Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have 2 tanks, one holds salt, the other some kind of chemical-it recharges based on water usage,
and the tanks are priority to them-the rotators leak now and them, and only they have the parts.
The wife claims something in the water makes her itch, which makes her bitch, lol
I have copper pipes, trying to prevent them from getting eaten up.
What kind of system can I get that would replace what I have, and protect the pipes, and I can maintain.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Reverse osmosis system. End of story.

·
Registered
42,126 Posts
ROs are very sensitive to iron, it will blind the membrane. If you want one and have high iron content, you'll need a manganese prefilter. ROs have a very tight pore at around 100 MWC so there isn't much that will get through it, water is at 18 MWC.

·
Chief Curmudgeon
13,224 Posts
Get a good xx,000 grain demand metered softener & filters

I put 2 parallel 10 mic coarse filters then
2 parallel 5 mic charcoal filters before it hits
the 50,000 grain soft water system (6 person house)
After the filters but before the soft water tank I tapped off to the
refer water and Ice maker and ran it through an additional 5 mic charcoal filter

Make sure there is an iron removal element in the path to the RO system
(RO is acidic I think)
So why you want to drink that?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Well water here in mid Missouri is quite hard with mostly limestone.

I use a generic filter before the softener. Hit the salt tank with a bit of Iron-Out almost monthly. That's about it.

Under the kitchen sink I installed an RO with a third tap. I use it in my coffee maker. Can't remember when I've cleaned the coffee maker other than running the pot and filter parts through the dishwasher.

House is about 40 y.o. We've been here 20 already. All plumbing in the house is copper. Haven't a problem, yet.

Sure hope I haven't jinx'd the place now.

·
Registered
42,126 Posts
Make sure there is an iron removal element in the path to the RO system
(RO is acidic I think)
So why you want to drink that?
An RO is a membrane filter, why would you think it acidic? It shouldn't have any impact on the water's pH.

·
Registered
18,202 Posts
Oh my gawd what a fucking Chinese Fire Drill most of these recommendations are. I'd bet the dry air (low indoor humidity of house in cold climate) could be a cause of your wife's itching. Public Utility Water or "treated" water are not known for making people itch

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Ya, RO on a house with copper pipes seems like a bad idea unless you do some sort of post treatment. RO water is very aggressive and will attack metals, like an acid, since now its acidic.

Get yourself a water test done and have it gone over with someone that knows treatment, however I don't usually hear of itching issues from water unless you had excessive chlorine in the water drying you out. Maybe buy her some lotion? jkjk

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
You don't know what you need until you get your water tested!

We do a 178 panel water test before we recommend any water treatment equipment. In town houses are fine with a softener and a carbon filter, but I won't do anything with out a test for any well water.

·
Chief Curmudgeon
13,224 Posts
An RO is a membrane filter, why would you think it acidic? It shouldn't have any impact on the water's pH.
Pure water has neutral pH of 7.
But if it’s exposed to air, RO water drops down to an acidic pH range of 5 – 5.5.
Pure water actually grabs CO2 right out of the air.
Within about an hour, a glass of pure RO water can drop from a pH of 7
down to a pH of 5.5 or lower and become acidic water.

·
Registered
18,202 Posts
High purity water is "hungry". I make my coffee with high purity water -- it literally rips the flavor out of the grounds meaning you use a lot less coffee beans to make it

Pure water has neutral pH of 7.
But if it’s exposed to air, RO water drops down to an acidic pH range of 5 – 5.5.
Pure water actually grabs CO2 right out of the air.
Within about an hour, a glass of pure RO water can drop from a pH of 7
down to a pH of 5.5 or lower and become acidic water.

·
Registered
9,691 Posts
OVER THINKING THIS GUYS!

1) She is taking HOT showers that dry her skin...... Cooler "quicker" showers are better in the winter.
2) Change her soap to a moisturizing soap.
3) Rub her down with some moisturizer lotion after the shower...... PM me and I will come over and show you how to do this on the wife.
4) Make sure the water conditioner is working properly and get your water tested.
5) Dry skin happens in the winter and is temporary..... Dry pussy happens all year when they get older and it is permanent.

·
Chief Curmudgeon
13,224 Posts
RO water is not acidic..
Try it
Fresh 8 oz short glass of RO water test PH should read close to 7
Leave it out for 30 minutes and retest the very top 1/4" for PH
You should test out at 5.5 to 6
That's acidic

What is water - a bent molecule

Water disassociates in water to H+ (-OH) + HOH

But more toward the acidic side as the (-OH) ion bonds
more quickly leaving more +H ions so it is acidic

Take a chemistry class at the community college - expand your horizons

·
Registered
42,126 Posts
So what do you put downline to remedy RO acidity?
As long as it is 6.5-9.0 don't worry about it. What do you think happens to what you drink when it gets to your stomach and all that acid hits it? Fruit juice and soda can be in the 2.4 range. The problem isn't the gut, it's your plumbing.

·
Registered
783 Posts
As long as it is 6.5-9.0 don't worry about it. What do you think happens to what you drink when it gets to your stomach and all that acid hits it? Fruit juice and soda can be in the 2.4 range. The problem isn't the gut, it's your plumbing.
This....op what exactly did you water fail for? Btw a whole house RO system will cost you the price of a car and take up a 1/4 of your basement.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts