my memory is not great......

Kurt
you mean http://www.aerocharger.com/ ??

·
Registered
47 Posts
From what I read on the Comp website, lubrication is provided by grease, and the water cools down the center section.

I'd try one if they'd give me one free of charge.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Has anyone tried one of those new Comp Turbos that don't use oil? The idea that you can mount it any which way is very appealing, but if they don't work, it doesn't matter.
Didn't you learn your lesson from trying new things that sound too good to be true? :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
130MPH Pontiac G8.... Nice, but one of their larger turbos is $2500, and only flows 540CFM. It would be great for someone looking to install on a bike, or quad. They have polaris razr kits, snowmobile etc....

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good info guys. I have spoken to some people regarding the bearings. I have also spoken to someone working on one that is air cooled so no water or oil. The problem as most of us know is that ideas hit snags when applied to real world conditions. Was hoping to hear from atleast one user.

·
Registered
8 Posts
we use oil less charger for about 8 month now. It is the same white supra on their website and that is my personal car.

I have put about 9200 miles on the car. total, base boost is 31lb. we don't take her easy like we should but its personal car so we beat it again and again.

I have my company 2005 cummins dually with 67mm oil less on, it is quite success due to most of hx35 factory turbo has higher failure rate because of lack of oil change or too hot temperature of oil which can kills these turbo. so eliminated the fact of oil will be significant improvement. my wife drives every day and she puts about over 12000 miles on since we swap the turbo.

we have about 7 more customer who (currently ) running on oil less turbo but not member on this board.

is this turbo the best of best design and will not break? and spool up quicker than other ball bearings? answer is no.

avdantage on running oilless turbo such as , like on our supra , we have poor designed crank veneration system on our supras, only things that factory gave us is 2 nipple on valve cover, we all know that those 2 nipple will not be enough to move crank case pressure we crated. Therefore, alot of poeple who weld the fittings on valve cover and make better veneration system. however, like what we have done is to use factory turbo return flange and created veneration system by using 2 on valve cover(from the head), and one from crank(bottom end) can really use the complete veneration system . by doing that we got a lot stable crank case pressure on whole motor, and as we know, better pcv system will make more power.

another things like people who already mentioned about the advantage of oil less turbo is that it can mounted pretty much any position.

lot of people who struggle to run their turbo on small engine bay with turbo that requires the scavenge pumps, relays, all things can be add to the cost to their complete turbo system. so if there is turbo that doesn't require the oil , then it made little easier.

simply for poeple that is ague with whats wrong with oil fed charger compare from the oilless turbo , well there is nothing wrong with it.. its just some application like on our race car, high pressure oil pump on import car can exceed 130psi oil pressure and its get pretty old to deal with restrictor this and smaller hose this and your oil got too hot and contaminated. those sort of line of manufacture explanation. that is why would be nice to rule out things like your turbo seal went out, or bearings is shot, because of oil you run.

so conclusion to this oil less turbo I would say its working great for us . and we use some of their oil fed turbo for reason, and some oilless.

I just don't want to poeple to misunderstanding the advantage of oilless turbo, its not going to spool x3 faster than other ball bearings? LOL. not going to happen..

but P.S I used borgwarner S372 on our race motor once, and screwing around with oil pressure to the turbo by regulator did help on dyno graph 130psi vs 25psi. I guess there would be a pressure friction to the shaft will slow down too.

I hope this my broken English is make sense. if not I am sorry.LOL:smt088

any question [email protected]
I will do my best to answer it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts