Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Elm is just as good as oak or ash for burning, it has similar btu content per cord when fully seasoned. Give it 2 or 3 years unless you split it very fine.

However its a bitch to split and if its infected with dutch elm it will take longer to season. When the tree dies it sucks up a ton of moisture. Dutch elm infected trees have a bad smell when you split them too.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I can see the red and white striping in your pics. I can also see the lines from the elm bark beetle, which carries the dutch elm fungus with it.

Its definitely American Elm infected with dutch elm. If you are going to use the firewood its a good idea to debark it and burn all the bark.

If you have other elms on your property that you want to save, you need to act fast.

·
stone broke baller
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
I can see the red and white striping in your pics. I can also see the lines from the elm bark beetle, which carries the dutch elm fungus with it.

Its definitely American Elm infected with dutch elm. If you are going to use the firewood its a good idea to debark it and burn all the bark.

If you have other elms on your property that you want to save, you need to act fast.
Thanks for the info. I didn't split any bark yet, but will just to try and see the red/white stripes. Been working my ass off the last month or so and took a lazy day to spend playing/training my pup.

Can you highlight the "lines from the elm bark beetle" on one of my pics?

There's about an acres worth of woods behind where this dead one was, which is what I would call a valley. Don't know if there's any more Elm, but likely. There's a handful standing dead trees scattered around in there and wouldn't be surprised if they had that beetle and fungus. Either that or the vines did them in. I've been cleaning up the woods edge of all the vines and scrub growing. I lost a couple cedars due to that crap and it was climbing the bank towards my driveway. I would love to get a grinder and clean it all up, but doubt that'll happen in my lifetime. Have much more important things to do first.
Bank mowed.jpg

41 - 44 of 44 Posts