Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
stone broke baller
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Speaking of firewood...see the few 2x12s on the right? I was using them for a workbench on my pump jacks out back. But having sat idle for a few years, the weather took a toll on them so out they go. I cut them into 3' lengths thinking the guy may want them too. Are those pieces worth using for firewood or will they burn up too quick?
Tree3.jpg

·
stone broke baller
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Might be elm. Try splitting some, ash will be easy, elm not so much. I'd burn elm over anything, leaves little ashes in stove.
I'm curious so I'll try splitting it when I go out in awhile....still sitting on my ass drinking coffee lol. As heavy as it is, something tells me its hard/dense stuff. I've dropped a few trees and cut them up in the past and don't ever remember any being as heavy as this trunk.

·
Regulator
35,459 Posts
Looks like a dead tree!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
With the poison ivy that embedded itself into that tree i would not give it to anyone to burn... any oils left on the wood can and will fuck up anyone the is allergic to that shit..

I personally avoid poison ivy more than any other thing besides yellow jackets. Both fuck me up bad.
Guy I knew died from breathing in poison ivy smoke about 10 years ago. He and his wife bought a few acres to build a house on and were cleaning up and burning the brush. Turned out it had poison ivy in it and just by breathing the smoke something happened to his lungs.

·
stone broke baller
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
^^^ Now you guys are giving me cause for concern. I knew about breathing the smoke being bad, but didn't think the ivy sitting outside the bark would leach oil into the wood. And all the bark fell of where the ivy was attached. There's a few hairs left that were under the bark at the lowest part of the stump. but no where else did it grow under the bark. If these folks burn that stuff next winter with a bunch of guests present, hate to be responsible for them getting ill or worse! Maybe this guy doesn't know the hazards either

·
Registered
5 Posts
What part of the country are you from? Makes a difference when guessing type of tree. If you are in the East, my best guess is Eastern Elm. Bark is right color and is falling off the trunk like a dead elm would have. What killed it? If it is an elm, most likely Dutch Elm Disease. Invasive beetle brought in to the Country years ago and killed the vast majority of the elms on the East Coast.
As far as value for fire wood, not the best.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
That lumber looks like cedar to me
Speaking of firewood...see the few 2x12s on the right? I was using them for a workbench on my pump jacks out back. But having sat idle for a few years, the weather took a toll on them so out they go. I cut them into 3' lengths thinking the guy may want them too. Are those pieces worth using for firewood or will they burn up too quick? View attachment 104944

·
Registered
5 Posts
CT, well then definitely American Elm.
Really no good for firewood, almost impossible to split by hand plus looking at the ends of the chunks, the wood has already started to rot. Take to the landfill/disposal site or burn in the outdoor fire pit (if you even can get it to go).

·
Registered
17,348 Posts
I would also say Ash. You said its been dead for about 2 years and is dropping its branches and the bark is gone . Ash trees lose their bark and start to drop their branches and Limbs ( relatively quickly) about 2 years after they die.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
^^^ Now you guys are giving me cause for concern. I knew about breathing the smoke being bad, but didn't think the ivy sitting outside the bark would leach oil into the wood. And all the bark fell of where the ivy was attached. There's a few hairs left that were under the bark at the lowest part of the stump. but no where else did it grow under the bark. If these folks burn that stuff next winter with a bunch of guests present, hate to be responsible for them getting ill or worse! Maybe this guy doesn't know the hazards either
Happened to a friend of mine years ago, apparently he said you get poison ivy IN your lungs! He spent 2 weeks in the hospital but is fine now. As far as the logs go I would burn them since you scraped the bark off, but maybe I'm wrong...Racinduallie could tell you for sure, trees are what he does.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Guy I knew died from breathing in poison ivy smoke about 10 years ago. He and his wife bought a few acres to build a house on and were cleaning up and burning the brush. Turned out it had poison ivy in it and just by breathing the smoke something happened to his lungs.
I " liked " your post but in reality i dont like it at all . Im only quoting this so anyone watching understands how bad poison ivy smoke can be . I used to work with a guy that put himself in the ER burning that shit.
He was lucky he did not die.
Sorry for the loss of the guy you knew.

TO THE OP ANY PIECES OF THAT WOOD THAT HAD IVY THAT PENETRATED THE BARK SHOULD BE ROLLED OFF INTO THE BRUSH TO ROT.
IF IT DID NOT PENETRATE THOUGHT THE BARK IT SHOULD BE OK...
ONLY YOU CAN BE THE JUDGE OF THAT ..
FOR AS CHEAP AND PLENTIFUL THAT DEAD TREES ARE ALWAYS PLAY IT SAFE.

THE IVY ITSELF MAY HAVE VERY WELL KILLED THAT TREE IF THE ASH BORES DIDN'T THAT SHIT WILL CHOKE OUT A HEALTHY TREE IN SHORT ORDER.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Not sure what type elm I've burnt but a splitter will split take care of it. Ash does get soft pretty quickly, elm just gets hard. I've burnt some wood that had poison ivy on it just tried to get the majority off and handled with gloves. Maybe I've been lucky.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Ash has a straight grain, elm has a twist to it and is stringy. The leaves look the same. If you find any bark split it open and look at the side profile. Ash will be tan, elm will have red and white lines.

·
stone broke baller
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
CT, well then definitely American Elm.
Really no good for firewood, almost impossible to split by hand plus looking at the ends of the chunks, the wood has already started to rot. Take to the landfill/disposal site or burn in the outdoor fire pit (if you even can get it to go).
You may be right...tried to split and was hard as a rock. Slammed with a sledgehammer and barely left a divot. A sharp 2" scraper would penetrate about 1/4" with a firm wack. I don't see any rot other than the end of one branch. I'll see what the guy wants to do with it after I mention the Poison Ivy. He said he wanted it last month when it was still standing.

·
stone broke baller
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Ash has a straight grain, elm has a twist to it and is stringy. The leaves look the same. If you find any bark split it open and look at the side profile. Ash will be tan, elm will have red and white lines.
I'm still curious so I'll look at a piece of bark tomorrow

21 - 40 of 44 Posts