Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18,354 Posts
I get mixed reviews. Most say that they will shoot fine.
Here’s a fun site for playing around with those type things though it tends to emphasize heavier/longer bullets. In general though, if your twist will shoot the longer bullet fine, going shorter is rarely a problem. It’s when you go the other way things can sometimes go wonky.

https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Mine shoots them just fine but the heavier bullets seem to be more accurate. The 55 grain will shoot minute of man with no problem.

If all I was going to shoot were the lighter bullets then I would get a different twist rate. Good luck!

·
Thread Killer
18,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine shoots them just fine but the heavier bullets seem to be more accurate. The 55 grain will shoot minute of man with no problem.

If all I was going to shoot were the lighter bullets then I would get a different twist rate. Good luck!
That's what I'm hearing. Heavier bullets are supposed to be more accurate, but I saw a youtube video where a guy shot a range of weights thru his 1/7 and 1/9 and found the lighter bullets shot just fine.

thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
909 Posts
My 16" BCM upper is 1/7 rate of twist and gives me sub moa at 100 yards using the cheapest non Russian ammo I can find and also 53 grain Hornady varmint tips. It bangs steel with them out to 300 yards which is as far as the terrain can handle. Never really tried any 77 grain stuff so maybe after deer season and the hunters leave l will give it a whirl.
Bent

·
Registered
18,354 Posts
That's what I'm hearing. Heavier bullets are supposed to be more accurate, but I saw a youtube video where a guy shot a range of weights thru his 1/7 and 1/9 and found the lighter bullets shot just fine.

thanks for the info guys!
This is a common misconception about bullets. Most longer bullets are heavier so it’s easy to see where the confusion comes in. It is actually the length of the bullet that governs twist. I have the perfect example in my Cheytac. I have two different 350 gr., .375 cal. bullets. One batch is lathe turned solids, the other batch is lead core, copper jacketed Sierra Match King. Although bullet weights are identical, the much longer solid will not stabilize with my 1:11.5 twist barrel but the shorter SMK bullet is fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts