Yellow Bullet Forums banner
2161 - 2171 of 2171 Posts

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Since I'm on my phone I will post some pics of the bacon. Each slab did 80 strips of medium thickness bacon and I did 2....lol. I smoked them Sunday about 6 hours and they were in the fridge equalizing till last night. I always try a little piece right off the smoker and it taste ok but after it sits in the fridge for a couple days the taste is WAY better. Last night I put them in the freezer for couple hours then sliced them and vac packed. I save the trimmings and chunks not sliceable in a bag for beans or whatever later.

Food Ingredient Animal product Recipe Cuisine

Rectangle Wood Natural material Tints and shades Composite material

Food Ingredient Recipe Animal product Pork

·
Former RJ instigator
43,947 Posts
Since I'm on my phone I will post some pics of the bacon. Each slab did 80 strips of medium thickness bacon and I did 2....lol. I smoked them Sunday about 6 hours and they were in the fridge equalizing till last night. I always try a little piece right off the smoker and it taste ok but after it sits in the fridge for a couple days the taste is WAY better. Last night I put them in the freezer for couple hours then sliced them and vac packed. I save the trimmings and chunks not sliceable in a bag for beans or whatever later.

View attachment 281081

View attachment 281090

View attachment 281091
Nice, I take it you don't ever buy bacon anymore...lol

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Nice, I take it you don't ever buy bacon anymore...lol
No sir I don't...lol. I don't really eat that much either but when I want some I have it on hand. It freezes really well and stays good for quite awhile. I usually give most of it away. It's pretty easy to do. It just take a few days to cure. It's about half the price of store bought if you are not factoring in the time to fool with it which is not much.

·
Registered
700 Posts

View attachment 281081

View attachment 281090

View attachment 281091
Now you got me goin.
I`ve had this in my freezer since last October.
A whole side of belly.🐷 I`m going to attempt it.:cautious:
Animal product Food Ingredient Tin can Animal fat

Reactions: Blue97gt

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Now you got me goin.
I`ve had this in my freezer since last October.
A whole side of belly.🐷 I`m going to attempt it.:cautious:
View attachment 281755
If I can be if any help let me know. Be glad to walk ya through how I do it. I have only done bout 10 or so slabs but so far they have all come out pretty good. All better than store bought.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Where you guys getting a whole pork belly? None of the grocery stores I go to sell them:
I get them at our local grocery chain store (HEB). I'm really not sure where else you can find one. I guess it would depend on where abouts ya live. If you have any local butcher shops I guess you could try there. It would probably be more expensive. The ones at our local store are packaged by Swift so it's not the store cutting and packing them up. If you do get one from a butcher just make sure and ask them to remove the skin. From what I read you can do it with the skin on but most prefer skin off so it will soak up the cure more evenly.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Where you guys getting a whole pork belly? None of the grocery stores I go to sell them:
I bought a whole pig from my nephew who raised them. It was 350 pounds when butchered.
Now, he has Black Angus beef cows.He has about 120 now.
I got a half cow last May. (y)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I bought a whole pig from my nephew who raised them. It was 350 pounds when butchered.
Now, he has Black Angus beef cows.He has about 120 now.
I got a half cow last May. (y)
Buying local is the best! I tried to get a hog at the 4H Fair auction this year but the prices got crazy near the end and I waited too long. Good for the kids though. I'll do a half steer at a time but really want to get a hog before winter especially after looking at this thread!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Buying local is the best! I tried to get a hog at the 4H Fair auction this year but the prices got crazy near the end and I waited too long. Good for the kids though. I'll do a half steer at a time but really want to get a hog before winter especially after looking at this thread!
Now`s the time. I got mine this time last year.

2161 - 2171 of 2171 Posts