Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
stone broke baller
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone can tell me what kind of tree this is. I don't remember what the leaves looked like as it died a couple years ago. It's been dropping branches in my driveway lately and the bark is now falling off, so it was time to go. I don't burn wood so I gave it all to some folks up the road who run a Bed & Breakfast. Is it any good for firewood?
Tree1.jpg
Tree2.jpg
Tree3.jpg
Tree4.jpg

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
79,546 Posts
BIRCH OR WHITE OAK?

Reactions: madhawg

·
stone broke baller
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like Ash to me. Also looks like poison ivy vines on it. Ash or some sort of white oak (post oak). I'm leaning more towards ash and it will burn good. Makes sense that it died if it's ash because of emerald ash bore.
Correct on the poison ivy...some nasty shit. I scraped just about all of it off with a rake prior to drpoping it, but still caught that shit, likely from the chips.

You may be correct about the emerald ash borer as I wondered what caused all those pockets/voids under the bark. You can see some of it on this log on the left...
Tree4.jpg

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'm almost 100% positve its ash... The rings and color of the wood give it away. In your last pic I can even tell that your saw was very dull when you cut the log on the right lol.
Ash is my favorite firewood. That shit will burn when it's green! Plus it splits easy

I used to do some logging and still help a buddy log occasionally.

·
stone broke baller
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
In your last pic I can even tell that your saw was very dull when you cut the log on the right lol.
lol From the dark marks...getting hot? It didn't cut very good with the first cut when I dropped it so I put a new chain on to finish the job. Cut like butter after that!

Not much of a saw guy, mostly just maintenance around my property. But I want to learn so I bought a new saw last year...Stihl MS291. And their sharpener so time to learn how to sharpen too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Stihl M291 will be a grat saw for what work you are describing. Ash would also be my guess. The Ash Borer has claimed many trees in the Mid-Michigan area.

StickBBF

Reactions: madhawg

·
stone broke baller
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info! Wasn't sure if it was worth burning and would hate for the guy to come get it and tell me it wasn't worth using.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
With the poison ivy that embedded itself into that tree i would not give it to anyone to burn... any oils left on the wood can and will fuck up anyone the is allergic to that shit..

I personally avoid poison ivy more than any other thing besides yellow jackets. Both fuck me up bad.

·
stone broke baller
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With the poison ivy that embedded itself into that tree i would not give it to anyone to burn... any oils left on the wood can and will fuck up anyone the is allergic to that shit..

I personally avoid poison ivy more than any other thing besides yellow jackets. Both fuck me up bad.
REALLY??? Damn, hate for that to happen. I'll be sure to tell the guy I gave it to. He saw the vines on it a month or so ago so not sure if it matters to him.

I've burned brush piles with that crap in it, but kept my distance and stayed out of the smoke.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Good job staying out of the smoke, it can kill you . If there is ivy on it i personally will not burn it . Way too much at stake .

1 - 20 of 44 Posts