Yellow Bullet Forums banner

201 - 220 of 1703 Posts

·
Trolling the Trolls
13,710 Posts
Left over veg was going bad, so I chopped it up and chucked it in some chicken broth, cooked some boneless thighs on the grill, added noodles and such.

About $7 for everything in the pot. Carrots, celery, onion, green pepper, can of diced tomatoes, two cans of broth, 2 lbs of thighs, and 2/3 bag of extra wide noodles.

Cold weather is coming.....

·
Registered
13,503 Posts
no pictures, however, made fish tacos and they came out great

1lb of sole (any flakey white fish works)

marinade of - olive oil, juice of 1/2 a lime (that's all I had in the house, probably could have used a whole lime, sea salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, cumin and cayenne pepper.
coat the fish in the marinade and let stand 15-30 mins

cooked on hot grill for 4-5 min a side

sauce - 2 tbl spoons of sour cream, 1 tbs mayo, garlic powder, salt, pepper 1/2 tsp of siracha

filling for taco - black beans

fine chopped onion saute in olive oil till start to turn translucent, 1 can of black beans, season with sea salt, fresh ground pepper, oregano and cumin. simmer 15-20 mins - I will also add red bell pepper sometimes, however one of the kids doesn't like cooked pepper so often leave it out.

serve in soft tortilla with fresh sliced avocado.

·
Registered
11,103 Posts
Found some inexpensive boneless pork short ribs..........the looked more like the country style ribs but weren't cut as thick.

Got home last night and wanted something different but wasn't sure what, so.....

I rubbed them with our blackening seasoning , seared them off in a black iron skillet with some bacon renderings.......deglazed the pan with some grillo( Sicilian white wine) and tossed them in the oven for about 45 minutes at 375.

Coarse Shredded it , put it on a martins potato roll with lettuce, warmed capers and course ground mustard.......

Resembled pulled pork, but the flavor was more of a Cajun style finish.......was easy and tasty.

Ps.....dipped it in the Cajun wine aujus along the way.

·
Former RJ instigator
37,426 Posts
Found some inexpensive boneless pork short ribs..........the looked more like the country style ribs but weren't cut as thick.

Got home last night and wanted something different but wasn't sure what, so.....

I rubbed them with our blackening seasoning , seared them off in a black iron skillet with some bacon renderings.......deglazed the pan with some grillo( Sicilian white wine) and tossed them in the oven for about 45 minutes at 375.

Coarse Shredded it , put it on a martins potato roll with lettuce, warmed capers and course ground mustard.......

Resembled pulled pork, but the flavor was more of a Cajun style finish.......was easy and tasty.

Ps.....dipped it in the Cajun wine aujus along the way.
I really wish there was a picture of this, that sounds amazing.

·
Former RJ instigator
37,426 Posts
Left over veg was going bad, so I chopped it up and chucked it in some chicken broth, cooked some boneless thighs on the grill, added noodles and such.

About $7 for everything in the pot. Carrots, celery, onion, green pepper, can of diced tomatoes, two cans of broth, 2 lbs of thighs, and 2/3 bag of extra wide noodles.

Cold weather is coming.....

man you are the king of cheap eats, looks good, I bet it freezes well too.

·
Trolling the Trolls
13,710 Posts
man you are the king of cheap eats, looks good, I bet it freezes well too.
It has in the past, but I don't think I'll have much left to freeze :)

I used to buy Progresso soup when it was on sale an I had double coupons. Would drain the broth and add in quick rice, then add the rest of the can in. But the cans started having more and more broth so I started making my own.

My grandparents grew up during the Depression era, you had to eat "cheap" but you could still eat well. Local international store (Jungle Jim's) http://www.junglejims.com/ I've been heading to the discount fruit and veg. are first. Five green peppers, some patches of orange/red on them, normally .99 a lb, got all five for .65, just because they didn't look "perfect"....

Such a wasteful society. What I made is about the same as 10 cans of soup, well if I added a bunch more water. Less sodium and in general better for you.

Now I'll admit I'm only cooking for myself so making larger batches on the fly with what is on sale is easier, then freeze as needed. Only one problem though.....

I've gotten so good I ran out of containers!!!! Like someone who cans everything from the garden, I'm kinda set for a while.

Also I have helped 3-4 local families with no Dad's around, but they get support/EBT card how to spend their money better, farther, healthier.

But still won't deny a plate of pizza rolls while gaming is the BEST THING EVER!!!!

I do have a bunch of cornmeal left over, might try some hoe cakes. While I'm not religious, some of the best food you'll ever have is Sunday brunch after church services where everyone brings a plate and NOBODY goes home hungry.

I think we need to slow down a bit and enjoy it. Sorry for the rant....no, not sorry :)

:smt071

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
These were both good but things I have basically posted both prior. Could go in the Date Night thread as both were quite good.

Miso Salmon with Butternut Squash Ravioli

Grilled Pork Loin with Potato Gratin and Pan Seared Garlic Broccoli

Gratin Tators

Layered with ham, parmesan cheese, swiss cheese, onions n cream.

Pan seared Garlic Broccoli

Straight out of the Food Network. Watched Mario Balotelli make this dish. Add a little olive oil to a pan, smash n chop 3 cloves of garlic, add sliced broccoli, some salt n pan sear till the garlic is roasted and broccoli done to your likeing. Add more olive oil at the end as heat breaks down olive oil. Light sprinkle of parmesan chees is optional.

Apple, Walnut Carmel Sauce

Butter, slices apple, apple cider, brown sugar, cinnamon and walnuts. Very good with pork.

Denny

·
Former RJ instigator
37,426 Posts
It has in the past, but I don't think I'll have much left to freeze :)

I used to buy Progresso soup when it was on sale an I had double coupons. Would drain the broth and add in quick rice, then add the rest of the can in. But the cans started having more and more broth so I started making my own.

My grandparents grew up during the Depression era, you had to eat "cheap" but you could still eat well. Local international store (Jungle Jim's) http://www.junglejims.com/ I've been heading to the discount fruit and veg. are first. Five green peppers, some patches of orange/red on them, normally .99 a lb, got all five for .65, just because they didn't look "perfect"....

Such a wasteful society. What I made is about the same as 10 cans of soup, well if I added a bunch more water. Less sodium and in general better for you.

Now I'll admit I'm only cooking for myself so making larger batches on the fly with what is on sale is easier, then freeze as needed. Only one problem though.....

I've gotten so good I ran out of containers!!!! Like someone who cans everything from the garden, I'm kinda set for a while.

Also I have helped 3-4 local families with no Dad's around, but they get support/EBT card how to spend their money better, farther, healthier.

But still won't deny a plate of pizza rolls while gaming is the BEST THING EVER!!!!

I do have a bunch of cornmeal left over, might try some hoe cakes. While I'm not religious, some of the best food you'll ever have is Sunday brunch after church services where everyone brings a plate and NOBODY goes home hungry.

I think we need to slow down a bit and enjoy it. Sorry for the rant....no, not sorry :)

:smt071
It's all good brother, I enjoy reading your posts and you are absolutely correct, we will go down in history as one of the most wasteful societies on the face of the planet.

·
Trolling the Trolls
13,710 Posts
I hate being wasteful, period. OK I had to toss out 5 green peppers I got for 65 cents because the veggie drawer FROZE them and they were useless when thawed.

For me, I'm taking two months off only buying the NEEDS while using to what I have stocked until pension is approved. Some wingding meals that were surprisingly good!

Even me being "cheap" there are many going hungry while we waste food....but some things I just won't eat...but I tried them once.

With Mom at 78 this thanksgiving, my son and I are planning a kitchen takeover this year or next. Sure we will get some things wrong, but we will learn how to make those old favorites right, then we are tasked with cleaning it all up.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Even me being "cheap" there are many going hungry while we waste food....but some things I just won't eat...but I tried them once.

With Mom at 78 this thanksgiving, my son and I are planning a kitchen takeover this year or next. Sure we will get some things wrong, but we will learn how to make those old favorites right, then we are tasked with cleaning it all up.
As I have mentioned in the past you can eat very reasonable and eat very well with a little street smarts and resourcefulness. Look for value, and then figure out what to make with it. The Salmon Steaks were $3.99 per pound and then I decided to make Miso Steaks. The Pork was cheap also. It's what you make it.

Thanksgiving............. Will be having Chinese food. In China. Long drive but easy clean up.

