Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
AVAST
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a "smog" done on my dad's 79 t/a he just bought. It's a 79 with an ls swap and 4l60. Won't pass conventional methods because of the swap. Any help would be appreciated.

·
AVAST
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well gotta cover my ass. Just in case!

·
AVAST
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know there's certain county's that are exempt. We've looked at all other avenues and needless to say here I am in this thread

·
Registered
21,576 Posts
I do feel for some of you guys. AZ is a good 'xample. Here we are a state with a huge amounts of low / non populated area, and they have some of the most restrictive smog laws (even on classics). In fact, THEY EVEN CHECK 67 which never had anything but PCV unless sold in CA

Now ask yourselves, you have an old classic

Just when was the last time you saw your town infested with old classics

Driving a shitload of miles, every day?

Seems to me the percentages would speak for themselves........................

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
28,142 Posts
It's over 25 years old, it should be exempt.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
I need a "smog" done on my dad's 79 t/a he just bought. It's a 79 with an ls swap and 4l60. Won't pass conventional methods because of the swap. Any help would be appreciated.
I live in this NAZI state too. You are going to have to hit up a REF and get the car upgraded. Requires PCM, engine, cats, all the smog, smog pump, all that useless crap. But i suppose you know that.

Start looking for a "sandwich" maker.

·
Registered
16,052 Posts
Found this.

"The basic intent of the California engine change laws is that when you do an engine swap, the new engine/transmission cannot pollute more than the original engine/transmission. This means the newly installed engine must be the same year (or newer) as the vehicle, and all emissions controls on the newly installed engine must be installed and functional. Also, you can't put a heavy-duty truck engine (over 6000 lb GVW) into an S-10 Truck because heavy-duty truck engines have less stringent emissions limits than light duty trucks.

To get your engine swap approved, you must go to a Referee Station. The Referee Inspection is less than $40, and it is a benefit for people who do smog-legal engine changes because the engine change can be approved on a visual inspection, current smog laws, and common sense".

·
Registered
15,923 Posts
I live in this NAZI state too. You are going to have to hit up a REF and get the car upgraded. Requires PCM, engine, cats, all the smog, smog pump, all that useless crap. But i suppose you know that.

Start looking for a "sandwich" maker.
The problem is the new retarded regulations. That 79' era gas tank won't pass the pressure test. So you have to retrofit an OBDII style tank.

Essentially fucking anyone who wants to make their old car better and pollute less.

I love this state, but the smog laws are a fucking joke. Nothing but a money racket.

·
Registered
15,923 Posts
Its still better than pretty much all of the south. It just sucks if you like the dog shit cars built from 76-92ish

·
AVAST
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya I know most of the laws but I still appreciate all the input. I used to have a smog guy and he's not around anymore. It's a pain in the ass my dad has this new car and he can't drive it. It's beautiful too all black with heits suspension subframe connectors, immaculate condition. But came from out of state.

·
Registered
15,923 Posts
Ya I know most of the laws but I still appreciate all the input. I used to have a smog guy and he's not around anymore. It's a pain in the ass my dad has this new car and he can't drive it. It's beautiful too all black with heits suspension subframe connectors, immaculate condition. But came from out of state.
Aside from the gas tank, what is missing via emissions equipment?

You're not exactly up shit creek. In theory this swap is doable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts