Yellow Bullet Forums banner

81 - 100 of 1809 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
This was good.

Prime Tenderloin with Cheese/Bacon Grits. Basically the same as I did for the Shrimp n Grits except throw in a handful of Bacon. 1/2 cup Grits, 1 1/2 cup Chicken Broth, 1 Cup Cream, big handful of Cheese and Bacon.

Denny

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
This...............

The king of all rice dishes, Persian Rice. Special occasion rice made in Iran for holidays and celebrations. And..... I fucked it up. You mix some of the par boiled rice with Yogurt n oil in a Dutch Oven with Cumin Seeds and pack it in the bottom of the pan. Complicated sucker to make and you even wrap a towel around the lid so it gets the exact amount of moisture. My cooktop cooks hotter than the recipe called for and burnt it on the bottom, so I didn't get the best part which is the crusted rice at the bottom. Next time. Now I know.

Denny

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
This was good! We had rain coming in so a simple comfort meal sounded good.

SW Hatch Pepper and Corn Chowder

With a Smoked Ham and Brie Panini on Asiago Cheese Bread. Store bought Easter Ham and I always put them into a low temp smoker to warm then up using Apple Wood.

Denny

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
This was good.............

Pineapple Fried Rice

Ingredients:

1 Fresh Pineapple
2 Cups (prior to steaming) Steamed Basmati Rice
2 Eggs lighten beaten and seasoned
½ Red Pepper (sliced)
½ Green Pepper (sliced)
Big handful of salted Cashews
½ bunch of Green Onions (diced)
1-2 cloves Garlic (smashed and chopped)
Soy Sauce to taste
1 teaspoon Fish Sauce
1 teaspoon grated Ginger
1/8th teaspoon 5 spice seasoning
Big handful of diced Cilantro or Basal
½ small Lime
2-3 tables cooking oil
Optional: Sriracha Hot Sauce to taste

Directions:

Steam Rice and set in fridge. Get Wok semi-hot, add 1 tablespoon oil. Add egg and scramble, set aside in bowl. Rinse and wipe Wok. Return Wok to high heat and add remaining oil. Once oil starts smoking add Pineapple and Peppers. Cook till the edges of the Pineapple start to char (3-5 minutes). Set aside adding with the eggs in the bowl. Add Ginger, Garlic and Green Onion to pan and cook for about a minutes.

Reduce heat and add Rice, Cashews, Fish Sauce, Cilantro to Wok and stir. Add Eggs and Pineapple mixture to rice and stir in. Add Soy Sauce to taste and squeeze the Lime in. Time to eat.

Denny

·
Registered
11,149 Posts
This was good.............

Pineapple Fried Rice

Ingredients:

1 Fresh Pineapple
2 Cups (prior to steaming) Steamed Basmati Rice
2 Eggs lighten beaten and seasoned
½ Red Pepper (sliced)
½ Green Pepper (sliced)
Big handful of salted Cashews
½ bunch of Green Onions (diced)
1-2 cloves Garlic (smashed and chopped)
Soy Sauce to taste
1 teaspoon Fish Sauce
1 teaspoon grated Ginger
1/8th teaspoon 5 spice seasoning
Big handful of diced Cilantro or Basal
½ small Lime
2-3 tables cooking oil
Optional: Sriracha Hot Sauce to taste

Directions:

Steam Rice and set in fridge. Get Wok semi-hot, add 1 tablespoon oil. Add egg and scramble, set aside in bowl. Rinse and wipe Wok. Return Wok to high heat and add remaining oil. Once oil starts smoking add Pineapple and Peppers. Cook till the edges of the Pineapple start to char (3-5 minutes). Set aside adding with the eggs in the bowl. Add Ginger, Garlic and Green Onion to pan and cook for about a minutes.

Reduce heat and add Rice, Cashews, Fish Sauce, Cilantro to Wok and stir. Add Eggs and Pineapple mixture to rice and stir in. Add Soy Sauce to taste and squeeze the Lime in. Time to eat.

Denny
Damn.......that's right up my alley.......digging the different textures and potential flavor profiles.

Could see adding some ham chunks in that and making a " bog" out of it......

Bog referring to a dish in the south like " chicken bog" sometimes referred to as a perloux .........chicken , sausage, mirepoix and rice mixture.

As always, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Damn.......that's right up my alley.......digging the different textures and potential flavor profiles.

Could see adding some ham chunks in that and making a " bog" out of it......

Bog referring to a dish in the south like " chicken bog" sometimes referred to as a perloux .........chicken , sausage, mirepoix and rice mixture.

As always, thanks for sharing.
Your welcome and I like the ham idea. It's a west coast dish and they serve it in a halved out Pineapple shell. Was going to try doing it but my Pineapple was quite ripe. The physicians creed is: "Above all, do no harm." Thought I'd do no harm and not even try hollowing it out.

Denny

·
Registered
11,149 Posts
Your welcome and I like the ham idea. It's a west coast dish and they serve it in a halved out Pineapple shell. Was going to try doing it but my Pineapple was quite ripe. The physicians creed is: "Above all, do no harm." Thought I'd do no harm and not even try hollowing it out.

Denny
You ever had a bog or perloux?

Comfort food for sure and everybody thinks there's is the best........

I haven't run across it much outside the southeast.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #94

No. And in fact I'll look it up as I have never heard of it. Now that I think of it, I've never seen the Thai Pineapple rice outside LA.

Denny

·
Registered
16,233 Posts

I've never heard of this, and I'm in the SE constantly... What is it??

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Appears it is a S Carolina dish and it is spelled Perlou. Gonna say it runs in the same family as a Red Jambalaya.

Shrimp and Oyster Perlou

This classic South Carolina rice dish is filled with the flavors of the South! This simple recipe can include vegetables, seafood, or cured pork.
Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 12 ounce piece smoked pork sausage (like kielbasa) cut on a bias into 1/3 inch thick pieces
  • ¼ cup diced Aged Country Ham (or Tasso or Virginia ham)
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 2 cups diced yellow onion (about 1 large yellow onion)
  • 1 cup diced red bell pepper (about 1/3 inch dice)
  • ½ cup diced green bell pepper (about ¼ inch dice)
  • ¼ cup sliced scallions cut on the bias, plus more for garnish
  • 1 cup Carolina Gold Rice (or other good quality rice)
  • 1 1/4 cups low sodium chicken stock
  • 1 cup chopped oysters in their liquor (liquor separated) (from about 1 dozen freshly shucked oysters - about 7- 8 ounces shucked)
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup tomatoes
  • 4 sprigs of thyme
  • 2 dozen medium shrimp (peeled, tails removed, deveined if necessary)
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 lemon juiced (only need 1-2 tablespoons)
  • 1/3 cup chopped flat leafed parsley (from ½ large bunch)
  • hot sauce
Directions

1. In a heavy bottomed cast iron pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the smoked sausage slices in one layer and cook until beginning to brown, about 8-10 minutes. Add the aged country ham and stir. Cook a few more minutes until aged ham begins to crisp a bit.
  2. Add the onions, garlic, red and green bell peppers and cook until beginning to soften about 8 minutes. Add the sliced scallions and the rice. Stir until the rice is well coated with oil.
  3. Add the chicken stock, ¼ cup of oyster liquor, salt and freshly cracked pepper. Stir in the tomatoes, and bring the liquid to a boil. Add the sprigs of thyme. Cover, reduce the heat to low and let the rice cook untouched for 15 minutes.
  4. After 15 minutes, listen to the sounds of the pot. You should start to hear the rice crisping (a popping sound) on the bottom of the pan, as the water evaporates. Once you start to hear the popping sound, remove the lid. Lay the shrimp in one layer over the rice. Sprinkle the cayenne over the shrimp. Don’t stir through. Cover the pot again and let the rice pop and the shrimp cook for 3 minutes.
  5. Remove the lid, add the oysters and their liquid.
  6. Finish the dish by squeezing lemon juice over (about 1-2 tablespoons to brighten the flavors), and a dash of hot sauce. Add the chopped parsley and stir through. The heat of the dish will cook the oysters.

Denny

·
Registered
11,149 Posts
Most common versions I've seen are chicken bogs........there is a small town in SC ( loris) that has a bog off every year .....shut Main Street down and all the locals come out and compete to see who's is the best.....I've been to it a few times and it was great to meet the families and teams and see the different versions.

The basic recipe is to stew a chicken with onions, celery,carrots.......debone the chicken, toss it back into the stock, add some cooked smoked sausage( or ham), some good rice ( correct amount to stock volume) and then just cook like you would rice until all the moisture is absorbed.

We dump ours into a large pan and fluff it with a fork , but some like to serve it more as a sticky rice version......we like to add fresh thyme when we fluff the rice.

The rice picks up all the flavors of the chix, mirepoix ,sausage..............the old school perloux I've had from the Gullah regions leave the chix pieces whole and you fend for yourself with the bones and all, flavor is great but I prefer to debone the chicken for all of our bogs.

Some variations of it are .....seafood bog, using rice, sausage, lemon in the broth and cooking until almost done and then adding some peeled and deveined shrimp , lump crab and grouper cheeks for the final ten minutes of the rice cook.........it's a killer dish and the seafood comes out great and not overcooked.........only downside to the seafood bogs are they aren't as good reheated later and are meant to be eaten the first sitting..............straight up chicken bogs are like a good soup and are always better the second time around.

It's an easy dish, Google chicken bog and make your own version " Denny style"........the pineapple rice you showed just gave me the idea of how close it would be to an Asian style bog if I added some protein to the recipe......ham and pineapple go great together, so?...........ill let you know how it turns out, I will be making it.

I guess now that you guys say it, maybe it's not so much a southeast dish as it is a low country of SC and Coastal Georgia dish.......that does seem to be where I find it it on menus a bunch and they do have a pretty prevalent rice history..........whatever the case, it's a good inexpensive buffet style dish and rarely do people not go back for seconds.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
This was good.

This is a bit more of the standing Pork Rib Roast thinking it was initially Lamb that I converted into two bone thick Pork Chops. Only this time I tried the reverse sear method instead of browning it first. Held the internal temp between 110 and 120 for about six hours to tenderize it some, then seared it on the outside. With my usual Carmel Apple topping and Scalloped Potatoes n Ham on the side. Thinking reverse searing may be the way of doing it.

Denny

81 - 100 of 1809 Posts