"King's Joy"

kingsjoy.cn
+86-10-8404-9191
2 Wudaoying Hutong, Dongcheng, Beijing 100027

Local Address:
京兆尹
100027东城区五道营胡同2号(雍和宫桥往南150米路西) "

Denny

·
Trolling the Trolls
13,710 Posts
in the soup above of yours do you cook the noodles first before you put them in soup
nope. I did cook the veggies for about an hour in the broth to soften them up then dumped in the noodles and diced thigh meat. I also allowed it to cool for an hour on the stove top which allowed the noodle to soak p more broth.

·
Trolling the Trolls
13,710 Posts
since the original picture went missing....

Then made this tonight, six small red taters, 1/2 red onion for an hour @ 375, then cheese and bacon bits.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #216 (Edited)
I enjoyed it.

Chicken Marsala

Ingredients:

1 lb of skinless chicken breasts sliced into portions and pounded thin
2 ounces of salt for brine
2 cups water for brine
1 cup of flour for dredging chicken
5 tablespoonsolive oil (for sautéing chicken)
1 lb mushrooms thin sliced
1 tablespoonolive oil (for sautéing mushrooms)
1 tablespoonbutter (for sautéing mushrooms)
4 tablespoons butter
2 cloves ofgarlic
1 shallot
Small handful chopped parsley
¾ cup Marsala
1 cup ofchicken stock
Salt n Pepper
8 oz vermicelli pasta
Fresh ground Parmesan cheese

Directions:

Brine the whole chicken breasts for 6 hours. Slice into portions and pound thin. Pepper and dredge, set aside. Slice mushrooms, season with salt, saute with butter/olive oil and place into a warm oven. Fine chop garlic, shallot and parsley and set aside.

Add olive oilto a large sauté pan and sauté chicken. Plate and place in oven with mushrooms. Drain excess olive oil leaving as much of the roux as possible. Boil pasta and set aside. Add 1 tablespoon butter to sauté pan. Sautee garlic, shallot andparsley for about a minute till translucent. Add another tablespoon of butter. Add Marsala and reduce. Add another tablespoon of butter. Add chicken broth and reduce into a sauce. Dip chicken in sauce and set aside. Add mushrooms and pasta. Mix well and plate, place chicken on top. Add Parmesan cheese to taste.

Denny

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
This wasn't good, it was outstanding!

Korean Marinated Rib Roast (Bulgogi) Lettuce Wraps

H-Mart has a proprietary marinade and Ribeye Beef that is ultra thin sliced. Instead of doing my own, I just bought it. Flash cooked using very high heat so you get some crusting. A little rice, Chinese fried noodles, beef, some Thai Sweet Pepper sauce, couple of Cashews, couple pieces of sautéed Onion n Mushroom, roll it up in Lettuce no go to town. The way I like to eat! Please, no 72 ounce steaks even if it is free, just light n healthy with a TON of flavor and texture.

Served with Edamame, Shishito Sweet Peppers, and homemade Asian sweet pickles.

Thin sliced Onion
1 part Rice Vinegar
1 part Water
1 part Sweet Thai Sauce
Big pinch of Salt
Hit of Sugar
Hit of Celery Seed
and of course............. very thin sliced cucumber.
Optional: Crushed Peanuts

Mix and let it sit for 5-6 hours occasionally stirring.

Want to be a BIG strong man, eat the 72 ounce steak. Want to keep that girlish figure? Eat like this. Drop dead good, really was.

Denny

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Wife wanted ribs yesterday so I fired up smoker and put them on at 1pm, was going to do my normal 321 deal with them and about 3hrs in I was working in shop and decided screw it , and just left them on for the whole time, didnt wrap and baste, or regrill. Damn if they were not eh best ones I have made yet, very tender, but bite clean from bone without being soggy or completely fall off the bone done. I think lazy won me over lol

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Sometimes the "oops" ends up being better. Called testing :)

Yes! How you learn. Seems like a long time ago, real long ago; but I used to race dirt bikes n did a little bit of road racing. Figured out if you are following the guy in front, you're probably always gonna be following. Got to crack some eggs to make an omelet. If you don't grow, you go. Keep pushing the envelope.

Denny

201 - 220 of 1703 Posts