Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told two different things. I've been told to lay a base of crushed limestone and top it with an inch of sand. I've also been told I can lay the pavers directly on the crushed limestone and forget the sand...still using the locking sand for the gaps, just not underneath.

My plan was to use 4" of limestone, tamp it, cover with 1" of natural sand, lay the pavers, cover with the locking sand and use a tamper to help work it in the gaps. Any professional opinions?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yes I own a landscaping company. I just use the crushed limestone then out the sand between the pavers. I'm
My experience not near as many weeds that way and a hell of a lot less settling. I hate using sand. It's a pain to level out and it will eventually leave your pavers uneven all over the patio in the areas that have the most traffic. I personal would not put sand down for the base

·
Registered
21,609 Posts
We had a large, 1600 sq ft, two level patio done about 12 years ago. Finely leveled sand was the top coat, just underneath pavers, there was one other if I remember correctly, and two layers of landscape cloth (which some argue against) below and above the middle layer. Polymeric sand was used between pavers. We had 4 inch thick Belgard pavers on top of all that and nothing has budged anywhere.

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
My girlfriend is a landscaper, they do quite a bit of hardscape stuff too. They do packed gravel with a layer of sand on top. Not saying it's wrong or right, just saying what they do.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
We did an 18x18 patio between the house and garage. I just dig out the soil, put down a weed barrier and leveled with sand, that was 3 years ago and it is still flat with zero weeds coming through.

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
That sounds like a lot of work. Fuck that.

·
I feared for my life!!!
14,663 Posts
No, but I did lay a girl named Patty O’ Furniture.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I Am also a landscaper and proper procedure is crushed stone then stone dust. Not sand. I have taken many training courses on installation

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
After getting a quote for 10G for a paver patio, I did it myself. I used crushed granite for the base and used granite sand on top of that. I also used the granite sand after the pavers were laid. I resand the cracks every few years. Lay them tight as possible. I used a big rubber mallet to snug them up. My wife wanted curves, so I picked up a chop saw with a diamond blade. Trimming a little off every goddam 3x6 in a curved section was a pain, but let me keep everything nice and tight. The saw also let me cut all the pieces as they met the curve.

·
Registered
824 Posts
This needs to be done over clay correct? I'd like to do a paver patio, but my topsoil runs pretty deep. It'd take a hell of a lot of stone to build back up. Not to mention getting rid of all that top soil.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just remember the better your base is the better the final product will be. I would use a min of 5 inch stone base then use screenings to level.

·
I am The Dentist
50,953 Posts
My dad did a 15x15 paver patio and a walk way the full length of our driveway, at least 20 years ago.
He used a layer of gravel, and set it with a vibrating compactor. Then he put a layer of sand on top of that, and ran the vibrating compactor over it. Then the pavers, with a sand filler layer between them, and ran the vibrating compactor of the pavers. Finished with a final layer of sand between them.

This is in Ohio, and has been through a lot of winters. They pavers fit and are as level today as they were when he put them down.

-Brad

·
Registered
274 Posts
Check for wiring in the ground first before digging? Whats a proven way to dig the perfect depth and level?

Is a certain size brick optimal? I personally like the larger square stones, something like 16X16, much less cracks and individual stones, and most are substantially thinner @ about 1.75". Any reason not to use these?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Anybody ever lay pavers directly over concrete? I also just watched a company put down asphalt then lay the pavers on it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I Am also a landscaper and proper procedure is crushed stone then stone dust. Not sand. I have taken many training courses on installation
What I have is what my local sand & gravel company calls 411 limestone. Most people and local contractors call it chips & dust. it has small gravel and lot of dust. It packs really well. I am in Ohio. Does this sound like a good base. I have talked to other DIYers that said that's what they used as a base, but of course they're not trained.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yea that sounds like our processed stone. I use 3/4" process which is 3/4" stone mixed with dust. Put a layer of about 8" deep and compact. Do it in lifts of about 2-3" each. Your average 5hp compactor co not effectively compact any more then that. You can also add some water to the sub base to help with compaction. you need to set the grade with the sub base. Pitch all water down and away from the house.

Then I use a layer of stone dust. Sand sucks and is best for beaches. Before laying the dust I place 2 pieces of 1/2" Black pipe down. Use a 4' level and pitch the pipes properly. (Should be correct if you did good on the sub base.) careful not to disturb the pipes and put the dust between the pipes and screed it off with a straight 2x4. Now you have a perfect layer of dust to lay the pavers on. Try not to walk on it untill the pavers are set.

After pavers are set and you made all the cuts, put the edging in. I use a pick axe and dig the 3/4" layer of dust out. This sets the edging down half the distance of the paver. After final comparison the edging will still be below the top of the paver.

Use the polymeric and sweep in the joints. run the compactor right on top of the pavers to set the pavers in the dust and to vibrate the polymeric sand into the joints. WEAR A MASK. That stuff is dusty. Sweep off excess and water patio to activate the glue in the sand.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts