Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I basically got a GV unit to make it easier to get to the track...
But I was wondering about real world experiences.
Will splitting 2nd gear really net a quicker pass?

1/8 mile
3.90's
325 DR's
I go thru the traps at about 4500 in drive

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I have one and don't see how you'd ever gear split on the strip unless you had a trans ccontroller working the GV and the trans.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have one and don't see how you'd ever gear split on the strip unless you had a trans ccontroller working the GV and the trans.
exactly. They make it sound easy to do but in reality it ain't happening on a drag strip. maybe towing a huge load with plenty of time between shifts. I could see keeping it in second and applying the overdrive to second gear if the od is a .8 you might keep the revs up across the stripe vs going to 3rd.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I could see keeping it in second and applying the overdrive to second gear if the od is a .8 you might keep the revs up across the stripe vs going to 3rd.
That could be a practical use for sure, there could be a slight delay, so you may have to compensate for that with your shift point. I have one on a Powerglide, and sometimes on the street, I'll use it for 2nd gear if I'm at lower speeds.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I would not split gears , but you can shift as an additional gear. The GV unit is one tough piece basically a CS1 lenco planetary.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
May or may not be relevant but a buddy had a TR3 road racer with the electric OD. Split gears all the time around the track. Not too bad for shift time as it was electric - click the button and head to the next corner. It was kinda fun.
Reading the G-V literature, it won't hurt to do some math and give them a call.
Maybe use a decent performance calculator and stick the 2nd-over ratio in there and see if it picks up. Then see what happens when you stick 1st-over in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In the 1/4 it's quicker in my car. I shift a manual powerglide like a 4 speed. Smallblock Chevy, 4:56 rear with 30 inch tall slicks. You can watch the video and decide if it shifts fast enough for you.
CMD19901

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CMD...watched a few times and the audio levels made it tough to figure out what you did. I think I heard you hit OD in first, but couldn't tell if you hit OD in 2nd(drive)

That was in manual mode correct?

·
Registered
37 Posts
CMD...watched a few times and the audio levels made it tough to figure out what you did. I think I heard you hit OD in first, but couldn't tell if you hit OD in 2nd(drive)

That was in manual mode correct?
TURN IT UP!.......... LOL :p What appears to be a 1-2 shift is actually first to first overdrive, then 2nd and 2nd O/D. Mine is set up as always manual, with a button on the shift handle to the GearVendors. Very easy to shift in and out of overdrive; just like up and down shifting, which is what I do on the street. I'm looking for some track rental video from MIR where I was making single runs and you can hear clearly. CMD19901

·
Registered
37 Posts
How are you controlling the OD and what shifter?
Long story short: I use a T handle shifter handle with a button built in, wired directly to the solenoid, bypassing the other wiring. You just have to remember to turn the overdrive off before using reverse.
The shifter really doesn't matter, but it's a Cheetah.
I also designed and built a fully automatic shift system that shifts in and out of overdrive, but I rarely use it.
CMD19901

·
Registered
37 Posts
Maxtout...not sure why I couldn't split second and cross the stripe closer to redline?
This is 1/8 I'm talking about.
Do you have a 2 speed or 3 speed transmission?
I can almost get to the 1/8 in 1st O/D.
Weight,trans gear, gear ratio, horsepower, and rpm would decide that.
CMD19901

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Long story short: I use a T handle shifter handle with a button built in, wired directly to the solenoid, bypassing the other wiring. You just have to remember to turn the overdrive off before using reverse.
The shifter really doesn't matter, but it's a Cheetah.
I also designed and built a fully automatic shift system that shifts in and out of overdrive, but I rarely use it.
CMD19901
So if your finger comes off the button it drops out of OD....

·
Registered
37 Posts
So if your finger comes off the button it drops out of OD....
No.........it's not momentary. It's either on or off when you click the switch.
You take off in 1st, push button to 1st OD, then shift to 2nd and push the button at the same time ( taking it out of OD ) and that's 2nd, next just push the button for 2nd OD. It takes a little getting used to, to time the second gear shift correctly, but ; in my case it works like another gear, making a 2 speed manual powerglide work like a 4 speed. I daily drive it this way 3 - 4000 miles a year. I took it apart several years ago to replace the rear seal and bushing for a leak and the insides were like new.
I took the small Chevy out and put in a 548 big block with an 871 roots and drive it the same way.
CMD19901

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does the GV shift instantaneously when you push the switch, or is there a delay?
In my opinion; it's the same as shifting between gears. Look at the video on the previous page and determine for yourself. It's also based on how you coordinate shifting the trans and pushing the OD button.

CMD19901

·
Registered
37 Posts
There's no way for me to tell when you push the button by watching the video. I'm asking about the response to input, not the firmness of the shift.
Actually, you can. If you hold the button down while up shifting; the transmission effectively goes into neutral; so if it was slow in the transition the engine rpm would flare up. I have never felt it necessary to time it. It can, however, be affected by the operator.

CMD19901

1 - 20 of 33 Posts