Yellow Bullet Forums banner

161 - 180 of 1709 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
This was good.

We had our first fall cool front come through so comfort food sounded good. Shrimp Bisque with a Smoked Mozzarella (thanks Jim!), Prosciutto, Roasted Red Pepper n fresh Basil Panini sandwich. When the weather finally turns cold here I may try my hand at smoking some. Quite good!

Denny

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Everyday Italian, but good.

Italian Sausage Ragu over Rigatoni.

Basically practicing my Red Sauces playing with flavors and trying to get cause n effect out of different things. Used the good Italian canned Tomatoes plus playing some with different amounts of Tomato Paste to see what effect it has. My wife really liked it.

Denny

·
Registered
347 Posts
Everyday Italian, but good.

Italian Sausage Ragu over Rigatoni.

Basically practicing my Red Sauces playing with flavors and trying to get cause n effect out of different things. Used the good Italian canned Tomatoes plus playing some with different amounts of Tomato Paste to see what effect it has. My wife really liked it.

Denny
Looks good Denny.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Simple, but good.

Grilled Center Cut Boneless Pork Chop with Grilled Peach

Did the usual salt, fish sauce and then oiled it so it would brown better. Oiled the peach also. Nice combo. What I'm really posting about is the Nan Bread.

Sea Salt, little bit of powered Garlic, Fresh Rosemary and pan grilled using Olive Oil. Quite good but I have always thought Nan Bread was a bit pricey for what ya got. Gotta be next to nothing to make it. Usually it is about $3.00 each so I kinda pass on it just because I feel it is a bit of a rip off. Sam's now carries it. It was $4.00 for 8 pieces. Typical Sam's. You got to buy more than you need, but I will freeze some of it. Priced more of what it should be. Being I have the cheap ass pizza oven think I will attempt making some. Nothing more than Indian Pizza crust. Why not?

Denny

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Sorry. Just realized Nan is spelled Naan. OK, 5th mistake I have ever made in my life, but who is counting?

Denny

·
Former RJ instigator
37,501 Posts
Sorry. Just realized Nan is spelled Naan. OK, 5th mistake I have ever made in my life, but who is counting?

Denny
We'll let you slide this time, hell I've never even heard of naan bread, kinda looks like fried indian bread to me, is it thin or does it have a puffy texture? It might make a interesting pizza crust for sure.

·
Registered
53,655 Posts
Naan is indian bread. Its expensive to buy but I love it.

If you are making it from scratch, you can add veggies to it, like peas, corn, etc. Great alone as a meal.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
We'll let you slide this time, hell I've never even heard of naan bread, kinda looks like fried indian bread to me, is it thin or does it have a puffy texture? It might make a interesting pizza crust for sure.
Like the bread used to make Greek Gyro's. Soft pizza crust? Kinda.

Denny

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Naan is indian bread. Its expensive to buy but I love it.

If you are making it from scratch, you can add veggies to it, like peas, corn, etc. Great alone as a meal.
Yes, very good and Sam's has a killer deal on it. Flat breads are a big part of Indian cooking because so much of Indian food is vegetarian. You have Rotis, Puri, Parathas, etc. All are good and it is very common to incorporate veggies and sauces with breads as dishes. Have one Indian cookbook I got in India but the problem they use Indian names for the dish's and ingredients. Plus the writing format makes it hard to understand. Greek to me if ya know what I mean but I love Indian breads and may give a shot at trying to make some of the breads.

Denny

·
Just Sayin Crew V.P.
37,823 Posts

Backyard to table. Eggplant for the parmigiano including homemade sauce from my tomatoes, tomatoes and radishes from the garden for tonight's dinner. The martini is my pairing but that for me goes with just about Anything.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #174

Backyard to table. Eggplant for the parmigiano including homemade sauce from my tomatoes, tomatoes and radishes from the garden for tonight's dinner. The martini is my pairing but that for me goes with just about Anything.
Outta site!! That looks really good. You just talked me into a Bombay sapphire martini with a lemon twist. Cool!

Denny

·
Trolling the Trolls
13,717 Posts
So I stated with an idea in my head, thanks to ya'll YB cooks for the Mobsters :)

Sorry if it is hard to follow, ADHD and such, deal with it!!!!!

4-5 clugs of EVOO, one heaping teaspoon of minced garlic from a jar, one level teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes, allowed to dance in the hot EVOO for 45-60 seconds

Added in mirepoix which was one carrot peeled and diced, a 5 oz container of diced celery (tossed out about 1 oz) and half a medium onion. Allowed that to go for 3-4 minutes then added a splash of balsamic vinegar, allowed it to reduce. The added two heaping serving spoons of tomato paste, mixed in, then about three minutes later splashed in some red cooking wine from Krogers. Italian seasoning added as well as eight bay leaves chopped. Simmered a bit while gathering other ingredients....then added in 14 oz. of diced maters, Italian style.

1 lb of ground sausage from Krogers (next to the Italian links) to which I added red pepper flakes and Italian seasoning in cast iron skillet, used a bakery tool to chop it up while cooking, something I learned when making chili. Perfect for mincing the meats....

Dump the pork into the sauce pan, then start to water for the pasta. This gives time for the pork and veg to get happy....and taste testing :)

10 minutes for the pasta, drain but no shake, back into the pan. This retains some of the pasta water. Dish out pasta to my serving bowl, top with sauce/pork combo and devour...no pics of that :) I did grate some real Parm. cheese (Kroger Private Selection) over the bowl....wow what a difference over the Kraft Grated stuff!

The left over pasta (drying out) and meat+sauce in the pan, I added about a half jar of Krogers Red Pepper and Garlic sauce since the pasta sucks up the sauce before reheating.

All I know, I'm fat and happy....burp!

·
Trolling the Trolls
13,717 Posts
PS: I had never heard of Balsamic Vinegar until my trip to New York. Pizza place in the lower level of GST, the onions were sauted in BV, I loved the taste on the pizza, why I tried a splash of it while cooking the mirepoix.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
PS: I had never heard of Balsamic Vinegar until my trip to New York. Pizza place in the lower level of GST, the onions were sauted in BV, I loved the taste on the pizza, why I tried a splash of it while cooking the mirepoix.
Then more than likely you would like this.

Balsamic Onion Steak Sauce

• Tablespoon butter
• 2 Large onions
• 3 cloves garlic
• 1 teaspoon celery seed
• Sea salt
• 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
• 2 Tablespoon brown sugar
• Sprig Rosemary

Slice onions into 1/4th strips. Add butter to pan using medium heat, melt butter in bottom of pan and add onions. Add chopped garlic, celery seed, pinch of salt and sprig of rosemary. Cook for about 10 minutes until onions start to caramelize. Add balsamic vinegar and sugar. Bring to rapid boil and let thicken some.

Denny

·
Registered
13,512 Posts
I made the onion mix to use with my roast... then forgot it on the side. :(

Let it rest for about 90 mins, back in the oven for 30 at 250*.......I have to say I killed it!!!!

Perfect!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
I made the onion mix to use with my roast... then forgot it on the side. :(

Let it rest for about 90 mins, back in the oven for 30 at 250*.......I have to say I killed it!!!!

Perfect!

Whoe, hoe, hoe, hoe, hooooo! Fricking nailed it!

Denny

161 - 180 of 1709 Posts