Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone? Anyone own one? I never have, they are kinda expensive and ugly. I'd be interested in how the 308's shoot, I'm sure the 5.56 is soft shooting. I'd like to own one, but the. Let of mags and initial cost of rifle, not to mention other add ons and barrel replacement is horrendous.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I honestly haven't, but I can think of a lot of other guns I'd rather own/shoot before that one. That's a LOT of coin for a rifle that shares too many commonalities with the AR platform. Many people like that, but I personally do not. I'd rather own a DSA FAL for a big bullet flinger.. or stick with the AR if I want something that shoots 5.56. My prime choice for an expensive rifle in that category would be a IWI Tavor.

·
Registered
14,548 Posts
I have a 17. They are not all that, Cool looking and more accurate than I am. I'd say they hit along the lines of any .308 for recoil

·
Registered
21,609 Posts
I have a SCAR 17 and enjoy shooting it. Mine's black. FN makes nice stuff. The only thing that I don't like, and to be honest I've had no problems with it, just don't like the idea, is the reciprocating charging lever. I have mine equipped with a marksman's sling, Elcan Spectre DR 1-4, and Larue indexing clips on the rails for more comfortable grip.

·
102,312 Posts
Oh I thought the thread said "car" not "scar" :-D

·
El Diablo Blanco
6,780 Posts
When I was buying my DE 50AE the guy was showing me one he had just got it, I was tempted, almost walked out with it too.

·
1,879 Posts
Anyone? Anyone own one? I never have, they are kinda expensive and ugly. I'd be interested in how the 308's shoot, I'm sure the 5.56 is soft shooting. I'd like to own one, but the. Let of mags and initial cost of rifle, not to mention other add ons and barrel replacement is horrendous.
I love how ugly it is! :cool:
The 17 recoils like a 5.56 due to the large mass of the BCG. My wife has no problem shooting it. Its light weight until you put a full mag in it and an optic. Aftermarket stock is a must. Factory stock is fragile. Accuracy is good! Reciprocating charging handle will get ya if you forget about it. Wear gloves!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
My old Boss you bought the truck from owns one. I've fired it. It's nice. I'm firing PTR tomorrow. Will let you know comparison.

·
Registered
21,609 Posts
I love how ugly it is! :cool:
The 17 recoils like a 5.56 due to the large mass of the BCG. My wife has no problem shooting it. Its light weight until you put a full mag in it and an optic. Aftermarket stock is a must. Factory stock is fragile. Accuracy is good! Reciprocating charging handle will get ya if you forget about it. Wear gloves!
I must be in a minority. I actually like the looks of it better than an AR.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Shot a full auto 17 in Vegas last year. Fun gun lots of horizontal recoil (duh). They are very expensive and even used ones go for new prices. There are many options other than a scar. Great gun but very very pricey.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Shot a full auto 17 in Vegas last year. Fun gun lots of horizontal recoil (duh). They are very expensive and even used ones go for new prices. There are many options other than a scar. Great gun but very very pricey.
In a video about that gun range they say that the SCAR 17 they have is the only rifle they have never had to do anything too except routine cleaning.

I love mine.

·
Age of Acquiescence
31,464 Posts
Yes.
I shot one that looked like this.

Shoots well, handles well, however overall I feel the HK-91 / PTR-91 variants have it beat for 1/3rd the cost.

HK91/PTR91 variants I felt were more precise, and a delayed roll back system.
7 million G-3 rifles were produced globally, which tells you there's a bazillion surplus parts to support it.....CHEAP

HK-G3 rifles
German military 20 round magazines are $1.50 a pop (Just bought a case) Some guys got all new ones in bags.
SCAR 17 magazines= ~$40 a piece. Not a pleasant thing to compare.

FAL's are sturdy but really just 3+ MOA Battle Rifles. I like the PTR rifles ALOT more.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, but heavy ace. This is a new age battle rifle. I feel if they can make a 12ga light and recoiless (mostly) then a 308 is easy.

·
Age of Acquiescence
31,464 Posts
I agree, it's 1.7lbs heavier then the SCAR17.

Now that's probably one of the reasons the teams use the SCAR, for their better portability in the field.
However, from my/our perspective of shooting, 1.7lbs isn't that bad, just sling it. :cool:

I always think back to WWII and what those guys had to carry......
Browning BAR (M1918A2) for example was 19.8 lbs......makes 9.7lbs look like nothin.
I see guys complain about 1lb all the time with certain rifles I'm into, and I kinda laugh because .....well perspective. :)

The SCAR definitely wins the weight comparison, zero doubt. It's a matter of whats most important to the owner.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts