Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know how your PTV clearance is with the LQ4 shortblock and a moderate cam. I have the opportunity to get a set of AFR 1660 small bore 225cc heads for a good price and would like to bolt them onto my 6.0L. I'm concerned that PTV is going to be too tight and flycutting the pistons isn't an option. My pistons now are .013" out of the hole - I'll be using a .052" MLS GM gasket and I know the free drop on the AFR head in question is .114". My camshaft from Ed Curtis is a 224/228 .612/.612 112LSA +4. Would the cam timing need to be pulled back a couple of degrees? Also, does anyone know the depth of the dish in the LQ4 pistons? Will these babies be a slap on 'n' go deal or should I look for something else? The price is too good on these to not walk away from so I'm hoping they'd work out for my setup. Any experienced people, please let me know your findings.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not going to dick around with flycutting pistons with the motor in the truck and I'm sure not going to pull the motor just to do it. Either they work without flycutting or I don't use them.

·
Registered
19,961 Posts
i have AFR 225 heads, i would have to look up the paperwork as far as what #, but with the Wiseco pistons, (valve reliefs), stock GM MLS gaskets, about the same crushed thickness as yours, i made 2 old lifters into solids, and clayed the pistons, i never saw them anywhere near coming close, and i use 1.75 rockers-the cam is 232/240, .612/.626 w/the 1.75 rockers
i had so much clearance i thought something was wrong, lol
i would advise cking though

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
If you can get the heads at such a good price buy them and try them. If they don't work sell them for a little profit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts