Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth it to have both or is one all you need?
My IAT is 50 above ambient when idling and at full boost its 230 above ambient temp.
Are there any classes in racing that prohibit running both?

thanks

·
Registered
16,620 Posts
Something sounds wrong there. My intercooler sits in a position where it gets some hot air off the radiator and leaves the line with IAT at +15-20deg above ambient. And at 26lbs boost it only rises 100deg to 200-220deg or so even though it doesn't get direct airflow.

Are you sure your IAT sensor is accurate and where is it located? The high initial temp is especially confusing.

Maybe you should post pictures of your intercooler setup so we can see why you would get those temps.

Nothing against the idea of meth injection, it just sounds like you have a problem that needs addressing regardless.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I'm not running either one. That's why I'm thinking of running one or both? I run both street and strip. Car runs race fuel. I always thought a high IAT was ok as long as your running race fuel and the engine doesn't get to hot? Anyways most people say I need to cool down the IAT w meth inj or intercooler or both. I'm nervous that one or both could push me out of classes in drag racing and if so, what classes would those be, do I need both or one and which one?
Thanks in advance,
Peter

·
Registered
472 Posts
I run both meth injection and an intercooler on my 87 GN which is very common on turbo Buicks. My car is a street car and runs low 10's on pump gas with meth injection. Typically my IAT's at 28 psi of boost run within 25 degrees of ambient air temps during the warmer months and sometimes I see IAT's that are lower than ambient when its cooler.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts