Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an MSD 6010 on my run in stand and when I tried to run an LS I just built, I didn't have fire to the coils. I did all the usual checks and power was getting to the box but not out of it. So i pulled it and installed the 6010 that was supposed to go with the engine that was new. Same thing. So I called MSD and they said I must have had a voltage spike that fried both boxes. My 6010 is older and out of warranty and his was bought 2 years ago but never used so I get to buy him a new one. I decided to take mine apart to see what was fried in it and there is an epoxy holding everything together. I stuck it in the oven to try to soften it up enough or liquify it, but no luck. I didn't take the oven past 350 because I was afraid it would melt the plug. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
I have an MSD 6010 on my run in stand and when I tried to run an LS I just built, I didn't have fire to the coils. I did all the usual checks and power was getting to the box but not out of it. So i pulled it and installed the 6010 that was supposed to go with the engine that was new. Same thing. So I called MSD and they said I must have had a voltage spike that fried both boxes. My 6010 is older and out of warranty and his was bought 2 years ago but never used so I get to buy him a new one. I decided to take mine apart to see what was fried in it and there is an epoxy holding everything together. I stuck it in the oven to try to soften it up enough or liquify it, but no luck. I didn't take the oven past 350 because I was afraid it would melt the plug. Anyone have any ideas?
I have and it looked like spaghetti which was the reason I use Crane Fireball ignition boxes and coils along with Crane Cams Firewire plug wires. The rev limiter is much smoother and it runs just as fast as a MSD 7, gained a little and the DA didn't move so its hard to say if it was the box but the idle is better with the Crane and the plugs last longer.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have and it looked like spaghetti which was the reason I use Crane Fireball ignition boxes and coils along with Crane Cams Firewire plug wires. The rev limiter is much smoother and it runs just as fast as a MSD 7, gained a little and the DA didn't move so its hard to say if it was the box but the idle is better with the Crane and the plugs last longer.
The only reason for using these particular MSD units is because they are for the LS carbed conversion engines. I haven't done much homework on it lately, but if I am not mistaken, MSD is the only company that has the box for this application.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
is it the right box??? isnt there 2 different boxes for the ls??

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. The 6012 is for the 58 tooth reluctor wheel and the 6010 is for the 24 tooth. The engine on the stand is 24 tooth. Turns out that the battery was bad on my stand and the battery charger spiked the voltage enough to hurt the boxes. New battery has been installed and a new box ordered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts